The Ballista makes me more excited for the Tonk!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
There is no way the reclaimer can carry it. You can barely get an URSA on the ramp that lowers from the rear.
Can a Starfarer carry it? It's got a big cargo area, with a fairly wide ramp... And I thought I heard CIG talking about it but I have no idea where.

BTW the list of ships that can carry a vehicle with these dimensions is going to be very short. These are big... big vehicles.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Can a Starfarer carry it? It's got a big cargo area, with a fairly wide ramp... And I thought I heard CIG talking about it but I have no idea where.

BTW the list of ships that can carry a vehicle with these dimensions is going to be very short. These are big... big vehicles.
I've heard that the hatch overhead clearance isn't tall enough...I still intend to buy a Ballista and try it out. Maybe if I let the air out of the tires, it will fit? lol

Reactions: Vavrik

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Thought just occurred to me. The Pioneer has some potential, but it's all external potential. It might need some duct tape and maybe some bailing wire during that kind of operation.
We’re going to need a lot of tub boats to get those beasties aloft after a ground deployment.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm wondering if you can grab it with the claw or tractors and place it into the salvage bay.
A) Neither the claw or tractor beams work currently
B) They dont really reach the salvage hold so theres no way to get it in there unless you actually salvage it...

Reactions: Bambooza

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

Considering the URSA barely fits (vertically) in the door, i highly doubt the Ballista can.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
As these missile turrets exist on the back of a vehicle, I can see zero reason why they would not be able to exist on the turret mounts of your favorite cap ship.

Thinking about it the Endeavor with eight Baristas parked in the hangar could deliver some serious long-range Pew.
The Endeavor has a mostly closed in hangar (front door). I don’t see the Ballista being nearly as effective as it would be on the deck of a carrier where it could have a much larger targeting sphere.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Don't worry I can fit 2 of them in my herculese!!! Droppin' Hottin'!!!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The Endeavor has a mostly closed in hangar (front door). I don’t see the Ballista being nearly as effective as it would be on the deck of a carrier where it could have a much larger targeting sphere.
I see what you are thinking especially with Broadsides, but I am thinking of softening a target with concentrated fire before ramming the Endeavour through it.

Think how you'd split a King Ship in half.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I see what you are thinking especially with Broadsides, but I am thinking of softening a target with concentrated fire before ramming the Endeavour through it.

You can do try that but it's a specific use case. on the deck of a carrier might be more doable, assuming we can figure a way to get them onto the carrier. maybe the Hercules M2 @BUTUZ mentioned or the A2. Or maybe we can petition pressure coerce blackmail CIG for more things to do with the Endeavor configuration options?

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora

Nope saw someone try, the door isn't tall enough to get a Ballista in a SF

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

That is bloody brilliant. You don't then need drivers, and you could maybe squad together NPCs for missile control on each Ballista. Maybe NPCs on the Ballista turrets for fighter suppression. Maybe just need one pilot for the Endeavor. Maybe a second for one Ballista. You could load up the Endevor with hundreds of gravity bombs and detonate them after the collision, too. So bloody, but mostly brilliant.

And given the Endeavor can separate, it is possible no PCs would die.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
There is no way the reclaimer can carry it. You can barely get an URSA on the ramp that lowers from the rear.
Same would hold true for the other ships they are making it so that it fits the same ship as a tonk and that is only transported by a Hercules,. Kraken, and Idris if you get creative with how you get them into the ship.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Nope saw someone try, the door isn't tall enough to get a Ballista in a SF
It was probably me; entrance not tall enough, ramp too steep.
I even stripped the turret and missile racks from the vehicle in a desperate attempt to load it ; )

Reactions: Sayora and Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have to say this video is pretty sweet even if it gives Ballista owners the false hope of being able to shoot down an Eclipse.
Yeah, really great work by CIG. I think this demonstrates again the necessity to understand the game dynamics as stated in the past, and to have clarification on them.

If we can link any team's radar, then a stealth ship like the Razor EX could shadow an Eclipse or two and provide targeting data to the Ballista. It's very doubtful the vehicle level sensing on the Ballista can hit a stealth bird, but there are other ways to track a stealth bird. So what are we in for?

Forgot your password?