Upcoming Subscriber Flairs (Updated regularly)

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I don't get the point of spaceship plushies IRL (assuming they exist). Models, sure, makes sense. But soft toys? It appears we (players) are more likely than the population in general to be male and we might suppose subscribers tend to be old enough to afford the sub - of course there are plenty of exceptions, everyone's welcome (I really hope!), but by virtue of what SC is I suspect those are the groups to whom the game appeals more. If that is true, I'm guessing we generally under-index on owning soft toys IRL compared to the population as a whole. And then an in game soft toy...?! In fact, lots of in game ones...? When all the players and NPCs want to be badasses so much of the time... how does that make sense?!

Puzzled. But sure. Why not.
something something destruction of masculinity, something something infantilization of adults.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
something something destruction of masculinity, something something infantilization of adults.
Sure, I guess. I really don't mean to rant and for folks who like plushies/soft toys, great, nothing wrong with that in the least. It just seems rather disconnected from many other themes in this game, and I wonder who thought that's what we need as hangar flair. I guess they need some small, simple, low-value bits of set dressing to give away. So how about a display stand that can be used for a helmet, armor piece, weapon or loot-box item we want to show off? Or a workbench for servicing gear? A toolbox? A picture frame to which we can upload our own screenshots? Some little (non-copyright-infringing) equivalent to a Roomba or BD-1 droid that potters about in the hangar cleaning the floors? Some more small arms? A target for an impromptu shooting range? A display that shows commodity prices in the current location? A clock showing local time and day/night cycle?

There are tons of smallish, relatively simple trinkets that subscribers might like more than a soft toy!

[Edit: more ideas
Small fridge to keep drinks/food in
Something for cleaning clothing (don't need to actually implement any interactivity for this - just as set dressing)
Sink to wash hands in after doing repair work on ships/gear (ditto)
Trolleys (that don't kill you) for moving heavier components around your hangar
Hoses for refueling - fuel still costs normal amount
More variety of furniture that a miner/trader/combat pilot might want to use

...I mean I'm not super bothered about any of these as I understand they're meant to be nice trinkets to show you've subscribed but not really give any in-game benefit. But any of those sorts of things - and they've done plenty of them in the past - are more consistent with the theme of the game than a Cutlass Black Plushie.]

Last edited:

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Sure, I guess. I really don't mean to rant and for folks who like plushies/soft toys, great, nothing wrong with that in the least. It just seems rather disconnected from many other themes in this game, and I wonder who thought that's what we need as hangar flair. I guess they need some small, simple, low-value bits of set dressing to give away. So how about a display stand that can be used for a helmet, armor piece, weapon or loot-box item we want to show off? Or a workbench for servicing gear? A toolbox? A picture frame to which we can upload our own screenshots? Some little (non-copyright-infringing) equivalent to a Roomba or BD-1 droid that potters about in the hangar cleaning the floors? Some more small arms? A target for an impromptu shooting range? A display that shows commodity prices in the current location? A clock showing local time and day/night cycle?

There are tons of smallish, relatively simple trinkets that subscribers might like more than a soft toy!

[Edit: more ideas
Small fridge to keep drinks/food in
Something for cleaning clothing (don't need to actually implement any interactivity for this - just as set dressing)
Sink to wash hands in after doing repair work on ships/gear (ditto)
Trolleys (that don't kill you) for moving heavier components around your hangar
Hoses for refueling - fuel still costs normal amount
More variety of furniture that a miner/trader/combat pilot might want to use

...I mean I'm not super bothered about any of these as I understand they're meant to be nice trinkets to show you've subscribed but not really give any in-game benefit. But any of those sorts of things - and they've done plenty of them in the past - are more consistent with the theme of the game than a Cutlass Black Plushie.]
They've already done a cot (I guess it's use is to allow you to be able to sleep in a persistant hangar once they arrive), a workbench, and a number of other hangar decorations in the past, so it's unlikely they'd repeat these.

I believe the cot and workbench may have been available to purchase indivdually in the past or been subscriber flair, but at present the only way to get them is in the Constellation Andromeda starter package - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Constellation-Andromeda-Starter-Package
It's also probably the only reason to get this package, as they aren't even included in the $40,000 Legatus package as far as I am aware (I'm not at a level where I can confirm this personally, but my research indicates they aren't included there).

