TrackHat

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
Anyone have experience with the TrackHat Clip or Clip Plus? I am interested in getting head tracking kit, I just don't know if I can justify the $170 price tag on the TrackIR 5. Not to mention that the clip for the TrackIR looks like a flimsy pile of shit (it really does). The TrackHat clip is a thick 3D printed design. They use a modified PS3 camera for the kit. The camera is really the only thing that worries me about the kit I guess. Is TrackIR 5 just miles ahead of anyone else, or have they simply claimed "first" pricing?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It definitely is not claimed first as there have been tracking camera for a good long time. I will say that they are probably trying to make the product main stream though so you could say first in that case. For all the sim games coming out as of recently I would not be surprised if this begins to be a big thing

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
I didn't mean to imply that they were the first with the technology. Simply that they were the "first" that really went after the gaming market (and were successful). Which basically allowed them to establish whatever price that would sell. Being the first big players in the market means they got to balance however they saw fit, no competition to drive their price down.

Hopefully these other alternatives gain some traction so that happens. I am looking to support TrackHat, just looking for some people with hands on experience. Reviews on YT seem to be good.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I remember a few years ago when TrackIR was brand new on the scene and people were using the playstation eye cameras instead of the trackIR ones because it was simply better. By now, what you get with TrackIR 5 is light years beyond a PS eye, but I'm not sure about how it compares with similar products.

Any reason to not just make the jump into an HMD?

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
I remember a few years ago when TrackIR was brand new on the scene and people were using the playstation eye cameras instead of the trackIR ones because it was simply better. By now, what you get with TrackIR 5 is light years beyond a PS eye, but I'm not sure about how it compares with similar products.
Gotcha. Well the TrackHat Clip works with TrackIR's software. I guess the best combo would be the TrackHat Clip and the TrackIR camera.

Any reason to not just make the jump into an HMD?
Besides the couple hundred dollar price difference, you mean?
I am but a simple vet, in college making use of the GI Bill. Simply do not have that kind of throw away cash. Besides that, I don't think its really the right time to jump into VR yet. It is still early days (not to say it hasn't improved immensely), and prices are still pretty crazy, for me. That's not to say the tech isn't worth it in the current market, it just isn't to me. I will happily wait a few years for some competitors to come along for HTC and Oculus to drive prices down.

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
In 2.6.3 there is a known problem with all TrackIR tech - it shows the inside of the helmet.
This is supposed to be corrected in 3.0
I saw that in a SausageFingers video. He was able to work around it by binding the Z axis to ?zoom? (maybe it was freelook). It allowed him to "pop out" of the helmet to see the panels. ***Actually, he doesnt bind it to anything. Just activated the Z axis (6:00 mark)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-U7JLJx2Q

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
TrackIR is supported native, which means that you don't have to bind axis to TrackIR, you even can't, it just works. The Trackclip Pro is discussable, an active tracker works better then a pasive when you have other lights which can disturb the tracking of the Track Clip. It needs an USB power cable, which isn't always practical, it seems to bee flimsy, but even my rough hanling which costed me a MADCATZ FLY 5 (button just broke off) 2 switches of my Warthog Throttle (which I luckily replaced last week) and not to mention the beer lubrication (beer bottle pouring on top of the Warthog Gimbal), the Trackclip Pro still works, knock on wood.

Reactions: StdDev and Miasmic

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
TrackIR is supported native, which means that you don't have to bind axis to TrackIR, you even can't, it just works. The Trackclip Pro is discussable, an active tracker works better then a pasive when you have other lights which can disturb the tracking of the Track Clip. It needs an USB power cable, which isn't always practical, it seems to bee flimsy, but even my rough hanling which costed me a MADCATZ FLY 5 (button just broke off) 2 switches of my Warthog Throttle (which I luckily replaced last week) and not to mention the beer lubrication (beer bottle pouring on top of the Warthog Gimbal), the Trackclip Pro still works, knock on wood.
Well that's good to hear. I watched/read a couple reviews of guys saying they've had to replace their TrackIR clip multiple times because they have broken it over the years. Thats what got me looking into TrackHat. It is a thick 3D printed frame. They offer both wired and wireless. Both over $100 cheaper than TrackIR. The ps eye worries me though. That thing is pretty old by today's standards I would assume. I am thinking the best option might be TrackIR's camera and the TrackHat clip.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I am thinking the best option might be TrackIR's camera and the TrackHat clip.
You got my point, but only the Trackhat Clip / TrackIR camera isn't $100 cheaper. The Trackclip Pro costs $30? in the US? For EU is cost aproximately 60 EURO, the combo on ebay was just a little bit more (little bit is relative)

