Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja

Ever since I became a gamer way back when, ive been an Nvidia man, right back to the first graphics card i ever bought. When it came to my current build about 6 months ago, i thought, Oh look! the bang for buck is so much better with AMD and bought 2 R9270X's.

Now i deal with shit like this every day, the above pic is in game in Witcher 3 (and is not unique to it), and whatever settings i try to use i simply cannot get crossfire to kick in. My graphics drivers die *regularly* (seriously, it doesnt surprise me when my game crashes completely 3-4 times an hour.) About 3 in every 4 reboots my graphics drivers have reset all my graphics settings (and i have to set everything up again.)
Also roughly 3 in every 4 boots (but not necessarily the same boots) I have simply abysmal performace (like getting 5 fps in the menu of a game, and no im not kidding, that* bad) Im getting roughly 1 in 6 boot ups that result in my computer working properly.

I cant wait till i can sell these cards, and buy a replacement card with GTX written on it.

/rant

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato

Ever since I became a gamer way back when, ive been an Nvidia man, right back to the first graphics card i ever bought. When it came to my current build about 6 months ago, i thought, Oh look! the bang for buck is so much better with AMD and bought 2 R9270X's.

Now i deal with shit like this every day, the above pic is in game in Witcher 3 (and is not unique to it), and whatever settings i try to use i simply cannot get crossfire to kick in. My graphics drivers die *regularly* (seriously, it doesnt surprise me when my game crashes completely 3-4 times an hour.) About 3 in every 4 reboots my graphics drivers have reset all my graphics settings (and i have to set everything up again.)
Also roughly 3 in every 4 boots (but not necessarily the same boots) I have simply abysmal performace (like getting 5 fps in the menu of a game, and no im not kidding, that* bad) Im getting roughly 1 in 6 boot ups that result in my computer working properly.

I cant wait till i can sell these cards, and buy a replacement card with GTX written on it.

/rant
My assumption with so many errors, is that you may have a bum card. Seriously, that's the only conclusion I can make for so many problems. I recently crossfired my 7970 with a second one. Had a couple hitches, but after a while, I got it working just damn fine.

My advice is to buy graphics cards from reputable manufacturers that have a great RMA policy, like XFX and MSi.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
These are Asus cards, the retailer told me to talk to asus, asus told me to talk to amd, amd told me to talk to the retailer :/

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
These are Asus cards, the retailer told me to talk to asus, asus told me to talk to amd, amd told me to talk to the retailer :/
Oh jesus. Never buy ASUS GPU's. Their customer service is shit.

My advice: Start saving up for the 390X HBM card, and as soon as it comes, snag it. Dump those R9 270's onto the used card market or as standalone GPUs for troubleshooting.

Reactions: Karab and SPRNinja

Devil Doge

Grand Admiral
Mar 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Double_Jinx
your first problem is that you went for crossfire instead of getting one really good card. seccond, the witcher is a special case. word has gotten out that nvidia fucked amd when it came to optimization

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
your first problem is that you went for crossfire instead of getting one really good card. seccond, the witcher is a special case. word has gotten out that nvidia fucked amd when it came to optimization
This. Another example of nVidia being anticompetitive bitches. This is why I wish the Feds would just kick them in the balls at least once.

Great products, bad business practices that hurt the future of the gaming hobby.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
I hope you'll give AMD another chance, SPRNinja! :p
well.. tbh im still tempted to get a 290X cause of the bang for buck and i dont have to risk Xfire issues...

**BUT** im heavily leaning towards the 980, even tho its half again as much as a 290 ireally dont have the money to take another punt on a card, i need the next one i get to perform, and perform well, and continue to perform well, a 980 seems like the best bet.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
290x from ebay problem solved
A-a-actually, Karab might have some spare graphics card better than a 280 that he can sell. They're used, but should still be able to work fine. Fuck me, they're all sold.

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3
coming from a die hard Nvidia fan..am keeping an eye out for the 390... It doesn't really pay to play fanboy now a days. I've had plenty of nightmares with 980's sli so the grass is not always greener.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Yea... i dunno, its just that after 4 builds with Nvidia, this is my first AMD build... and its without a doubt the worst and most troublesome build ive ever had

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3
am having witcher 3 crashes with the damn cards that were meant to be all the rage to run this game on.. that's pretty sad!

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
In general im completely over the graphics card wars, cause its the customers that suffer

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Yea... i dunno, its just that after 4 builds with Nvidia, this is my first AMD build... and its without a doubt the worst and most troublesome build ive ever had
I've had my share of bumps with AMD builds before, had some DOA motherboards for AMD CPUs in the past, and a couple of DOA Sapphire 4870 and 5870 GPU's in the past. Fortunately, the RMA process was relatively painless compared to ASUS. :P

Devil Doge

Grand Admiral
Mar 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Double_Jinx
never ever ever choose crossfire or sli until you already have the top of the line card. you take a nerf to both cards when you run crossfire/sli

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
AMD just released new beta drivers...

will give an update on whether this is better or worse once they are installed lol

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
I'm a big fan of the Arma series, so it's all Intel and nVidia for me.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
So I posted in another thread about the horrible black scan line issues I was having with crossfire on my 7970's. Turns out it wasn't AMD, drivers, or the Witcher 3 Nvidia fuckery. I reseated my crossfire bridge and now it works. Doh, the shame is real.

That said, when I enable crossfire for Witcher 3 it is bad. The frame flicker is appalling and at certain points when looking at the sun it just wrecks everything and all shadows suddenly start an epileptic dance of flashing hate.

I've changed all the setting I can to get it stable but even with everything turned off it's the same. The few moments I do actually get x-fire working in game, the fps only increases by 5. Considering it makes the world look like it is vibrating I am running with crossfire enabled but full screen windowed mode as nothing else works. To be fair it does seem to perform okay with one card but I'm not getting the 60fps@1080p I would want. With everything on ultra I am able to stay above 30fps. Not ideal but I go for shiny over super smooth in single player games.

Roll on DX12 & Win10.

Witcher 3 will utilize DX12 apparently. Also Batman....that is all.

Forgot your password?