Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
So I posted in another thread about the horrible black scan line issues I was having with crossfire on my 7970's. Turns out it wasn't AMD, drivers, or the Witcher 3 Nvidia fuckery. I reseated my crossfire bridge and now it works. Doh, the shame is real.

That said, when I enable crossfire for Witcher 3 it is bad. The frame flicker is appalling and at certain points when looking at the sun it just wrecks everything and all shadows suddenly start an epileptic dance of flashing hate.

I've changed all the setting I can to get it stable but even with everything turned off it's the same. The few moments I do actually get x-fire working in game, the fps only increases by 5. Considering it makes the world look like it is vibrating I am running with crossfire enabled but full screen windowed mode as nothing else works. To be fair it does seem to perform okay with one card but I'm not getting the 60fps@1080p I would want. With everything on ultra I am able to stay above 30fps. Not ideal but I go for shiny over super smooth in single player games.

Roll on DX12 & Win10.

Witcher 3 will utilize DX12 apparently. Also Batman....that is all.
I want to point out that this isnt a knee jerk reaction, i tried both* cards individually, a different crossfire bridge. and using both my old cards (GTX285's), its not a sli issue, it appears not to be a card issue, its a xfire issue *with these cards*

it really pisses me off after spening 500NZD on GFX cards, i could have had a 970 or 290x for that price

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I, personally, am running the witcher 3 at a solid frame rate that is butter smooth and pretty damn constant with hairworks on for geralt only and all max settings otherwise (not ultra, I mean REAL max settings). I have never crashed once, and I have played for upwards of 12 hours without stopping. The R9 290X runs the witcher 3 beautifully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil Doge

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I, personally, am runnnig the witcher 3 at a solid frame rate that is butter smooth and pretty damn constant with hairworks on for geralt only and all max settings otherwise (not ultra, I mean REAL max settings). I have never crashed once, and I have played for upwards of 12 hours without stopping. The R9 290X runs the witcher 3 beautifully.

I used fraps to measure but honestly there's no frame lag and it's barely noticeable that it's between 30-50- fps
I presume buttery smooth would mean 60+?
What does REAL max settings mean? messing with ini/config files. Is real max settings something above ultra? I'm confused.
also what is the impact for you turning the hair on for geralt, significant drop?

edit: no crashing either.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Apparently I'm not the only one with these issues.

AMD community thread
AMD optimisation (turn down/off tessellation for the hair if you want it on. Turn off AA if you crossfire - I kind of think AA is pretty important sooooo...)

edit: I'll update on my crossfire performance after installing yesterday's release of the 15.5 beta drivers.

p.s. ini tweaks for those of you with monster rigs and nVidia card (jk).

Last edited:

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I have to get Witcher 3 and see how bad they fucked AMD with that one. I have absolutely no performance issues with anything with an FX-6300 and an overclocked R9 290 (keep in mind the actual performance difference between an R9 290 and R9 290X is about 5-7%).

Also when I was crossfiring my 6850s (good old days) I had trouble with Afterburner showing 0% usage on the 2nd GPU for some retarded reason.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I'm getting a new GPU soon and have been umm-ing and ahh-ing for the last couple of weeks. I'll either get an R9 290x (cheaper) or a gtx 970, but I'm definitely edging more towards the 970.

I built my first desktop build last year, so I've not really had much experience with either NVIDIA or AMD, but my processor is AMD (FX8350) and my card is NVIDIA (gtx 750ti), so I'm fairly neutral. Always seems to be a massive pissing contest on any internet forums with fanboys of each company everywhere.

My mate keeps telling me to wait until AMD release their new 300x series/NVIDIA release the 980ti to see if prices drop dramatically for the R9 290x or the GTX 970. Honestly, I can't be arsed with the drama of it all and waiting for the new GPUs seems like a fool's errand as you just end up waiting for ever for the 'next' ones.

Eh, I guess I'll just get the 970, despite the higher expense. A treat for myself for finishing my Bachelors degree.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I say get a 780ti. Cheap and runs 4th on the benchmark score. I've always had nothing but issues with amd and never have had the bad issues amd has caused with nvidia. Nvidia isn't perfect, but everything has worked better. I've seen both sides and nvidia has always worked best for me. A lot of the back and forth is probably bum card issues, I don't want to see amd go away, but right now I dont have a need to support them.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I've just updated my hd7970 drivers to the 15.5beta.
loaded straight in to Witcher.
I've got to hand it to AMD, I've experienced a 15-20fps increase (single gpu).

Low and behold x-fire has been fixed.
Praise the sun!

I'm getting almost double fps in x-fire.

I'm now able to put every setting to ultra (1080p) except nVidia hairworks, AA is off and foliage distance set to high.

