The Last Jedi - Spoilers

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
doesn't matter - could be that things that I perceive as stereotypes are not that stereotyping . What I was trying to say is - she has really nice performance that was believable and it's not too frequent in movies now :slight_smile:
I feel like she portrayed the character pretty well. All googly-eyed at first, then got serious and ended up saving a life.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I see a lot of people asking for Ackbar to be the one kamikazing the Super Star Destroyer.

I think it would have been a more fitting send off for him....

But also I can totally see Disney doing a hard no on a character named "Ackbar" doing a suicide bombing (especially against an established military with superior gear and numbers- hello parallelisms!)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I see a lot of people asking for Ackbar to be the one kamikazing the Super Star Destroyer.

I think it would have been a more fitting send off for him....

But also I can totally see Disney doing a hard no on a character named "Ackbar" doing a suicide bombing (especially against an established military with superior gear and numbers- hello parallelisms!)
Hahaha, I never thought about that. Too funny!
edit: Both Crude and I are laughing our fucking asses off.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Going through the whole thread here, I got like 4 pages worth of things in my head about how the movie was good and bad. Instead, to summarize:
#notmystarwars

Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Finally watched it today, I've not seen TFA so didn't have any preconceptions based on that:

Frustration mostly centered around the third act:

Why did the Admiral wait so long to take action, as soon as it was obvious the bad guys knew what was going on why not act, could have saved dozens of lives, but then probably too many survivors for the end.

Why did the old base on Crait not have any orbital defense capability like the Ion Cannon on Hoth to prevent the landing in the first place.

Why not enough firepower to even remotely slow down a frontal assault on what was in essence just a big iron door to a cave with no other known way out?

From first act, why send the now lone cruiser without real support, e.g., fueler, to evacuate the rebels? Seemed tactically a fail.
To answer the above from what I saw in the film:

"Why did the Admiral wait so long to take action, as soon as it was obvious the bad guys knew what was going on why not act, could have saved dozens of lives, but then probably too many survivors for the end."

The plan I believe was to lead the fleet away while the transports scampered off, so a deviation from that plan may have taken a few moments to come up with and lets face it a huge battleship wouldn't take that long to decimate a bunch of transports. I do agree the Mon Cal cruiser could have been placed between the fleet and the transports once the target had switched but how long does it take to turn a cruiser? As for having too many survivors for the end, a couple of areal strafes over the trenches would have put an end to that problem no matter how many transports touched down.

"Why did the old base on Crait not have any orbital defense capability like the Ion Cannon on Hoth to prevent the landing in the first place. Why not enough firepower to even remotely slow down a frontal assault on what was in essence just a big iron door to a cave with no other known way out?"

The Hoth base was an active and maintained position - Crait was decommissioned, closed bases don't tend to have tonnes of cutting edge millspec. equipment like ground to orbit Ion Cannons laying around. The stuff left behind was the stuff not worth taking away. Although the base was uncharted it wasn't like a mountain sized door was invisible - anyone stumbles across that, the First Order included, and they'd have some very potent ground to orbit weaponry and the power to keep anyone out trying to take it back if it was left stocked up.

"From first act, why send the now lone cruiser without real support, e.g., fueler, to evacuate the rebels? Seemed tactically a fail."

If it's the last ship capable of carrying that many people, they'll use that ship... Also, it had to get there from somewhere so wherever it was, it used fuel to get there to evacuate everyone. Thats the way I saw it, the lightspeed jump was supposed to be the escape. The Order was not supposed to be able to follow after leaving that system so it would not have been an issue otherwise. Otherwise we don't know what ships they were supposed to meet where.

Line of the film went to Yoda:
Sky Walker: "The Ancient Jedi Texts!"
Yoda: "Oh, read them, have you?"
SW: "Well, I..." *Waives hand dismissively*
Y: "Page turners, they were not..."

It was no Phantom Menace, and that film put me off so much I didn't watch 2, 3 or 7. Overall pretty good.

Also WifeToBe is looking at where we can get a RosieTheCat compatible "Owl Hamster Guinea Pig" (porg) and her favorite line was:
Rey (after blasting hole in building): "Who are they?
Skywalker: "Caretakers."
Rey: "I don't think they like me."
SW: "Whatever gave you that idea?"

Reactions: Blind Owl and Bruce

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Finally watched it today, I've not seen TFA so didn't have any preconceptions based on that:

To answer the above from what I saw in the film:

"Why did the Admiral wait so long to take action, as soon as it was obvious the bad guys knew what was going on why not act, could have saved dozens of lives, but then probably too many survivors for the end."

The plan I believe was to lead the fleet away while the transports scampered off, so a deviation from that plan may have taken a few moments to come up with and lets face it a huge battleship wouldn't take that long to decimate a bunch of transports. I do agree the Mon Cal cruiser could have been placed between the fleet and the transports once the target had switched but how long does it take to turn a cruiser? As for having too many survivors for the end, a couple of areal strafes over the trenches would have put an end to that problem no matter how many transports touched down.

"Why did the old base on Crait not have any orbital defense capability like the Ion Cannon on Hoth to prevent the landing in the first place. Why not enough firepower to even remotely slow down a frontal assault on what was in essence just a big iron door to a cave with no other known way out?"

The Hoth base was an active and maintained position - Crait was decommissioned, closed bases don't tend to have tonnes of cutting edge millspec. equipment like ground to orbit Ion Cannons laying around. The stuff left behind was the stuff not worth taking away. Although the base was uncharted it wasn't like a mountain sized door was invisible - anyone stumbles across that, the First Order included, and they'd have some very potent ground to orbit weaponry and the power to keep anyone out trying to take it back if it was left stocked up.

"From first act, why send the now lone cruiser without real support, e.g., fueler, to evacuate the rebels? Seemed tactically a fail."

If it's the last ship capable of carrying that many people, they'll use that ship... Also, it had to get there from somewhere so wherever it was, it used fuel to get there to evacuate everyone. Thats the way I saw it, the lightspeed jump was supposed to be the escape. The Order was not supposed to be able to follow after leaving that system so it would not have been an issue otherwise. Otherwise we don't know what ships they were supposed to meet where.

Line of the film went to Yoda:
Sky Walker: "The Ancient Jedi Texts!"
Yoda: "Oh, read them, have you?"
SW: "Well, I..." *Waives hand dismissively*
Y: "Page turners, they were not..."

It was no Phantom Menace, and that film put me off so much I didn't watch 2, 3 or 7. Overall pretty good.

Also WifeToBe is looking at where we can get a RosieTheCat compatible "Owl Hamster Guinea Pig" (porg) and her favorite line was:
Rey (after blasting hole in building): "Who are they?
Skywalker: "Caretakers."
Rey: "I don't think they like me."
SW: "Whatever gave you that idea?"
Awesome! Now watch The Force Awakens, haha.

I just saw it again on Sunday. I thought after reading a lot of the stuff and things that I may have come out with more negative opinion, but I found that I liked the movie even more the second time around.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
TFA has two main flaws:
1) non-originality
2) BAAAAD actors (mostly)

but it is still much closer to original SW than TLJ :(

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
How close is it compared to the TPM? 'cause that one put me off for 19 years.
I wouldn't risk viewing it still ... it was digestible for me but wifey was quite vocal about many things in it. In my books kilds shall see episode 6, teens shall see episode 5 AFTER episode 6, and finally youngsters shall see episode 4 ... everything else is absolutely optional and even not recommended . BUT, there are good moments in TFA that you'd appreciate as long as you are not considering it part of SW :)

Forgot your password?