The High Republic

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
i think the issue with the last trilogy was that jj abrams had a whole plan and rian johnson fucked it in the 2nd one (and i do mean that both ways), so abrams had to scramble to get the plot to make any sort of sense

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
All I need is a good Admiral Thrawn movie!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gcEVBd6i8
Hell yeah!

You must hate James Bond, Rambo, and Spongebob.
Nope. JB is introduced as a superspai, and does what we expect of a superspai. Also he has flaws and keeps on failing. It makes him human and relatable.
Rambo is introduced as a soldier that's broken, and does exactly that. Damn the whole movie is based on him being broken, so where is the Mary sue in that?

Rei is introduced as a junk collector on a remote world, yet she can do anything the plot requires her to do without any explanation apart from "gurl.power" . The problem isn't that it's a "she" that can do all the things. The problem is that regardless of her being a her, it makes her character very flat and boring to watch. It would make a "white dude" just as boring and unrelatable to watch.
You know, just very small things could have saved her character. Make her act at least a little bit surprised whenever she pulls off a feet that would have made even the most powerful Jedi blush, build more mystery into why she can pull off these moves.
You want a godlike women protagonist? Cool! Explore it more, give it depth, and then it's fine if we only find out at the end that she had all the Jedi ghosts inside or whatever. Make it part of the story, instead of just reeeeee-ing "because it's a waaamen!. Openly mocking and bashing your audience is not the way to go...

Disney keeps desecrating the corps of Star Wars. There is a grade totally of 3 people that I trust to know what Star Wars is. 1: Our cowboy-hatted savor, Dave. 2: The Man that started the EU, Timothy Zahn. 3: Happy himself, John. These are the ONLY people who have shown ANY reverence and understanding of Star Wars. With all the craziness around the making of Rogue One I think it was good just out of dumb luck (I mean you make 5 movies chances are one of them would be at least ok). The whiteboard shows that the people in the room have NO clue.

1: Not pro-war: so you want Star Wars without the War? what does this mean? did everyone ever need to be told this? at what point did anyone think the good guys wanted to fight?
2: Actual endings: so you set this up to go on and on, and then put on a board you want ending? like, hear to the way Disney talks about how much stuff they want to make not buying it.
3: Feelings/Relatable Characters: if you, a pro writer HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS.... we have an issue.... and the fact you put it under "fiction" makes me even more worried.
4: No Single Main Character. THE FIRST THRAWN BOOK is the BEST SW book in this new canon. AND IT'S ALL ABOUT THRAWN!! even when from the perspective of eli vanto It's about his observations of Thrawn.
5: Dinosaurs: anyone remembers ANY dinos in SW? no? space monsters yes. I hope that is what they meant but, not giving me confidence in writing dinosaurs.
6: Sith Empire: so you're telling me the Sith Empire was around 200 years of Episode 1? hmmmm, no.
7: Diversity/Representation/diversity: ok the big one. first I find it funny that it was so important they have it twice! Look nothing wrong with any of that, however, the issue is that when I see a character that has been made to feel a hole like this they are one dimensional. they're whatever characteristic is all the depth that is given them. And that is what is worrying, that we will get a bunch of characters that feel the diversity hole but that is all. Like, remember the girls that kiss in the last SW movie? what were their names? what else do you remember about them? their only reason for existing is to be gay. How is that "Relatable characters" or "Authentic"? Now go watch Critical Role Campain 2. Two of the main party are gay! but guess what! they are SOOOOO much more, they FEEL real and not just "there" check the box. So what I see is people doing this wrong. they say oh I got to have some x characters so they make some otherwise generic people and that use them to feel the x diversity slots that need feeling. What should be done is to build a character and find that diversity in them.

I have no faith in Disney or Lucas under its current tyrannical regime to produce anything Star Wars unless lead by Dave, Zahn, or John (in that order).

TLDR: unless our cowboy-hatted savor gives his blessing (Or Timothy Zahn at least) I have no faith in them.

Is it bad that I know EXACTLY who you are talking about here?
what is if said I always liked Silver Lightsaber Fighter Ace?
Agreed, very well put!

No, it's not bad, it's pretty basic stuff to know them. They are even part of the new canon.
I wanna say Corran Horn but I'm not sure about the silver bit. Holy shit it took me a few seconds but I remembered that name without looking it up on google lol Last time I read those books was 15+ years ago 🤣
Rogue Squadron and Bacta Wars was awesome!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I believe that this will only be a true success in the scale of the original trilogy IF they choose to discard their recent "politically correct" / SJW / identity politics pandering
I gotta be honest with your Talon, I know so many people that say the same thing, but I disagree.

I went to see Force Awakens, it was a Star Wars movie, there were good guys, there were bad guys, there were lightsabers...

I walked out the movie thinking "ok that was a Star Wars movie!".

If I walk into a movie looking for lesbian pansexual transgenderism veganism, I will probably find some!

It is what it is.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I gotta be honest with your Talon, I know so many people that say the same thing, but I disagree.

