The Return to the Good Star Wars

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
The actor is Hayden. Cameos are by actors not characters.
So no plot advancement from the appearance that you saw either.

I honestly believe you don't even understand what Star Wars is.

Let me help you out here.
Anakin Skywalker's story began in the Force Awakens where he went from ignorant child through padawan to Jedi Knight to Sith Apprentice to being redeemed just before death, to dying to force ghost in Return of the Jedi. His story arc ended.

In Episode 4 and 5 he wasn't a Force Ghost, he lacked the effects of a ghost but was a hallucination as Ahsoka was drowing. The whole sequence played out in Ahsoka's head. In episode 6 he was a hologram. He appeared to be a Force Ghost in the end of Episode 8, meaning the effects normally associated with a ghost, are still to be associated as such.

Also the claim that Anakin always had Ahsoka's back ignores the episode in Rebels where he tries to kill her.

I, myself, will take my cues from the creative team who actually make the stuff. It's not my job to make you see my point of view, but I do get annoyed when people cry "Bad writing" when a plot doesn't go the way they wanted it to. Again, I would love to see your superior synopsis of the perfect season of Ashoka if you are the Tzar of star wars knowledge. Perhaps you could single handedly "Save" the franchise. Space magic shows aren't for poking holes, my friend. They are for fantasy fulfillment. Thats why humans write. So when you say that Hayden was a Cameo, you couldn't see past the real world and into the point the show was trying to make. Just because you saw no plot in those scenes doesn't mean it wasn't there. I've seen a 20 minute video explaining the change in his fighting style and what that meant for his character, for Christ's sake. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Star wars is a fantasy space opera based on Japaneese westerns from the 50's and 60's. Like its source material, it relies heavily on the journey of characters and focuses specifically on characters after death who aim to right the wrongs they made in life. Anakin coming back to guide his former padiwan on a NEW path is 100% what star wars is about. Again, I think what you are looking for resides along Starship Troopers or The Expanse. Hell, with the picky way you watch stuff, you aren't even allowed to enjoy The Fifth Element. And I'm sorry, but if you don't like The Fifth Element, then what are you even doing with your life? Ya know?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

I, myself, will take my cues from the creative team who actually make the stuff. It's not my job to make you see my point of view, but I do get annoyed when people cry "Bad writing" when a plot doesn't go the way they wanted it to. Again, I would love to see your superior synopsis of the perfect season of Ashoka if you are the Tzar of star wars knowledge. Perhaps you could single handedly "Save" the franchise. Space magic shows aren't for poking holes, my friend. They are for fantasy fulfillment. Thats why humans write. So when you say that Hayden was a Cameo, you couldn't see past the real world and into the point the show was trying to make. Just because you saw no plot in those scenes doesn't mean it wasn't there. I've seen a 20 minute video explaining the change in his fighting style and what that meant for his character, for Christ's sake. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Star wars is a fantasy space opera based on Japaneese westerns from the 50's and 60's. Like its source material, it relies heavily on the journey of characters and focuses specifically on characters after death who aim to right the wrongs they made in life. Anakin coming back to guide his former padiwan on a NEW path is 100% what star wars is about. Again, I think what you are looking for resides along Starship Troopers or The Expanse. Hell, with the picky way you watch stuff, you aren't even allowed to enjoy The Fifth Element. And I'm sorry, but if you don't like The Fifth Element, then what are you even doing with your life? Ya know?
The creative team is mum on the subject.

The plot is, effectively, non-existent.
It was a cameo. The cameo's impact on the story was non-existent. Even when you tried, you couldn't say what the impact was. You went on about his story, which was long resolved, and definitely was resolved before this point. Did you not watch The Return of the Jedi?

Like it if you want, that doesn't make it good. The writing and direction were awful. It was the worst season finale I have ever seen, in any show, regardless of genre.

And it isn't just me that didn't like it, the vast majority of the fanbase has checked out.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

It was a cameo. The cameo's impact on the story was non-existent. Even when you tried, you couldn't say what the impact was. You went on about his story, which was long resolved, and definitely was resolved before this point. Did you not watch The Return of the Jedi?

It was filler.

Like it if you want, that doesn't make it good.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy

It was filler.

Like it if you want, that doesn't make it good.
Haha okay dude. Its filler only if you can't pull anything from it. Gotchya. You're better than the writers and better than the authors of the source material. I suppose there should have been subtext subtitles explaining that Anakin retaining Vader in the afterlife is kindof a big deal and a hell of a pay-off for people who have followed his journey closely. But you're right. The old movies have already happened so now nothing else can happen that would add to them. Nope. That would just be filler. I look forward to your takeover of season two. Should be a good one!

