Thoughts on the Terrapin?

Captain Call

Space Marshal
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Captain W F Call
The name "terrapin" is derived from torope, a word in the Native American Algonquian language that referred to the species, Malaclemys terrapin. It appears that it became part of common usage during the colonial era of North America and was carried back to Great Britain. Since then, it has been used in common names for turtles in the English language.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
How maneuverable are you planning this ship to be in space and atmosphere?
The Terrapin is solid, heavy, and therefore somewhat slow to accelerate. Turning takes time in both space and atmosphere. In combat scenarios, Terrapin pilots are encouraged to focus on escape techniques other than simply running, relying on the ship’s defensive capabilities rather than trying to outmaneuver their opponent. Ultimately though, advanced threat detection and avoidance is the preferred strategy for most capable Terrapin drivers, due to its superior scanning capabilities. In storms and bad flying conditions planetside, where increased maneuverability is needed to break for orbit, pilots may wish to just lock the ship down and ride it out.

"In combat scenarios, Terrapin pilots are encouraged to focus on escape techniques other than simply running, relying on the ship’s defensive capabilities rather than trying to outmaneuver their opponent. Ultimately though, advanced threat detection and avoidance is the preferred strategy for most capable Terrapin drivers, due to its superior scanning capabilities."

Exactly what I stated above.

I think you're both inventing a gaming dynamic in your minds that CIG has not suggested. There is one ship and one ship only, where they have said it comes with EMP hardening, and they have not suggested this will be an option for other ships. I think any argument that comes from silence is a weak argument. You may be correct, but there is no reason to think so.

EMP hardening is NOT a simple thing. It often requires building things out of vacuum tubes instead of the solid state transistors that have for the most part replaced them. To be "realistic" a hardened power system and computer would be many times more massive than one that has not been hardened, and would operate much slower, and require much more power to operate. As consequence, most military computers, even those in modern fighter aircraft, are not hardened against EMP. The thing that keeps most military targets safe from EMP is there is no effective way to generate one on a local basis and without using a nuclear weapon.

So just saying, the fact one can get an EMP generator is the real issue. No one has said they're easy to get hold of which is why I have suggested people buy up the Warlocks whenever they find them available. Likewise from what CIG has said on the matter, there will probably not be any defense against distortion cannons and spike missiles except your shields. If you lose your shields, you lose your protection.
"with extensive shield systems and armor layers designed to provide the maximum possible defense for pilot and crew." Right now on paper it may only have a single size 2 shield. But they have said you can tweak shields to make them regen faster or provide more protection than a stock shield generator. All functionality the ship's engineer will be able to do but is not in game as of yet. As well as power distribution and many other things not in the game that can make a tuned shield generator with extra power input able to do more than it could otherwise have done.

On paper and in current functionality what I mention is not possible no. But once all that functionality they talk about is in game that very well could or could not be the case. Its simply an idea of "How it could work to meet what they say it should do". Since its suppose to be "extensive shield systems" one would think it would do much better than any regular size 2 shield.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
Gentlemen. I have revised my decision to buy this vessel, I shall not be purchasing it.

Yes it sounds great, but I already have the Freelancer DUR for a similar role, I also think I've bought into the game over the past year(ish) to much as is after doing some math.

Malvariuz

Grand Admiral
Aug 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Malvariuz
I am holding out for the 2nd Q&A. Not real impressed with today's info in the 1st Q&A.
IKR ! No storage what so ever !

It's a large enough vehicle/ship and it also makes complete sense that it would have SOME cargo space but it has NONE.

This is bad immersion IMO. They are trying to justify some sort of balancing by stupidly removing the cargo. Unfortunately this ill go on deaf ears and they will adopt the all-to well used excuse of "can;t please everyone" and it won;t change, because Roberts is blind to anyone but himself and his own vision. I trust his vision, but that does not mean we(as in other people) can not be a valuable asset in his world dream of fidelity and realism.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Gentlemen. I have revised my decision to buy this vessel, I shall not be purchasing it.

Yes it sounds great, but I already have the Freelancer DUR for a similar role, I also think I've bought into the game over the past year(ish) to much as is after doing some math.
Ladies, I stayed to my decision buying this vessel.

To be honest, and as I said before: what is it currently here, all this trouble and fuss about the first given technical parameter? The Terraüpin is in *concept phase* - so lets wait and see what comes up. Everyone who is complaining right now at this most inappropriate point of time should not look onto the given technical attributes but more like "fits it to my planned gameplay / gold reserves" OR "do I want her".

(yes and yes for me :D)

The next to-do is: wait and have some cookies.

I remember that there were comparable discussions and complaints about the reason for buying a Freelancer when there is the Hull-series. Everyone bashed the Freelancer, that there is no sense in buyin her. And nowadays, things have changed. The stats of the Freelancer have be revised and now it is a *real* decision wether to buy a lancer or a Hull. I suggest that it will go this way likewise with the Terrapin. For sure she won't be comparable with a DUR; but also for sure: she will fit into a slot that the DUR can't fill in. What that will be? We don't know yet.

Ergo: I can fully understand those of you who have to decide between DUR and Terrapin, for instance, to stick with the DUR, because her stats and gameplay mechanism are almost final. But please stop complaining about a ship in concept phase which still has to find its slot within the world of Star Citizen. There will be one, thats for sure. Which it will be? Perhaps a perfect stealth SPAI-ship? Perhaps it will be the only one which can use special radar-scanning-systems?

http://www.go-qualität.de/assets/images/Nato_Radarflugzeug_01.jpg

Who knows? Or perhaps it will become ship with a most variable specs like the Cat? Or it will become a kind of "most-basic-mechanics"-sort-of-ship, so that you can use her as a perfect behind-the-lines-smuggling ship, which can be operated even with packthread and chewinggum? Who knows...
Thus, I'm very curious what becomes of her - FINALLY. And that'll be in...a couple of months, I guess. :)

Halesh

Commander
Mar 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Halesh
The only thing I have left to say is this. If they are going to compare it with a tank, they damn well better make it like one. All modern tanks have hardened electronic systems to prevent them from being rendered inert due to an EMP pulse, it has been that way since the cold war. They also have a fair amount of mechanical redundancy and modularity which makes getting them back running relatively fast. Lastly they have a fair amount of shielding beyond just from projectiles and missiles. They have defenses against biological, chemical, and even some radiation protection. Do not insult the TANK by making the terrapin not live up to that ;). just my two cents

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Terrapinsounds to be great as Command and Control ship, (can take some hits until his allies deal with the offender)
Unlike the Hornet Tracker it can continue it's task to coordinate a fleet while under fire.
It's a much smaller Target that bigger Command and Control Ships, so it could easyly hide in bigger fleets and travel with the fighter jets through the smalles jumppoints.
If it's viaable for exploring depend on how stealthy it can be.

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
I like the look of the Terrapin, but I don't see myself wanting to perform a scanning/scout role. The lack of versatility has me steering clear of this ship. Oddly enough, researching this ship and deciding on whether or not I want one made me want a Freelancer DUR...

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
I like the look of the Terrapin, but I don't see myself wanting to perform a scanning/scout role. The lack of versatility has me steering clear of this ship. Oddly enough, researching this ship and deciding on whether or not I want one made me want a Freelancer DUR...
Did you talked to Cosmic Trader? Sometimes he does this Brainwash thing, and after that all you want in life is a Freelancer DUR....

Forgot your password?