Reactions: Miasmic and StdDev

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
You got my point, but only the Trackhat Clip / TrackIR camera isn't $100 cheaper. The Trackclip Pro costs $30? in the US? For EU is cost aproximately 60 EURO, the combo on ebay was just a little bit more (little bit is relative)
The TrackIR5 combo bundle goes for about $170 +shipping just about everywhere I've seen. The TrackHat Plus bundle would be $79 with shipping (but mixing the two would cancel that out). That is because the camera is so cheap(?). Is the TrackIR camera really $100 better than the PS eye? Better in terms of significance to using it in a game. I honestly don't really care what the "max capabilities" are. Let's be real, I am only going to be using it to look around in ships lol. I am sure TrackIR is capable of much much more than that, but do you need all that? I am a noob to all of this haha.

They do "modify" the ps3 eye. Basically put in a different lens (i think).

addendum to previous post best isn't always practical :disappointed:

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I guess I'm just hoping for someone that still uses that PS3 eye to say its OK to save $100 :laughing:. If its too far in the past, I'll suck it up lol.
The native support of TrackIR is a big +, I don't know if it justifies +100 dollars
[EDIT] but hell, life is short enough, why save $100 if you can get a better experience

Reactions: StdDev and Miasmic

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I'm owning a PS3-Eye + Trackhat-Clip (the 40€ variant) and havn't used it in SC yet, because of the known reasons. I'm using it mainly in Arma 3 for flying.
The On-Foot experience can be "tricky" to hold your head still enough when aiming, shooting, throwing grenades, running while yelling orders at people.

Camera:
The PS3-eye only delivers 60 FPS. While the TrackIR Cam can deliver 120 FPS.
There is one thing i have noticed with the PS3 Camera that when the wall is very bright (sunshine) tracking is not possible anymore.
TrackIR has a own cpu to reduce cpu load on the computer. Especially for Arma this little greedy cpu hungry bitch, you might notice a slight decrease in FPS.
Mounting the camera on my monitor didn't work well. Its very curvy on the backside. And probably i'm going to 3d print a better one.

Trackhat Clip:
I mounted it on the left side of my headphones with zipties (two have been in the box), No Problem with cables etc. Becaues i don't tend to run around with my headphones. As mentioned before tracking with bright background can become impossible. I'm not sure how well TrackIR performs.

Software:
Setting up is pretty easy, adjusting curves takes some time. On Foot i use only a headturn of about 90° (which is usally enough).
I've noticed when tabbing in and out from the game to the software, turning it on and off, sometimes results in a crash of the software and my system (windows 10)

conclusion:
If you're still unsure if you will like headtracking or don't want to spend a lot of money get the trackhat.
If you think you will heavily use it, don't buy another aurora and get the Track IR.

(I can post some more pictures later if wanted)

Another reddit regarding that topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/3tkdjb/trackir_5_worth_the_money_or_are_alternatives/

Last edited:

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
@Michael, Thanks! I was hoping someone here owned the PS3 eye. I hadn't considered the stability in regards to talking before. I use Voice Attack, I'm not sure how much running my suck actually moves my headphones and if that would in turn result in movement from the head tracking software. That would be quite bad. I suppose setting up the curves/deadzones could eliminate most of that though.I don't have any walls or lights behind me, so I don't think I would have issue there. My apt stays pretty dark. I am a hermit.

The CPU bit is news to me as well. I am on an i5 6600 and I likely won't be upgrading that for another year or two, that TrackIR camera may be beneficial there too. Especially since I am already also running TARGET and Voice Attack in the background.

I think what I have decided to do is go ahead and get the TrackHat bundle (with the PS3 eye) and then if I feel the need I will upgrade to the TrackIR camera later down the road. Like after this semesters books (which are f'ing outrageous).

Reactions: StdDev
Forgot your password?