My pedantic assholery aside; I think its safe to agree to disagree on this one. Hopefully they have some projects in the future that measure up to what you're looking for. Because more Star Wars is never a bad thing, and trying new things is how we get there.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hopefully they have some projects in the future that measure up to what you're looking for. Because more Star Wars is never a bad thing, and trying new things is how we get there.
Hopefully this is true. But the past is littered with the carcass of many a show that should have not indeed so abruptly, and yet we still have shows that continue well past the point of life support.
how in the world is it still going and renewed for two more years?

Maybe the coming purge of the writers guild will help facilitate a renewed quality of writing?
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the union bosses and studio execs meet well before the start of the strike to find a way the union could save face while letting the studios purge their payroll.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well, the series was written by Filoni and Lucas. I don’t think the writer’s guild has much to do with it.

One review made an excellent case that those who liked Rebels seemed to love it and those who hadn’t bothered with Rebels seemed to have criticized it on superficial grounds. That appears right to me. The complaints here are certainly superficial. Is there even a single complaint here that concerns the story? All I see are purely subjective judgements that serve preconceptions people have.

When I say there’s nothing about story, I mean not a single complaint about the creative choices made by Filoni and Lucas as to the actual story dynamics. What do we think of the Dathomir storyline and sisters, etc?

Just sayin’ there’s nothing here informing. Compare that against the educated but neutral stance taken by Star Wars Theory, and the like. Those who know the subject love this series.

Reactions: Han Burgundy

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Haha okay dude. Its filler only if you can't pull anything from it. Gotchya. You're better than the writers and better than the authors of the source material. I suppose there should have been subtext subtitles explaining that Anakin retaining Vader in the afterlife is kindof a big deal and a hell of a pay-off for people who have followed his journey closely. But you're right. The old movies have already happened so now nothing else can happen that would add to them. Nope. That would just be filler. I look forward to your takeover of season two. Should be a good one!

My pedantic assholery aside; I think its safe to agree to disagree on this one. Hopefully they have some projects in the future that measure up to what you're looking for. Because more Star Wars is never a bad thing, and trying new things is how we get there.

It didn't advance the plot of the series. We already knew that Anakin was redeemed, if you followed the series. This series did not feature the world between worlds or Anakin's Force Ghost in any meaningful way. There is nothing to show that Anakin's Force Ghost was in Eisode 4 or 5 and unless the "World between Worlds was seriously retconned, it doesn't work th eway the hallucination/dream did in Episode 5.

I never said nothing can happen, I said we already know the part you are trying to claim is the new addition. It's not new. Anakin was redeemed in 1983.

What did Anakin's appearance add to the plot of this series?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well, the series was written by Filoni and Lucas. I don’t think the writer’s guild has much to do with it.

One review made an excellent case that those who liked Rebels seemed to love it and those who hadn’t bothered with Rebels seemed to have criticized it on superficial grounds. That appears right to me. The complaints here are certainly superficial. Is there even a single complaint here that concerns the story? All I see are purely subjective judgements that serve preconceptions people have.

When I say there’s nothing about story, I mean not a single complaint about the creative choices made by Filoni and Lucas as to the actual story dynamics. What do we think of the Dathomir storyline and sisters, etc?

Just sayin’ there’s nothing here informing. Compare that against the educated but neutral stance taken by Star Wars Theory, and the like. Those who know the subject love this series.
Lucas had nothing to do with this series. What series are you talking about?

One review, may have said that. Other reviews went completely the other way. Yes, that includes people that watched both Clone Wars and Rebels. Valiant Renegade and Echo base are two such reviewers. In fact Echo Base, which was an entirely Star Wars channel has pulled the plug on Star Wars reviews for the future and have revamped their entire channel. I loved Star Wars Theory comparing Qui Gon's saber wound to Sabine's. That was actually rather funny.

Have you seen it yet?

Complaints about creative choices made in the story, you mean like pacing, direction, lack of character development, stupidity of the protagonists, stupidity of the antagonist, the complete incompetence of Thrawn, that kind of stuff? How about retconning a central tenant of all 9 of the main movies?

The ratings are abysmal. Even Disney is clearly not 100% behind it or they would have already green lit Season 2, which they haven't as of today.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
It didn't advance the plot of the series. We already knew that Anakin was redeemed, if you followed the series. This series did not feature the world between worlds or Anakin's Force Ghost in any meaningful way. There is nothing to show that Anakin's Force Ghost was in Eisode 4 or 5 and unless the "World between Worlds was seriously retconned, it doesn't work th eway the hallucination/dream did in Episode 5.

I never said nothing can happen, I said we already know the part you are trying to claim is the new addition. It's not new. Anakin was redeemed in 1983.

What did Anakin's appearance add to the plot of this series?

