The Tally

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’ve wanted to revisit this ship since she had her SCM speed increased. It was always the Retaliator’s dreadful combat speed that put me off her. I can clearly recall from my first days in the game, falling in love with what reminded me of the B1 bomber, or “Bone”, which she is clearly modeled after. She’s half Bone and half Seaview.

The Tally’s SCM has been brought up to 200, and her NAV to 1,000. So she is now a competitive warship. She has several other things changed, chief amongst them probably, that she has 6 S2 shields. Also of key note is that unlike almost all other ships in her size class that have 16k IR signature, she projects only 12k. Count me interested.

I like stealth and I love Sukoran shields, because they require much less power, generate much less signature, and partially block ballistics. Turns out having at least a single Sukoran onboard has interesting outcomes.

Let’s suppose for a moment that the current narrative is true and when armor is a thing, it will bring with it the Void Armor option, that provides -40% EM, IR and RCS signatures, just as in the Sabres, Ghost Hornet, etc. You equip that, and make flying with all weapons, and 5 of the 6 shields off, and your stealth switch on, your Standard Operating Procedure. That should give you EM and IR signatures of just 8k. That’s a really great sig for such a large ship, especially with a ballistic blocking shield running, and entirely because of your stock 12k IR.

That makes every form of the Tally stand out. What are there, 6 different combinations of modules? Combined with 6 shields and 5 turrets? And torps. And Titansuits. And living quarters. And VTOL.

The refresh rate on 6 shields must make it our best Close Air Support platform.

Unconfirmed, but spviewer says the manned turrets can be replaced by the X85 twin S2 remote turret, which would hand it off to pilot control. If that’s true and you replaced three of them, the pilot would have say, 6 Attrition 2 with ~3,000 dps.

Definitely worth checking. Don’t neglect to check out the gold pass updated ship sounds. Bangin’!

Last edited:
  • Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Interesting ideas in regards of gaining additional stealth in an approach. What if you had an ARGO STV tow it, get up to speed, then after traveling towards the target for a while, suddenly cut the tractor beam & get out of the way of the Tally while it's desync'd? Which should allow for its engines to be cold from having been off. Might drop the heat signature by a point or so, just remember to fire them up immediately after launching the S9 torps to make the escape.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I have not done or thought about any of that advanced stuff. She flies nice. Just the right amount of gravitas.

All I know is. Test Tally is love. Test Tally is life.
1728491207034.png

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’m right there with Talon. Sneaky Pete moves are what war is about. I agree, your idea bears serious investigation.

I have had several friends ask how I would fit out the Retaliator. I suppose that’s worth mention despite how much components will change.

I would personally swap all 10 Panthers for Attrition III. Leave them all switched off and use the Voice Attack command to toggle between “Stealth” and “Battle Stations” to toggle them all on. Leave 1 Sukoran on and switch on/off 5 FR-76 with the same command. (Replace FR-76 with the new Competition B Haltor if spviewer has these stats right. All new to me.). Leave one Eclipse reactor on and toggle on/off a Genoa reactor to quadruple power with the same command. Equip 2 S3 Chillmax coolers and leave them on.

So far as I am aware, the Retaliator is the only ship with 2S2 reactors and 2S3 coolers. With only a stealth reactor and engines heating and 2 gigantic Industrial A coolers dumping 35,200 heat per second, the Tally has to be the record setter for fastest heat dump. It will dump any amount of heat generated within mere seconds and so reenter stealth after a hard engine burn. This makes towing for stealth a luxury notion, maybe not necessary (but still worth checking.). BUTUZ will need to tell us but it appears with everything on and afterburners glowing, the IR will never climb above about 11k with these coolers running. (Doesn’t matter. The EM will spike with all these shields running, but you don’t need to hide with them on. The shield refresh is insane, ~2,200/s and 40% ballistics. Not as good as an S3 shield, but not shabby at all. The difference is this ship can stealth.)

Given S2 Q Drives are so small and easy to handle, I would keep at least 2 aboard that maximize range or speed at the Captain’s discretion. Maybe a Civilian A Hemera for in between.

The only other question I see is whether the spviewer is correct that the turrets can be refit with X85 remote turrets wearing Attrition 2s. If that is true, I think it needs someone in the pilot seat to determine whether any of the three aft turrets can and should be given the pilot. The 2 foreword turrets are a no brainer, but if the pilot can get clear shots forward from 1 of the aft turrets, I’d be thrilled for the pilot to have 6 S2 guns, 2 turret gunners and an engineer. It’s a big ship but 4 players seems enough. 3 NPCs can stand security. There’s room to sleep 7, so I’m sure players will make different choices here. I prefer a crew of 4, including an engineer.

If you want to live aboard, you’ll need the rear module living quarters with galley, and have to get by with just 4 torps. Short missions you should be able to equip 6 torps. I wish you could swap out a module for computers, electronic warfare and S3 sensors. Maybe that’s a surprise CIG has for us.

This ship was made to disappear from sensors. That’s the only reason I can think they gave it 2S3 coolers.

BUTUZ is offering free rides to anyone who wants to check it out.

Edit: I made that last bit up.

Last edited:
  • Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?