I went to see Force Awakens, it was a Star Wars movie, there were good guys, there were bad guys, there were lightsabers...

If I walk into a movie looking for lesbian pansexual transgenderism veganism, I will probably find some!

It is what it is.
That's the rub. Visually and sound effects it was a great movie. In fact, I found myself enjoying it far more when watching it in a langue I did not understand. And it could be that Star Wars has always had for the most part poor dialog and it was merely our youth and the visual effects that made the movies so memorable, that as we got older our understanding of gradients of human behavior make us crave deeper characters.

Another that feels flat is the Mandalorian and the deus ex machina use of Baby Yoda.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I wanna say Corran Horn but I'm not sure about the silver bit. Holy shit it took me a few seconds but I remembered that name without looking it up on google lol Last time I read those books was 15+ years ago 🤣
Rogue Squadron and Bacta Wars was awesome!
Corran Horn Was a TOTAL BADASS. Bacta War was one of my favorite books. His lightsaber was silver, and he could turn a nob to over double it in length and turn it purple. he was one of the most technical lightsaber fighters of the New Jedi Order.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken

It is what it is.
Personally I say go ahead and put in the lesbian pansexual transgenderism veganism, I've got no problem with that. But unless it is intentionally the point of the story just let it be in there, when it is put in just to make a statement or inorganically shoehorned into the plot it is detrimental to good story telling. The walking dead does this well in my opinion, there are LGBT characters that are written into the series and it is not done in a jarring way. I would say the same thing about making a point of showing someone as overtly male and heterosexual as part of the story unless it serves the story. Take James Bond for instance, he's a superspai but all his heartless womanizing in the films points to the fact that he's not such a great actual person, it serves a purpose.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Personally I say go ahead and put in the lesbian pansexual transgenderism veganism, I've got no problem with that. But unless it is intentionally the point of the story just let it be in there, when it is put in just to make a statement or inorganically shoehorned into the plot it is detrimental to good story telling.
I agree!

But If you go watch a movie with mindset that wokeness has been injected in because sjw something something, then you will sit there and see wokeness in every single scene and lose your mind!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

It is what it is.
I find that this is how I feel. To a tee. I had no expectations, because Star Wars isn't MY creation. It's someone else's vision that I get to experience. I went for Star Wars, I found Star Wars, I enjoyed Star Wars. Same with TLJ and TRoS.
I spend my real life dealing with real life things. I turn to movies, video games, and books to suspend reality and enjoy something fun, and out of this world. I have no issue with all the digging, dissecting, and analysis that people do of Star Wars . . .but I don't understand it. I don't understand how people can't just enjoy it.
*Shrug* To each their own I reckon. I'm gunna drink this beer now.
I agree!

But If you go watch a movie with mindset that wokeness has been injected in because sjw something something, then you will sit there and see wokeness in every single scene and lose your mind!
A-fucking-men.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Have they said where this occurs in terms of Old Republic/High Republic? Seems to me they are going after similar (not same) eras, but just don't want to pay the original creator.....

If they had just not said....everything but XYZ are not canon anymore, they would already have a starting point, but that have means money out of their pocket.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Have they said where this occurs in terms of Old Republic/High Republic? Seems to me they are going after similar (not same) eras, but just don't want to pay the original creator.....

If they had just not said....everything but XYZ are not canon anymore, they would already have a starting point, but that have means money out of their pocket.
200 years before the the events of the originals, I do believe. I've also heard 400 years before.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken

Yeah I believe it was 200 years. I think they should have gone a lot further back to be honest, 200 years is a long time but it is still close enough to the Skywalker era that they have to at the very least make sure they don't create inconsistencies in the overall story that resonate to that time period. The Galactic republic was supposed to be old like thousands of years old. If they didn't want to use themes from the Old republic games there is still a large chunk of time between then and the skywalker time period they could have plopped down into and just have a lot of latitude as to what they could dream up.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah I believe it was 200 years. I think they should have gone a lot further back to be honest, 200 years is a long time but it is still close enough to the Skywalker era that they have to at the very least make sure they don't create inconsistencies in the overall story that resonate to that time period. The Galactic republic was supposed to be old like thousands of years old. If they didn't want to use themes from the Old republic games there is still a large chunk of time between then and the skywalker time period they could have plopped down into and just have a lot of latitude as to what they could dream up.
True story.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Off topic/thread hijack, but I'm rereading Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and wouldn't Martin Freeman make a great Arthur Dent if they remade the movie?
I'm not sure, these remakes always change something classic though...? If not that I bet they change Marvin the Paranoid Android to something a bit more futuristic but then put the original Marvin in a queue for a Vogon official form or something as an Easter Egg.

I love that series of books, check out the Radio series too if you enjoy as there are some things in it that are not in the book and vice-vercia. Not much obvious in a lot of places but there is an entire section after the Resturant At The End Of The Universe in the radio show not in the book. Fun fact: It was a radio series before it was a book.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?