The Ballista makes me more excited for the Tonk!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The Barista definitely draws a line between ground and air. Perhaps the Nova (I don't need to make a funny name out of the No Va due to what it means in Spanish) is going to be a decent siege weapon?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Apropos of nothing, I really have *NO* interest in doing anything on the ground, other than some off-road shredding in a Cyclone or Ranger.

Ground combat or FPS? I have zero interest...
Thats cool. I have yet to decide what I might end up being good at in the 'Verse but ground attack seems to be something that appeals. Well, until the Barista came along anyway!

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Ballista could make for interesting space game as well. Just imagine you're in a hercules transporting a couple of ballistas, and some pesky raiders appear. Now, Hercules doesn't have it's own missiles, but if you open the cargo bay door, you'll have a nifty backwards-facing missile turret right there.

Or just drop the ballista in space, standalone missile platform. It'll work. Probably. Before being blown to bits.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Ballista could make for interesting space game as well. Just imagine you're in a hercules transporting a couple of ballistas, and some pesky raiders appear. Now, Hercules doesn't have it's own missiles, but if you open the cargo bay door, you'll have a nifty backwards-facing missile turret right there.

Or just drop the ballista in space, standalone missile platform. It'll work. Probably. Before being blown to bits.
Not a herc, but put a few on the deck of a Kraken and things could get interesting..

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not a herc, but put a few on the deck of a Kraken and things could get interesting..
As these missile turrets exist on the back of a vehicle, I can see zero reason why they would not be able to exist on the turret mounts of your favorite cap ship.

Thinking about it the Endeavor with eight Baristas parked in the hangar could deliver some serious long-range Pew.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I never gave the Tonk any thought when it came out, but since the Ballista is out, having some Nova tanks on the prowl starts creating some interesting ground game.
I agree, and I think it has several other creative uses besides. Certainly up until now we would have expected any ship that comes in over the battlefield to reign unchallenged due to the heavier shields, hull and firepower values of ships over vehicles. Until now the best way to kill a tank was probably any ship with a big gun facing downward. Any of the Vanguards would make decent tank killers. Now however, with these big missiles, any ship that gets down on the deck is seriously threatened. Looks to me this alone creates an interesting series of trades and balances.
As long as they dont add artillery. In every game the great unbalancer is always artillery
I'm curious what you mean and how that has worked out in the past. I think artillery is a game changer. Especially in TEST and SC where we have at our disposal almost unlimited human resources, but significant limits how many ships can play together--if vehicles are not counted in that number, then heavy firepower vehicles able to knock down ships become very potent. You can imagine the consequences of half dozen Ballista on the surface for any engagement. The key limit is the number of players available, and TEST has that in spades. I think though, we will probably not see missiles as an effective anti-personnel weapon. They're too expensive. You really want tanks against foot soldiers.
Is there any current way to transport the Ballista in any of the larger ships?
My question too. The only ship I can think of in game now that might haul it is the Reclaimer. Would love to see a test of this. In the future I would not be surprised if the Carrack, BMM and Idris can carry it, and certainly the Hurc will. Also IIRC, there was talk that a sled would be available for the Tonk that would allow it to be carried by the Hull series C and below (those that can land).

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
My question too. The only ship I can think of in game now that might haul it is the Reclaimer. Would love to see a test of this. In the future I would not be surprised if the Carrack, BMM and Idris can carry it, and certainly the Hurc will. Also IIRC, there was talk that a sled would be available for the Tonk that would allow it to be carried by the Hull series C and below (those that can land).
There is no way the reclaimer can carry it. You can barely get an URSA on the ramp that lowers from the rear.

Forgot your password?