The bad news!
Turning on AA slices 25 frames off.
nVidia hairworks will cost me 15-25fps.
Foliage visibility range costs 30fps from low up to ultra and is very visible on low.

As for which gpu?

DX12 HYPE!!!

edit: I like nVidia, there is something about the feel of it that is more solid. Definitely less tearing in my experience and holds the same frame rate better. AMD seems very delicate in comparison and jumps around a lot. I like AMD too though. I am happy now x-fire is fixed. Fingers crossed GTA V has been fixed too.

Last edited:

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP

Praise the sun!

I'm now able to put every setting to ultra (1080p) except nVidia hairworks, AA is off and foliage distance set to high.

The bad news!
Foliage visibility range costs 30fps from low up to ultra and is very visible on low.

As for which gpu?

DX12 HYPE!!!

edit: I like nVidia, there is something about the feel of it that is more solid. Definitely less tearing in my experience and holds the same frame rate better. AMD seems very delicate in comparison and jumps around a lot. I like AMD too though. I am happy now x-fire is fixed. Fingers crossed GTA V has been fixed too.
7970 would basically be gtx 680 from 2 generations ago. My guess is that it wouldn't be all that sunshine and rainbows either.
All i know is that i bought gtx 770 with 2GB of video memory and its maxing out in every single game. A friend bough r9 290 for roughly the same price and it performs much better in SC (much hotter though, but the soon to be anounced 14nm chip should fix that)

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

Praise the sun!

The bad news!

As for which gpu?

DX12 HYPE!!!

I'm pretty sure that they will fix everything after CDPR took their heads out of their asses and decided to work as professionals and make the game AMD compatible.

Know Issues:

• *The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt : To enable the best performance and experience in Crossfire, users must disable Anti-Aliasing from the games video-post processing options. Some random flickering may occur when using Crossfire. If the issue is affecting the game experience, as a work around we suggest disabling Crossfire while we continue to work with CD Projekt Red to resolve this issue
    • [419945] Project CARS: Corruption may be observed if Anti-Aliasing is set to DS2M when run in Crossfire mode. As a workaround we suggest using a different Anti-Aliasing method.
Also it is not AMDs fault for a game using just Hairworks and not also including TressFX. And then they say it is not "officially supported by Nvidia". BULLSHIT.

Foliage visibility costs a lot in any card when increasing range. Do you honestly believe that Nvidia would not drop FPS with that?

Reactions: o-BHG-o

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
I had so many issues with AMD stuff (mostly at work) that i will never, ever buy AMD product again. They are only good for VPS hosting to sell more VPS nodes (dat 16-core CPUs). IE we had two AMD FirePro cards at work (that's not gaming card - it's for heavy video/etc work). From different shops. Both died after month of work in different PCs (no issues with PCs, shop confirmed it was a faulty board from the start) and that's for 3k-4k (maybe more, i can't recall) enterprise-level board! No. Never again.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
**UPDATE**

after installing 15.5, witcher is better, but ive still got issues, Im thinking i have a card problem, but both cards seem to work fine on their own, any ideas?

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
**UPDATE**

after installing 15.5, witcher is better, but ive still got issues, Im thinking i have a card problem, but both cards seem to work fine on their own, any ideas?
Sounds like it might be a problem with crossfire functionality. Might be using the wrong CFX bridges, are you using the plugs closest to the back of the case? If so, then there are probably fundamental issues with the cards themselves due to ASUS being a bunch of bratty fucksticks.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I have said it before, and I will say it again, I won't use anything BUT AMD/ATI. The very first PC I built was an AMD/ATI system and it was the best thing ever(1991). It ran Warcraft better than any of the Intels that my friends were running, and it cost less. I have also been dealing with ATI GPUs for close to EVER. The first PC I ever touched had an ATI chip in it, and the first video card I paid money for was a Rage II. So on that note, ATI has been making graphics cards for ever, they know what their doing. After market manufacturers may not, my only suggestion, is look at what cards they make more of, nVidia based or AMD based. Or buy straight from AMD.

ChenAU

Vice Admiral
Dec 8, 2014
RSI Handle
chenau

The bad news!
Have you increase the resolution yet? So you can try to gain the "old school" AA.
Also Hairworks runs just as bad on Nvida cards if not then slightly better.

2000.gif

Reactions: Devil Doge
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Its dangerous thinking and practice to only buy from one company.
Have you increase the resolution yet? So you can try to gain the "old school" AA.
Also Hairworks runs just as bad on Nvida cards if not then slightly better.

View attachment 735
My wifes 980 has seen as low as 38 fps max at 58 standing still. 43 on her horse full sprint.

My 290x has dropped to 34 fps and about 52 standing still. Hairworks can be good, but the deva went crazy with it and the tesselation this time.

Forgot your password?