The Return to the Good Star Wars

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
...I liked the part where blue lightsaber man got mad and turned into red lightsaber man. It's deep because it presents the audience with the duality of lightsaber man and how he differs from other lightsaber men. He swings both ways, you see.

The world Between Worlds is low-key going to be a ret-con machine to undo the shitty sequel movies.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Still a good call in the OP regarding the quality of this series.

I continue to watch this series for reliable Star Wars and look forward to it each week.

This show also is proving that the future of good Star Wars for the modern era is in episodic television.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I know your really excited about Ashoka being great @Shadow Reaper and i hope that when you get achance to watch it for yourself its all you hoped it would be. But for me it was meh then the I was excited when Sabine gets stabed in the gut with a lightsaber. Finally some meaning and consequences to drive Ashokas story arc forward. But then nope it was just a easily healed flesh wound nothing to it.

While I watched a little more of episode 2 I soon realized it was just going to be another shallowly written on rails story where words and actions really have no conciquinces as to why the chars are where they are or what they are doing.

It's like the writers are hitting check boxes on a requirement list and not really paying attention to the story arcs or world building. The best analogy I can think of is all of the track homes I've seen they look good on paper have all the features you could want. But when you walk in the front door it is just a mess of a layout and design.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
It's like the writers are hitting check boxes on a requirement list and not really paying attention to the story arcs or world building.
So here's where I disagree, basically Ashoka follows the legacy books of "Heir to the Empire" as we all know. Since the books included the original cast which at this point I believe they are in the process of creating a new family to proceed forward using those legacy stories and will only be mentioned occasionally. They can't use Mara Jade (yet) so speculation is that the Shin Hati character is replacing her. This now gives Ahsoka the ability to rebuild a small force of Jedi who then return and continue to rebuild the Jedi Order.

The show is 7 years after the battle of Mandalore which means Darth Vader is dead and at the timeline of Ahsoka there are only a few remaining Jedi still alive, according to the link there are 14. During Ahsoka Inquisitor Marrok is killed and I think that going forward Palpatine and Snoke aren't going to play much of a role I hope.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think people’s perceptions are being colored by perverting influences and primarily, what you want the outcome to be.

The observations of those who love the series are completely at odds with the complaints here. So what gives?

I think if what you really want is to whine and complain, and pretend you have valid criticisms, you’re gonna do that. (We Christians are stuck here since we’re commanded to do all things without whining and complaining. This changes your character. ) If OTOH you want to see the franchise restored to its glory, you can probably find a lot in these 8 episodes to support that.

I’ll watch it when I can but probably won’t post about that here. Pearls before swine and all that. Just saying though, certainly the critics are saying the whole series is good. It’s as good as Clone Wars and Rebels and IMHO, Rebels is easily some of the best SW ever. Looks like Filoni pulled it off and makes me wonder what the upcoming film has to offer. I’m thrilled Filoni wrote Ahsoka’s story arc the way he did. Great to see her heal like that and answers all the complaints about her laconic attitude. It was all according to design.

Great writing

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So here's where I disagree, basically Ashoka follows the legacy books of "Heir to the Empire" as we all know. Since the books included the original cast which at this point I believe they are in the process of creating a new family to proceed forward using those legacy stories and will only be mentioned occasionally. They can't use Mara Jade (yet) so speculation is that the Shin Hati character is replacing her. This now gives Ahsoka the ability to rebuild a small force of Jedi who then return and continue to rebuild the Jedi Order.

The show is 7 years after the battle of Mandalore which means Darth Vader is dead and at the timeline of Ahsoka there are only a few remaining Jedi still alive, according to the link there are 14. During Ahsoka Inquisitor Marrok is killed and I think that going forward Palpatine and Snoke aren't going to play much of a role I hope.

Oh wow, I have no idea how anyone could stretch and twist this show into anything remotely connected to the OG Thrawn Trilogy.
This is set 7 years later, the books are set 5. We can't be past the books event's, cos Thrawn, spoiler alert, is still alive. So let's just ignore this discrepancy in the timeline.