Alright mayte. Agree to disagree. Art is subjective and you didn't care for this particular commercial venture from the Disney corporation. That's cool and totally fine. You are completely entitled to your opinion, as am I. And we shall both participate in this grand experiment called capitalism by voting with our wallets.
😉

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You don’t need to agree to disagree. Anakin was obviously there to extend the character arc of Ahsoka. You need to be neck deep in your own shit to think a ghost needs a character arc. The ghost was there to provide the necessary mechanism for Ahsoka’s development, in exactly the same sort of way we saw Obi Wan in ESB. And this is what I’m saying: all the whiny fucking complaints say more about the complainers than the actual story.

Complaints Sabine didn’t die from a light sabre wound—like we haven’t seen that before. Complaints that Ahsoka’s character was flat, until we see that is by design and gets fixed through her interaction with Anakin. Complaints about character development from like episode 2? WTF?

I say just ignore them. These guys would never make these complaints in person for fear of getting bitch slapped into the next decade. It’s just trolls being trolls. They will likely do all these exact same things with Skeleton Crew—start whining the moment word of the project comes out and whine continually like a baby that needs a tit in its mouth. It’s just self aggrandizing nonsense. I can hear the trolls already, “it’s written for kids”. Almost all Star Wars is written for kids, you dumb fuck.

If the trolls had some integrity they’d confine themselves to whining about the Boba Fett and Obi Wan projects. Those earned their complaints.

And yes, I binged my way through. I think the series is good enough to watch over and over and I’m disappointed I can’t pay too much to get it on disc of some sort. Certainly I’ll watch it again just before season 2 airs. Just gotta bribe one of my brothers with theater tickets again to get him out of his own house.

I think offering three villainous forces (Thrawn, Dathomir and whatever unknown is with Ray Stevenson’s character) is just top shelf. When it comes to story dynamics, the villains run the show and providing a triad of evil, one point of which remains undefined; that’s inspired.

Personally, I would have loved to see more Ezra here, but this is Ahsoka’s platform and let’s recall that when this was written, Filoni still expected Rangers to be a thing. My guess is early iterations expected Thrawn to get picked up in the Rangers storyline. Now with Rangers out, seems Thrawn and Ezra need to duke it out here. That means to avoid becoming back seat in her own project, Ahsoka is going to saddle up tall and heroic, against not just Thrawn. Can’t wait to see what that’s about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Han Burgundy

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You don’t need to agree to disagree. Anakin was obviously there to extend the character arc of Ahsoka. You need to be neck deep in your own shit to think a ghost needs a character arc. The ghost was there to provide the necessary mechanism for Ahsoka’s development, in exactly the same sort of way we saw Obi Wan in ESB. And this is what I’m saying: all the whiny fucking complaints say more about the complainers than the actual story.

Complaints Sabine didn’t die from a light sabre wound—like we haven’t seen that before. Complaints that Ahsoka’s character was flat, until we see that is by design and gets fixed through her interaction with Anakin. Complaints about character development from like episode 2? WTF?

I say just ignore them. These guys would never make these complaints in person for fear of getting bitch slapped into the next decade. It’s just trolls being trolls. They will likely do all these exact same things with Skeleton Crew—start whining the moment word of the project comes out and whine continually like a baby that needs a tit in its mouth. It’s just self aggrandizing nonsense. I can hear the trolls already, “it’s written for kids”. Almost all Star Wars is written for kids, you dumb fuck.

If the trolls had some integrity they’d confine themselves to whining about the Boba Fett and Obi Wan projects. Those earned their complaints.

And yes, I binged my way through. I think the series is good enough to watch over and over and I’m disappointed I can’t pay too much to get it on disc of some sort. Certainly I’ll watch it again just before season 2 airs. Just gotta bribe one of my brothers with theater tickets again to get him out of his own house.

I think offering three villainous forces (Thrawn, Dathomir and whatever unknown is with Ray Stevenson’s character) is just top shelf. When it comes to story dynamics, the villains run the show and providing a triad of evil, one point of which remains undefined; that’s inspired.

Personally, I would have loved to see more Ezra here, but this is Ahsoka’s platform and let’s recall that when this was written, Filoni still expected Rangers to be a thing. My guess is early iterations expected Thrawn to get picked up in the Rangers storyline. Now with Rangers out, seems Thrawn and Ezra need to duke it out here. That means to avoid becoming back seat in her own project, Ahsoka is going to saddle up tall and heroic, against not just Thrawn. Can’t wait to see what that’s about.
Here are the reviews you're looking for: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg-IgHIZfuqWi2HkivrgVanBqF65gTAeY&si=tF2xIvhuLN8CGfd[

Last edited:
Forgot your password?