Thoughts and prayers to all our Oregon members

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
View attachment 8848

On occasion, I find myself wondering how some people survive in this world. It's like humanity has largely lost touch with the ability to use logic and reason. This is made infinitely worse by the trend towards intentional ignorance and the willful disregard for reality. This group seems to grow larger each generation and has reached a previously unimaginable saturation in society. These people don't know anything, can't figure anything out, refuse to learn, and instead choose to anchor their beliefs in whatever random thought they conjured up and turned to "fact".

I would imagine it feels like white noise on an old tv...
I agree entirely.

I will of course offer a discount to Test members when the book goes on sale
While offering a discount to TEST members is very nice of you, you might want to also include some form of 3D type glasses that neutralize the effects of the beer goggles that many of us would be enjoying while we read your brilliance.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
View attachment 8848

On occasion, I find myself wondering how some people survive in this world. It's like humanity has largely lost touch with the ability to use logic and reason. This is made infinitely worse by the trend towards intentional ignorance and the willful disregard for reality. This group seems to grow larger each generation and has reached a previously unimaginable saturation in society. These people don't know anything, can't figure anything out, refuse to learn, and instead choose to anchor their beliefs in whatever random thought they conjured up and turned to "fact".

I would imagine it feels like white noise on an old tv...
This will be controversial but technology has made us dumb, deaf, and blind to most of our internal and external needs while force-feeding our brain's pleasure center which has allowed us to ignore those other needs. It can't go on indefinitely and at this point the only thing that will change it is some collapse to the whole of society. Could be an EMP, a disease, something widespread and you'll see how quickly the veneer of society falls apart. Either you take away the pleasure, or the food. Either way its bad and will also kill 90% of the same society because we're so inured, so dependent on the system we have. The only ones left will be those not in major cities and who prepared.

Do I think tech is bad? No. But it has simultaneously built us up to great heights and spread us out too thin and made us very fragile. And that is the problem.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Interesting to see to see people more or less blaming liberals for this (example: claiming that California and Oregon is trying to out-progressive each other), when (to my understanding of what has happened) it's a law that was changed to be less regulatory...
Which is a political point that I associate with the political views of people that complain about liberals.

And if people with driver-licences are so... lost... that they can't fill up a car by them selves, you guys might want to look into how you get a license and make that process a bit more... selective.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Interesting to see to see people more or less blaming liberals for this (example: claiming that California and Oregon is trying to out-progressive each other), when (to my understanding of what has happened) it's a law that was changed to be less regulatory...
Which is a political point that I associate with the political views of people that complain about liberals.

And if people with driver-licences are so... lost... that they can't fill up a car by them selves, you guys might want to look into how you get a license and make that process a bit more... selective.
Describing Portland is not easy. It prides it's self with an "outside the box" life style what many may not understand or approve of.
I have many funny stories that don't make the national news.. but have become hesitant.
Some might remember when I invited you all to our annual Portland bare as you dare nude bicycle parade...
Wow.. that thread turned into some unexpected salty sh-t.
So in the Test spirit let's all smile and giggle together..
Love you all....
Keep Portland weird....
Peace....

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Describing Portland is not easy. It prides it's self with an "outside the box" life style what many may not understand or approve of.
I have many funny stories that don't make the national news.. but have become hesitant.
Some might remember when I invited you all to our annual Portland bare as you dare nude bicycle parade...
Wow.. that thread turned into some unexpected salty sh-t.
So in the Test spirit let's all smile and giggle together..
Love you all....
Keep Portland weird....
Peace....
You kind of have to experience Portland to begin to understand it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
You kind of have to experience Portland to begin to understand it.
There have been a number of times due to leaving late on my northward bound trips that I have had to spend the night in a podunk town in Oregon due to needing gas and the stations being closed. But nothing compares to the two states of Oregon those who live in and around Portland and the rest of the state.

EmpireRuled

Commander
Oct 16, 2017
RSI Handle
EmpireRuled
Montoya, they do not HAVE to pump their own gas, they are just allowed to now. :P I traveled through Oregon stopping for gas once a long time ago, was really annoyed that the gas was about 50 cents/gallon more and the explanation was the cost of having someone pump your gas. This was a fee you could pay optionally at many stations in various places but there it was required.
I hate 'having' to do things or not being 'allowed' to do something that is utterly innocuous and contained within the tiny purview of my own life, e.g., my car and its gas port... Truly. There are some states that have at least looked at making collecting rainwater illegal. I am the type who would subsequently put every waking minute into surreptitiously collecting enough rainwater to float Noah's fucking ark.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
People be wigging out about that here in the Portlandia area.
Meh, I am originally from Texas, so it is humorous as hell. Especially when they go on about how hard it is raining. Really? This is rain? Hell, didn't even have to wait it out under an overpass. Huh, strange folk up here.
Fuuucck. I'm from the Chicago are and I love hearing the stories on the news about major cities in the South have to shut down because of an inch or two of snow.

This will be controversial but technology has made us dumb, deaf, and blind to most of our internal and external needs while force-feeding our brain's pleasure center which has allowed us to ignore those other needs. It can't go on indefinitely and at this point the only thing that will change it is some collapse to the whole of society. Could be an EMP, a disease, something widespread and you'll see how quickly the veneer of society falls apart. Either you take away the pleasure, or the food. Either way its bad and will also kill 90% of the same society because we're so inured, so dependent on the system we have. The only ones left will be those not in major cities and who prepared.

