That's not actually as bad as I thought. Having it in the starting location is a little annoying, but honestly isn't too terrible. It'd take you less than an hour to put most things back where you wanted them, in other landing zones. However, on the account reset page it says:doing a reset just for an item is also a pain in the ass, since all your stuff bought in different stations will be gathered at your starting location
Once the reset is complete, the following will happen:
- Your spawn point will be reset.
- You will need to re-customize your character.
- Your starting aUEC will be set to match your Long Term Persistence Ledger.
- All ships, vehicles, and related equipment will be reset to their default state.
- Consumable items such as Food, Drink, MedPens, Ammo, Grenades, etc will be removed.
- Mission progress will be reset.However, as of SC Alpha 3.13.0 Reputation will now persist.
- all the aUEC you'd accumulated (and have just your starting aUEC),
- all the armour, components and ships you'd bought in-game for aUEC
- I'm not clear to me whether the Long Term Persistence Ledger would track (more or less) your in-game aUEC total (I think maybe yes, give or take a discrepancy for aUEC awarded or something bought or sold recently while servers were having trouble syncing?). So would you lose all the money you'd earned in game, or just potentially lose/gain a little of it that hadn't properly synced into the long term persistence ledger?
- I'm not clear to me whether 'All ships, vehicles, and related equipment' here includes
- ships bought in the real world and in my hangar on the RSI website,
- ships, vehicles and related equipment (so that's mining heads, quantum drives, coolers, shield generators etc, right?) bought in game
- or both.
- I'm not clear whether armour, helmets, undersuits bought in game would be removed in a character reset or not
I'm sure there are definitive 'you keep it' / 'you lost it' answers to all these and maybe more categories of possession in the game. Sorry, I'm not deliberately trying to be lazy and just get someone else to Google it for me. My point is that what you'd keep and what you'd lose in a character reset is both a little bit complicated and is explained on the help page for doing it a little bit ambiguously. Recommending it as the current 'best' way to get back a bit of subscriber armour you lost by dying somehow or other (there are SO many intended and unintended ways to die!) makes me concerned that someone would lose items they value and credits worth a lot more than the lost bits of kit they'd get back after the reset! Am I just being dumb, or is this a concern for anyone else too?
Would YOU trust a character reset as a satisfactory way to get your favourite bit of subscriber armour back?!