The books are a series of battles, some spy action, political scheming, and ofc the story of a crazed clone of a jedi, Jorus C'boath trying to capture Luke, and also Leia's twins for his needs.
None of this is even hinted at.

In the books Thrawn hasn't gone anywhere since he was at Endor, he controls what's left of the Empire, about 1/3rd of the Fleet, and poses an actual threat.
Here he has a broken ship, some fanatical troopers (something he would never ever allow), and a bunch of magical hags who don't even really support him, and that's it. He is a total moron here, instead of being a genius. And fat, and bent. He is trying to get back from the galaxy he is at, but for what reason? Dunno...

I do see how introducing a mad Dark Jedi could lead to Ashoka and maybe some apperentice of hers taking the place of Luke+twins in that arc.
But so far we had a Dark jedi with a red lightsaber, a proper screen presence, but nothing pointing to him being mad with lust for power or going anywhere near the og storyline. So again, he is out as a possible connection. He is also, sadly passed away and won't be in any S02 if those even happen.

We do have Luke, we have seen him multiple times in the babyYoda shows. He is doing what he is supposed to, searching for more potential Jedi and rebuilding the order. What he is not doing is going after the crazed dark jedi, or assisting in the stopping of Thrawn, because... why? Oh yeah right, we don't actually have a threat to stop. After a full season. There is no stakes, no threat to fight, because the supposed main villain is still a galaxy away, with nothing to his name.

We can't have Mara Jade because she is strong of character, the antithesis of the stronk-female character. She is also a readhead, so nope. Can't have her. Apart from these, there is no reason why we couldn't have had her introduced in any of the shows that fall into this timeframe. I'm glad they didn't butcher her just yet though...

We are not introduced to any of the sub plots of the books either. There is no equivalent in sight for the character of Talon Karde or the Smugglers Allience. There is also no mention of spies, there is no mention of anti-force pets, there is no Noghri (bodyguards/assassins of very high ranking Imps like Vader), there is nothing pointing to this ending up at a cloning facility where they will have to fight Luuke (not a typo).

This show doesn't really do anything. It does jangle some keys (Anakin still has the skills yo, wipes the floor with the rest of the saber wielders), and shows us some characters you either know from the cartoons or get no idea why you should give a damn. But it spends 8 hours with what can only be described as: - Some sidecharacter from an old cartoon finds a thing, thing leads to guy they search for, they get there via space whale farts. They find blue man. They leave. The end.
Why the hell is it important to find this fat blue guy? Just because he is dangerous. Do they show he is dangerous? No, quiet the opposite.
Do we get to know and care about our "heroes"? Nah, not really. One is a condescending socksforhair who can't move faster than a turtle despite her original drawn character being the equivalent of a bouncy ball in a small box, always full of energy and acting fast. One with the wokehair is just an outright bad person who should be in jail, not becoming an apprentice without any force sensitivity. The third should also be in jail for bringing a kid into a battle, and for getting a bunch of pilots killed in the process of what was supposed to be a stealthy scout missions. Or at least demoted to potato peeler aka kitchen manager assistant, cos she sure as hell isn't showing any of the skills needed to be a 5dot General. Nice ass though.

Reactions: Bambooza and Chemus

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
This is set 7 years later, the books are set 5. We can't be past the books event's, cos Thrawn, spoiler alert, is still alive. So let's just ignore this discrepancy in the timeline.
What does time have to do with it? They're using the plotline of Heir to the Empire, why care about the timeline unless it's specific to Disney's work on the IP. What small differences in the story based on those two comparing timelines is of no consequence.
Why the hell is it important to find this fat blue guy? Just because he is dangerous. Do they show he is dangerous? No, quiet the opposite.
Yes he is dangerous, he's got a strategic mind that very few have beaten. You may not see that as dangerous, but I do, knowing someone has a tactical advantage over me means I have to deal with the idea that they already see what I'm doing on a chessboard and can either attack me directly or lure me into a trap. If I am standing in front of a man with a lightsaber and anger issues. I already know I'm not likely to win. The former can easily lull me into a false sense of security.

Forgot your password?