Do I think tech is bad? No. But it has simultaneously built us up to great heights and spread us out too thin and made us very fragile. And that is the problem.
Well every now and then life has to cull the worm farm to get rid of the bad DNA, so....

I spent a week in Portland without ever seeing the sun

that's all I need to understand
Oh you were there in the Summer?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sending positive thoughts and energy to Oregon. They need it.

What, no cigarette? Amateur!
Ha..Ha..Ha... One of our Portland Snow Flakes pumping fuel. Obviously they didn't all move to Canada.
Do you pump your own fuel in Canada?
We shovel our fuel in Canada. It's so cold that gas and diesel freeze, so we have piles of oil sands at our fuel depots. We shovel it straight into the hopper on the top of the engines. The heat of the engine loosens the oil from the sand, and the oil pours through a porous membrane into the engine, where a high-temp engine com-busts it. It works for us man.

And yes, we shovel our own oil sands.
It's really never a dull moment, living here, sandwiched between British California and the Oregoons, watching everyone try to out-progressive the People's Democratic Republic of Kalifornia. I gotta move to Texas...
"British California" Hahahaha, I was born and raised there, and I've never heard this. I fucking love it! Funny 'cause it's true!
I do. I remember thinking about it for quite some time. Then I remembered I'm Canadian and have an inney.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
[tinfoil hat]

I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy. Some are just amazing and really a good read. Some though, like Smedley Butler, are shocking in their truth. Take July 23rd, 2012, a coronal mass ejection shot out of the sun. The blast of x-rays and solar radiation missed the earth by 9 days. It was roughly the size of the "carrington event", which actually did hit the planet.

What happens when it hits, is basically a planet wide EMP. Back in 1859, it just arced electricity along the telegraph lines and set fire to some paper. Today though, it would fry our electrical infrastructure to a degree that it would take us 4 to 10 years to rebuild (according to a paper written with the help of NASA and the university of Colorado). It's all about the way we distribute power across the nation via high voltage lines. First world countries would become third world countries overnight.

The implications of this are shocking. I've been through a 5 day blackout. It was chaos, panic, and desperation all rolled into one. It doesn't seem like much on the surface, but the reality was different. There was no gas for cars. There was no light at night. There was no heat in homes. There was no food in the stores. It was less than a week, but it got bad really quick. The idea of 4+ years without electricity scares the shit out of me.

Just like it should. How many people know how to start a fire? How many people know how to hunt or fish? How many people know what plants are edible? How bad would it get when people actually feel real hunger for the first time. I'm not talking about "ooh, I'm on a diet and hungry all the time" kind of hungry. I'm talking about literally not eating for a couple days and having no idea where they will find their next meal. Very few people in a first world country can even comprehend that feeling.

So long story short, I see things that threaten our way of life (as you mentioned emp, disease, etc.). They are very real threats and could happen tomorrow. Then I see things like this "oregon crisis" and wonder what would happen to humanity if something, anything were to happen.

[/tinfoil hat]

Citations:
Smedley Butler
Carrington Event
2012 Coronal Mass Ejection
Report on CME repercussions

TLDR: Yep, those are citations(ish). Shit can happen, really, unbelievably bad shit. If people can't figure out pumping gas, I fear for the future of humanity.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
[tinfoil hat]

I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy. Some are just amazing and really a good read. Some though, like Smedley Butler, are shocking in their truth. Take July 23rd, 2012, a coronal mass ejection shot out of the sun. The blast of x-rays and solar radiation missed the earth by 9 days. It was roughly the size of the "carrington event", which actually did hit the planet.

What happens when it hits, is basically a planet wide EMP. Back in 1859, it just arced electricity along the telegraph lines and set fire to some paper. Today though, it would fry our electrical infrastructure to a degree that it would take us 4 to 10 years to rebuild (according to a paper written with the help of NASA and the university of Colorado). It's all about the way we distribute power across the nation via high voltage lines. First world countries would become third world countries overnight.

The implications of this are shocking. I've been through a 5 day blackout. It was chaos, panic, and desperation all rolled into one. It doesn't seem like much on the surface, but the reality was different. There was no gas for cars. There was no light at night. There was no heat in homes. There was no food in the stores. It was less than a week, but it got bad really quick. The idea of 4+ years without electricity scares the shit out of me.

Just like it should. How many people know how to start a fire? How many people know how to hunt or fish? How many people know what plants are edible? How bad would it get when people actually feel real hunger for the first time. I'm not talking about "ooh, I'm on a diet and hungry all the time" kind of hungry. I'm talking about literally not eating for a couple days and having no idea where they will find their next meal. Very few people in a first world country can even comprehend that feeling.

So long story short, I see things that threaten our way of life (as you mentioned emp, disease, etc.). They are very real threats and could happen tomorrow. Then I see things like this "oregon crisis" and wonder what would happen to humanity if something, anything were to happen.

[/tinfoil hat]

Citations:
Smedley Butler
Carrington Event
2012 Coronal Mass Ejection
Report on CME repercussions

TLDR: Yep, those are citations(ish). Shit can happen, really, unbelievably bad shit. If people can't figure out pumping gas, I fear for the future of humanity.
I enjoyed this post.

Forgot your password?