Training, Newbies, and TEST.

HellMel

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Hell-Mel
TL;DR: We should actively seek out and train newbies to not suck. Then we'll have competent players that are invested in TEST.

There's actually something I've been thinking about lately that I feel will be very important in the long run, and can actually be implemented in the current version of AC, to a limited degree. I wanted to get some more opinions on it, so here we go.

TEST has an open door policy and a laid back attitude, the greatest strengths of which are the ability to attract newbies in droves. It's these newbies I want to talk about. New players are generally going to want to join a corporation quickly after starting the game because in general, it beats going it alone. The problem with this, is that most guilds/corps/orgs kind of suck for newbies. They come in, have an opportunity to make a difference, but many guilds take a stance of indifference, and this eventually leads to the newbie dicking around for a bit before deciding to leave the guild or the game.

I think we should try to prevent that by delivering what content the game has to offer directly to new players, such that they can learn how to play, and figure out what about the game they enjoy doing, regardless of if it's Mining, Exploration, Piracy, Whatever. We don't have the details for how Org structure is going to work yet, so I don't know if it would a squad, sub organization, or leadership team, whatever. I think the important bit is that we push for it to be part of the culture of TEST. Be nice to newbies, answer the same stupid fucking question every time it gets asked, because the guy asking it clearly doesn't know the answer.

As for the more immediate training, I'd like to start getting AC groups together to practice combat so we don't get curbstomped at launch.

Just my two cents.

EDITS FOLLOW:

My hours conflict with standard US Hours, but if you're around weekend mornings, I'll be in either or/both Chat+Mumble, hit me up.

There's been talk of just starting up a random game night for people to mess around in AC, if you're so inclined, just put in your Available hours and we can get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

HellMel

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Hell-Mel
It's mostly a matter of scheduling. I'm currently planning on working with Shive on racing somewhere in the realm of 1pm GMT. If you're available at that time, let me know in chat and we can work something out. Otherwise I'll be putting a google doc up sometime tonight to figure out who is available when.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
We should definitely have a few squads/groups located in high security space (as we almost certainly will) that are "newb-approved".

Ex: Mining groups would walk through all the steps for mining, from resource scanning/finding, to actual mining and the details involved within, to the best tricks to finding the juiciest asteroids, and then the better places to sell em off for dat $$$$.

Same for exploration and salvaging, sticking to more "safe" areas and providing walk throughs.

Combat will probably be different since you can just load up Arena Commander and practice there.

On a side note: With private servers, we could probably have "Newbie Nite" once a week or so where we boot up the server, and go through step by step on one thing, taught by some of the Veterans of TEST. With access to virtually unlimited ships and money on a private server, we could have a really easy time of teaching people without the risk of losing ships. Mining one week, Salvaging the next, Piracy, Exploration, etc etc. Would be good for even regular members to get some tricks and tips from people who do that job "full time".

Nuke

Captain
Nov 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Nuke
competency in TEST? what is this world coming to?
that said training the noobs is always good, even if it's just learning the basics of flying and ship control.

HID45

Commander
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
HID45
It's mostly a matter of scheduling. I'm currently planning on working with Shive on racing somewhere in the realm of 1pm GMT. If you're available at that time, let me know in chat and we can work something out. Otherwise I'll be putting a google doc up sometime tonight to figure out who is available when.
I'm GMT+2 and that is too early for me too. Work, family, real life etc... Maybe the google doc thingy would be the way to go. I'm good to go somewhere around 5-10pm GMT.

HellMel

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Hell-Mel
I've linked a spreadsheet for sign ups In the original post. We're definitely going to need more trainers if this is going to work though, so if you have any interest at all, go ahead and sign up!

EDIT: A descriptor of where would have been useful. Here, have another Link.

Last edited:

HellMel

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Hell-Mel
Fancy, thank you. I'll sign up but I won't be available until the 7th of March. Keep a seat warm for me.
A text box got deleted at some point. Double check you're in the correct column, I can't tell from your posts how you'd like to participate <3

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Thanks for the head's up and Corrected. I will be a trainee. Been figuring things out on my own for a bit but lots to learn. With my Aurora LN, I can get to level 8 but I would really like to know that I can get to 15 with just my LN.

HellMel

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Hell-Mel
It can be done! It's certainly not my average score with the LN, but I have pulled it off a few times. Most of them were cheaty runs with 2 Omnis, one was a stock run. I have not yet managed to beat wave 12 with HOTAS though, which is definitely my weakest input device.

Dunky

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Ruddie
This sounds like a pretty good idea, sorting out those pilot who need more attention to their piloting than others
Nice!

Im definitely keen

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
TL;DR: We should actively seek out and train newbies to not suck. Then we'll have competent players that are invested in TEST.

There's actually something I've been thinking about lately that I feel will be very important in the long run, and can actually be implemented in the current version of AC, to a limited degree. I wanted to get some more opinions on it, so here we go.

TEST has an open door policy and a laid back attitude, the greatest strengths of which are the ability to attract newbies in droves. It's these newbies I want to talk about. New players are generally going to want to join a corporation quickly after starting the game because in general, it beats going it alone. The problem with this, is that most guilds/corps/orgs kind of suck for newbies. They come in, have an opportunity to make a difference, but many guilds take a stance of indifference, and this eventually leads to the newbie dicking around for a bit before deciding to leave the guild or the game.

I think we should try to prevent that by delivering what content the game has to offer directly to new players, such that they can learn how to play, and figure out what about the game they enjoy doing, regardless of if it's Mining, Exploration, Piracy, Whatever. We don't have the details for how Org structure is going to work yet, so I don't know if it would a squad, sub organization, or leadership team, whatever. I think the important bit is that we push for it to be part of the culture of TEST. Be nice to newbies, answer the same stupid fucking question every time it gets asked, because the guy asking it clearly doesn't know the answer.

As for the more immediate training, I'd like to start getting AC groups together to practice combat so we don't get curbstomped at launch.

Just my two cents.

EDITS FOLLOW:

My hours conflict with standard US Hours, but if you're around weekend mornings, I'll be in either or/both Chat+Mumble, hit me up.

There's been talk of just starting up a random game night for people to mess around in AC, if you're so inclined, just put in your Available hours and we can get the ball rolling.
Good idea, I agree with TEST Test server. Have everyone rotate around in a fleet of Orions/Reclaimers/Ect.

At this stage you could just put "Regular Times ppl play together sheet" just for easier match making? I'm new and soon will kick @rse in AC (pending new computer purchase & HOTAS not being 'Hard-Mode' lol)

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
OK, so just got back from Ethiopia. Really cool country but no decent internet...or reliable electricity...or water for that matter.
Anyway, wanted to check if you guys had done any training sessions yet?

Woodie

Lieutenant
Mar 5, 2015
RSI Handle
CRUlSER
Would be up for this.. although I'd only really be free Sunday & some Mondays on those times.

Forgot your password?