Too many Carracks?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I love the Carrack & I look forward to exploring it that with you wonderful TESTies. I call dibs on being designated pilot whenever you all get so sloshed that you can't figure out how to sit in the seat to properly TEST pilot our ship into whatever we're discovering so we can properly leave our mark on the unique areas of the Verse. Hehehe

Also, I came across this the other day while looking up Titles that you can have in game. If you complete this, you earn the Title of Cartographer.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14323-Into-The-Unknown-A-Carrack-Her-Crew

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Too MANY Carracks? Too MANY?! You, sir, have bought a cruel enemy for life with those slanderous words.
Can there be too much oxygen in a room? Too much of a child's laughter filling the air?
100% oxygen will any organism, it's even used as an antibacterial measure in labs to ensure no life or containments remain.
TOO MUCH HEART IN AN URBAN MOVIE ABOUT A WHITE GIRL WHO LEARNS TO DANCE?!
That's just an idealistic representation of a person's ambition which comes to fruition in an improbable timeframe.
Good day, Sir.
My friends call me buzzkill.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Allow me to paraphrase, too much is never enough. The Carrack has a dedicated medbay (so far as we know) so that is where I expect to be, hanging out in your Carrack medbay and waiting to stick needles, uh, treat people. Some of us like support jobs.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
So Carrack is love, Carrack is life but I wonder if it might be a little too common in the Verse? Because of its availability as an early backer prize and the subsequent hype due to its features and near capital class size change I guess I worry that it might be a bit of a McCarrack and it's role and Awe factor will be watered down. I definitely have my Firefly/Star trek fantasies but I also kind if like being a special snowflake.

Any one else have a crisis of the faith from time to time? :smile:

No, there won't be too much Carracks. Fact is, that Star Citizen has NOT 2 mio. backers currently. Lots of these accounts are double (or multi) accounts of people who think, that they need more than one account for their gameplay ambitions. Plus there presumably are LOTS of accounts with no ships, just to claim a name or for whatever reason. So, lets say, there are 500k active accounts (in fact, I think that there are NOT as many active accounts). How many of them own a Carrack? 10%? 1%? When Star Citizen will go live, there will be fresh meat, erm, players who want to try and play, but do not want to pay more than 100 EUR. And how many players will that be? Well, at least as many as currently have an account but no game package (and /or ship); plus, lets say 1 mio. new players. Only a minor part of them will instantly buy large ships. The major part won't - but nevertheless want to be part of a large crew on a capital ship!

So, long story short: nothing to see here. There can't be "enough" or "too much" Carracks because there aren't.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Even if there are a lot of Carracks, they are intended to be so fantastically customizable that I don't think anyone would be wise to make assumptions about them. I'll bet there will be at least 20 subsystems one can custom for any ship, making no two the same.

If the ship grows like so many are apt to, and that wee hangar can fit a fair cross-section of craft, that will enhance the individuality of them even more.

If you love it, buy it. The BMM will not have anything like the same customization and it will probably be the smallest ship with full cap-ship sized scan. Rare and powerful, to have that sort of tool run with just a few PCs.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
indeed, It’s movies like this that restore my faith in humanity.
For ones faith in Humanity to be restored, one has to have had some in the first place.

Those films mock me. If only I could have been... a dancer.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So Carrack is love, Carrack is life but I wonder if it might be a little too common in the Verse? Because of its availability as an early backer prize and the subsequent hype due to its features and near capital class size change I guess I worry that it might be a bit of a McCarrack and it's role and Awe factor will be watered down. I definitely have my Firefly/Star trek fantasies but I also kind if like being a special snowflake.

Any one else have a crisis of the faith from time to time? :smile:

Short answer. NOpe.
  1. The space in this game is massive.
  2. Even in MMO's like WOW the number of concurrent players is small percent of their total subscriber base.
  3. NPC's will be your typical interaction as well as creating the backdrop to your stories. Their ships will be in keeping with what would be expected for a real living breathing universe.
  4. Even with in the player population who owns a Carrack they will diversify and fly lots of other ships.
Honestly the above goes for all of the popular ships.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
being a special snowflake.
DW0C2BjX0AEv0z9.jpg

Even if there are a lot of Carracks, they are intended to be so fantastically customizable that I don't think anyone would be wise to make assumptions about them. I'll bet there will be at least 20 subsystems one can custom for any ship, making no two the same.
Exactly this. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find two Carracks with the same loadout and modifications.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Except me
Spaek for yerself there buddy. I'm as special as you are.

How do you tell if someone owns a Carrack?

Don't worry, they'll let you know.

For some reason it seems like Carrack really really really like speculating/talking/circlejerking about it, which I think makes it seem like the Carrack is more common/populous than it may be in actuality.

It and the BMM are going to have interesting times once they are finally flight ready and some backers that massively overhyped their ships in their heads have to face a non-perfect ship.
So you have one?

I bet there are few ppl who own two Carracks at same time.. Just saying.
Ding, Ding. Count me in.

Yeah. That's why I'm shying away from it, it's gonna be way too common. I'll probably stick with my Orion.
Why not both like the rest of us?

Too MANY Carracks? Too MANY?! You, sir, have bought a cruel enemy for life with those slanderous words. Can there be too much oxygen in a room? Too much of a child's laughter filling the air? TOO MUCH HEART IN AN URBAN MOVIE ABOUT A WHITE GIRL WHO LEARNS TO DANCE?!........I think not.

Good day, Sir.
Well said, brother. I owe a bottle of VSOP for your bridge table.

I love the Carrack & I look forward to exploring it that with you wonderful TESTies. I call dibs on being designated pilot whenever you all get so sloshed that you can't figure out how to sit in the seat to properly TEST pilot our ship into whatever we're discovering so we can properly leave our mark on the unique areas of the Verse. Hehehe

Also, I came across this the other day while looking up Titles that you can have in game. If you complete this, you earn the Title of Cartographer.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14323-Into-The-Unknown-A-Carrack-Her-Crew
You shall have the pilot seat in my Carracks maiden voyage, sir. I shall be below preparing drinks

Forgot your password?