Trolling at Port Ollisar is getting to become a serious issue

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I've just stumbled over the mentioned named thread "Trolling at Port Ollisar is getting to become a serious issue" on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7slres/trolling_at_port_ollisar_is_getting_to_become_a/

It says:

I apologize in advance for making such a post, but there are an unlucky few of us who've been practically unable to play the game recently due to trolling at port Ollisar. I, personally, have more ships than I'd like to admit, however I'll spawn each and every one only to have them rammed and blown up/knocked into space by a cutlass or freelancer or some such before I can so much as get in, let alone take off. Worst of all, I get a crimestat if my ship gets rammed after I get in it, even if my engines are off. Three days in a row, I haven't been able to so much as leave port.

I'm sorry for a complaint post, but when will our beloved game have moderators? Or at least some sort of bandage solution to reduce the impact of these malicious players?
Imho there are two sides of this story: on the one hand I am truly sorry - and sad - that people can't enjoy the game due to some dumbshits who don't have anything to do but playing the "I'm the asshole of the day"-game.
On the other hand - and that weighs a little bit more, I think - it is very important having/experiencing gameplay sessions like this mentioned one, because now CIG can recognize and consider it and finally installing some kind of "countermeasure" just like the turrets on Port Olisar (which don't work very well currently, but I think they will do their job somewhen in the nearer future).

Your opinion?

Last point is obvious: be part of TEST - call for help - troll the trolls. Cheers! :beers:

P.S.: who locked me out of the TEST discord channel?? ;(

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I've always hated spawn camping.
I understand we're in development, but asshole behavior is frustrating whenever it occurs. Some people apparently get enjoyment out of it. Then again, I'm the kind of person that would let a lower level character in WoW pass me by, even if they were in my home territory on a PvP server. The fun of the game depends as much on the design as on the behavior of the other players. And some players are just smelly ballsacks.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Haven't had pad campers lately, But I have had a few incidences where some one sneaks up on me when I enter my Cat and the want to "just ride along". Yeah right, pal. If I get the feeling they are to try and snipe me, I fly about 10-20 km out. And then it's time to exit to menu and re-spawn. Good clean fun.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I also haven't had any pad campers since coming back to the fray. I know when I first jumped in I got some gruff from people as I landed on their pad (not knowing I had to call for a landing pad). That was twice and I "shared" the pad as I was able to fit my ship on the pad. I apologized and have learned from those two times..... so there will always be that.

Outside of that I have not had one issue of a ship crashing into me or someone "trolling". I haven't even had the joy of having a stowaway so I can keep for my pet....

The one thing in the Reddit thread that I enjoyed was the conversation about "right away". It makes some good conversation about flight lanes and everything else.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
For me, the acceptability of spawn camping really depends on the situation. Like, if you're a pirate, and you camp the exit to a jump point/qt, that's fine, 'cause you're still on a mostly even footing (sure, you've got the drop on them, but maybe they have an idris and you're stuck in a cutlass). Camping landing pads, with a ship at least, is right out. There's no fun in it, on either side. For the camper, it's not even challenging, and the camp-ee, well, it's bloody irritating. If you're camping with, say, a sniper rifle, however, there's at least a chance they can counter-snipe you or obscure your visibility somehow (maybe we'll get smoke grenades in the future or something?), and still get to their ship. On the other hand, if they can't afford a sniper rifle/smoke grenades/whatever and they're flying like, an aurora, maybe don't shoot them, because that wouldn't be fun.

Basically, it's a question of balance. If there's a way that they can feasibly defeat/get around you, no problem. Otherwise, you're just being a dick.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
Screw players being trolls, I'm getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis by Levski's landing grid everytime I try to take off. I'm pretty sure I've got PTSD about landing there and taking off again. It's like a bad remake of SAW 26 or the thunderdome in mad max "All will enter, none will leave!" If CIG needs to fix something, have them fix the super glue my landing gear is stuck to before it throws me to the wall in a fit of rage that even a toddler winces when they see it (man that looked like it hurt). Hold up your hands and can I get an Aw-Man!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I've seen people intentionally ram ships on the pads of PO repeatedly until they were knocked off into space. I've had people hover over outposts & wait until they see the doors open to shoot another players ship that is freshly filled with cargo to blow it up before they can even get to the ship let alone get the shields up. All of that irritated me greatly as those were done with clearly ill intent. On the other hand, I've had occasions where my ship would suddenly start moving erratically against my commands in some sort of odd glitch. (Especially before I managed to figure out how to effectively handle the basics of ship operation.) I've even landed on a few ships that seemed to spawn on the pad at PO as I was instructed to land at that spot. Oops. So I'll be the 1st to admit things sometimes happen out of the blue which were not intentional, but some people do seem to enjoy such activities.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Screw players being trolls, I'm getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis by Levski's landing grid everytime I try to take off. I'm pretty sure I've got PTSD about landing there and taking off again. It's like a bad remake of SAW 26 or the thunderdome in mad max "All will enter, none will leave!" If CIG needs to fix something, have them fix the super glue my landing gear is stuck to before it throws me to the wall in a fit of rage that even a toddler winces when they see it (man that looked like it hurt). Hold up your hands and can I get an Aw-Man!
I've found that if you just wait 15 -30 seconds before strafing up to lift off, the pad will release you. On moon surfaces this can take longer, but it let's me go eventually.
The bottom line is that no amount of button pressing will speed up the process.
Try the following:
1: get in your ship
2: make flight ready
3: strafe up
4: If it doesn't work, wait 10 seconds and try again
5: repeat as necessary
6: submit bug report or verify preexisting one.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I want a refund because I cannot play he keeps shooting me. I do not hold any hope that CIG will fix griefing other than create a bounty hunting mission. It very much seems they want as much player content as they can get to save them making it (How many prescribed missions or convoy runs will be fun). This issue has a very long way to run.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I've found that if you just wait 15 -30 seconds before strafing up to lift off, the pad will release you. On moon surfaces this can take longer, but it let's me go eventually.
The bottom line is that no amount of button pressing will speed up the process.
Try the following:
1: get in your ship
2: make flight ready
3: strafe up
4: If it doesn't work, wait 10 seconds and try again
5: repeat as necessary
6: submit bug report or verify preexisting one.
It happened a few times to me that while using full strafe up, the ship got very turbulent, spinning a lot. Lesson learned.
- use gentle strafe up (if you have analog strafe up)
- if the ship doesn't lift, use @MikeNificent procedure
- don't apply forward thrust or lateral strafe while take off until it is clear that you don't have a turbulent take off

MurgenTemplar

Grand Admiral
Oct 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Murgentemplar
Recently bored gamers wait near CryAstro or any outpost on the dark side of the moons to ambush caego-runners. Now, before the bugs on refitting your ships became more manifest I weaponed my Ghost with 3 Tarantula's and a C788 on top and flew back to Kudra Ore. There was a guy there who killed my empty Freelancer. On my approach he showed up, heading for another Freelancer, I turned, opened fire and I never saw someone panicing so badly. He had no skills at all except jousting at full speed. Anyway, I kept him busy and the Freelancer had a break.

Forgot your password?