• They are neither terrible nor awesome

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Gtx980 starts at $600~ USD and a 290x starts at $400~ USD for 10 FPS difference got to love mai value.(newegg)
Also stop listening to the shills. They'll talk about reference 290's all day, while ignoring the fact than TitanX uses 350watts and hits 101c.
Don't buy a reference 290x.
I got my 290X for 280, and that's before the 20 dollar mail in rebate. Newegg is glorious.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Well I just ran Furmark and I got this (270W)

However it you look at reviews such as this http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html

or this

you can see consumptions over 300Watts. Keep in mind that my card is overclocked above those cards in the reviews.

This is why I consider ALL benchmarks and reviews published unreliable. I haven't seen a single benchmark showing anything remotely close to the actual numbers. As for the idle values, those are just a joke.

See this is just my point only OCers will reach that rated wattage. Even then it is difficult. Like evga gtx 980 classified was rated for 375w (dont know exactly but more than 250). Doesnt mean that suddenly the 980 is a bigger consumer. Rather they gave it more psu cable socket, because the card was designes for OCing.

As for measuring wattage, it depends on where they are measuring their wattage. From the gpu vrm? From the wall socket? The PSU? What is their PSU rating? A lot of factors account for this. I use a 1600w titanium rated PSU. This gives me thw most accurate reading and clean power. I measure off the GPU because that shows how much power the gpu is actually using. Measuring from the wall may also count for loss of psu effeciency and cable loss.

The best way is to ask a 3rd party independent reviewer. Someone who is either sponsored by both compabies or sponsored by no company (prefered). In a perfect world they would send to me ;) because i want the truth and nothing more.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim

Ever since I became a gamer way back when, ive been an Nvidia man, right back to the first graphics card i ever bought. When it came to my current build about 6 months ago, i thought, Oh look! the bang for buck is so much better with AMD and bought 2 R9270X's.

Now i deal with shit like this every day, the above pic is in game in Witcher 3 (and is not unique to it), and whatever settings i try to use i simply cannot get crossfire to kick in. My graphics drivers die *regularly* (seriously, it doesnt surprise me when my game crashes completely 3-4 times an hour.) About 3 in every 4 reboots my graphics drivers have reset all my graphics settings (and i have to set everything up again.)
Also roughly 3 in every 4 boots (but not necessarily the same boots) I have simply abysmal performace (like getting 5 fps in the menu of a game, and no im not kidding, that* bad) Im getting roughly 1 in 6 boot ups that result in my computer working properly.

I cant wait till i can sell these cards, and buy a replacement card with GTX written on it.

/rant
Clearly you did not read what happened.
Nvidia fcked up AMD yet again and managed to implement their black box DLL for hair (HairWorks) which is rigged and it runs poorly on anything else but their cards.

Just disable Nvidia Hairworks in the options and voila, stellar performance.

AMD fcked up because they were not a part of the game development for TressFX 3.0 (AMD hair implementation) implementation which works on all cards BTW. Nvidia offers developers a simple black box DLL into which no one has a chance to see the sourcecode. Nvidia must work with the developer in order to tweak it to that particular game.

Don't worry, TressFX 3.0 will be implemented in the new Deus EX Universe game (trailer)

Why do you think that their DLL is closed? So it is proprietary and that they can fck any manufacturer performance wise when it is used.

So I say fuck nVidia, and again,.. fuck nVidia.

Don't get me wrong, their cards are great, it is just shitty practices nVidia uses to fxk the rest of the gamers I have a problem with.

Last edited:

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Clearly you did not read what happened.
Nvidia fcked up AMD yet again and managed to implement their black box DLL for hair (HairWorks) which is rigged and it runs poorly on anything else but their cards.

Just disable Nvidia Hairworks in the options and voila, stellar performance.

AMD fcked up because they were not a part of the game development for TressFX 3.0 (AMD hair implementation) implementation which works on all cards BTW. Nvidia offers developers a simple black box DLL into which no one has a chance to see the sourcecode. Nvidia must work with the developer in order to tweak it to that particular game.

Don't worry, TressFX 3.0 will be implemented in the new Deus EX Universe game (trailer)

Why do you think that their DLL is closed? So it is proprietary and that they can fck any manufacturer performance wise when it is used.

So I say fuck nVidia, and again,.. fuck nVidia.

Don't get me wrong, their cards are great, it is just shitty practices nVidia uses to fxk the rest of the gamers I have a problem with.
I finally installed Witcher 3 last night (patch 1.04). I am running an AMD FX-6300, Reference R9 290 (OC'd at 1.1Ghz Core, 1.3Ghz mem), 16GB Kingston ValueRAM, and the game is running from a 500GB partition (heavily fragmented) of a Toshiba 1TB HDD.

I started up the game, went into Options -> Graphics, set the Ultra Preset and set Hairworks to OFF. Didn't do ANY OTHER settings. Game runs above 60fps at all times.

When I started up the game I had a very bad feeling since there was a bombardment of Nvidia banners. I have to say if I can get such a great performance from the underdog, then Nvidia is the one doing things wrong, not AMD.

Reactions: rogesh

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I said that Nvidia is doing things wrong.

They released this assholish proprietary closed blackbox DLL (Hairworks) to developers when they didn't have to.
AMD TressFX 3.0 is way better and is open to all (no closed proprietary shit like Nvidia is trying to cram down our throats each time).

Reactions: Eiyron

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I said that Nvidia is doing things wrong.

They released this assholish proprietary closed blackbox DLL (Hairworks) to developers when they didn't have to.
AMD TressFX 3.0 is way better and is open to all (no closed proprietary shit like Nvidia is trying to cram down our throats each time).
In other words, nVidia pays off developers to implement their technology (which is a boon to their development budgets), but as a tradeoff, fucks AMD users.

I honestly think nVidia needs to be given a hard slap upside the head. They've got a lot of money to throw around, so they can maintain better company-to-customer support, obviously. If they're so scared of losing market share, then maybe they need to rethink their approach.

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3
We can all kick and scream about their business practices but nothing will ever change. We complain about Hairworks being proprietary but the developers still use it, so who's really to blame here? Nvidia for being assholes? or the developers for knowingly screwing a good portion of their customer base when using said technology? or us for knowingly buying said games anyways and supporting their business practice. Consumers need to do battle with what comes out of their wallets, because big business usually can't give 2 shits about what comes out of our mouths.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
We can all kick and scream about their business practices but nothing will ever change. We complain about Hairworks being proprietary but the developers still use it, so who's really to blame here? Nvidia for being assholes? or the developers for knowingly screwing a good portion of their customer base when using said technology? or us for knowingly buying said games anyways and supporting their business practice. Consumers need to do battle with what comes out of their wallets, because big business usually can't give 2 shits about what comes out of our mouths.
nVidia are assholes if they convince developers to use HairWorks...especially if it involves cash payouts.

Reactions: Eiyron
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Issue is that a lot of these allegations have very little evidence. AMD says this and that about the contract, but never has seen the contract they say. How can they say a contract has something when they have never seem it. This means AMD cant accuse Nvidia of abeing guilty. Nvidia wont let anyone see the contract which makes it suspicious, and doesnt help their innocence. This is why AMD cant take Nvidia to court concerning sabotage of AMD cards while playing certain games.

I hate this subject because there is so little evidence other than game performance which can be a number of issues, that proves Nvidia is innocent or guilty. For all we know AMD could be pulling a Colt v FNH.

Last edited:

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault

Forgot your password?