The advantage of "plushies" over many of the items you suggested is that they aren't reliant on having persistant hangars or habs, as they can also be placed on seats/tables/beds in ships at present: I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of your suggestions become available once we get the persistant locations (either as "subscriber" items, general pledge store items, "rewards" like the Halloween masks, or even included as stadard in the hangars/habs) - They may even start selling "furnishing packs" at that time to help people personalise these areas.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I wonder who thought that's what we need as hangar flair.
my guess is it's the same people who decided to make the pride month photoshop album - a small group of a handful of CIG employees that act on their own, using the platform of CIG's website despite not being instructed by their bosses to do so.
this could very well have somehow flown under the radar of the higher-ups in CIG because they just think nothing of it and too few of their employees are involved, so the effects on the company's overall performance is negligible in the worst of cases.

and that small handful of people probably just focus on their own little childish ideas because that's what they think about.
it's not an isolated case of people being useless. I don't know if you've seen it, the video made by that one lady who worked at Twitter, where she showcases all the stuff that makes the Twitter offices into nothing more than an adult day care center: free food, "employees" just standing around and talking with drinks in their hand, and RED WINE ON TAP just before going out on a break with their "colleague" friends. (no wonder Twitter has gone insane, THEY'RE CONSTANTLY DRUNK ON WINE!)

Last edited:

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Maybe a poster?

We had a few posters for events or citcon in the past
I was thinking something along those lines myself when I saw it (a set of "antique" event or promotional posters) or some form of antique items related to the event (possibly even just one item in various "conditions" like the artifacts and medals that can be found at the abandoned outposts). If so, it suggests to me that there were likely plans to have persistant habs or hangars (and patch 3.18) in place by this month when the selection of flair to be created was signed off on - I seem to recall something about work on freight elevators in them being an issue with the cargo refactor, too, but we may still see them (absent cargo elevators?) in 3.18.

One important note about the image, too: Jump Point is now every 2 months, rather than each month, so in theory that picture could also need to cover December as well (Or there isn't going to be any hints for December and we'll need to wait until December 6 (first Tuesday) to find out) - The last Jump Point (2 months earlier) didn't include any hints about last month's "plushies", so they may be switching to a very cryptic image for one month followed by no hints for the following.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
It is official? They don't have enough money from sub now to do a pdf and some lore???
Sadly, yes: There wasn't one last month - We went from August to October, with no hint of the Plushies for last month having been supplied either there or in emails.

There doesn't seem to have been much impact in the content, either: August was 19 pages, October 18.

Doc Flanigan

Admiral
Donor
Mar 27, 2021
RSI Handle
Doc_Flanigan
Sadly, yes: There wasn't one last month - We went from August to October, with no hint of the Plushies for last month having been supplied either there or in emails.

There doesn't seem to have been much impact in the content, either: August was 19 pages, October 18.
and here I was thinking of upgrading from the $10 sub package, to the $20 sub package.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My main reason for subscribing might seem selfish, but in addition to liking the various periodic rewards to some degree or another, that coupon that you get after a full 12 months of subscribing that is worth either 10% or 20% off of 1 item purchase up to $500 dollars worth can come in really nice come time for sales of ships, especially for ship packages that are at least $500 in value, which gives you effectively a free $100 off the cost before taxes.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Also, I'm at a complete loss as to what the next subscriber flair will be for Nov, but I hope that it's something nice. I'm thinking that I'll be using my Drake plushies as target practice for my "nerf" guns in game.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Not a subscriber, never was... but if CIG shifted to release flair every two month thats mean the next batch of item will be around 3.18 and considering that the page hinted at something industrial related, I'll guess something like the portable dedicated salvage tool: considering that hull scraping will (hopefully) coming in that same patch it will be a perfect fit...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Not a subscriber, never was... but if CIG shifted to release flair every two month thats mean the next batch of item will be around 3.18 and considering that the page hinted at something industrial related, I'll guess something like the portable dedicated salvage tool: considering that hull scraping will (hopefully) coming in that same patch it will be a perfect fit...
I'd be cool with CIG gifting subscribers more sets of multi-tools that would match more popular color schemes of their various armors, or of color schemed versions of a dedicated hull scraping tool similar to how there is a dedicated med gun.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
It's not the flair that's being released every 2 months, it's the "Jump Point" PDF that Subscribers receive with background information\images of concept art for recent releases\alternative designs these ships could have had. I can't see the flair being dropped to every 2 months, as that would almost certainly end with a loss of income for them from subscriptions, whereas the pdf isn't a core motivation for many to subscribe.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
My main reason for subscribing might seem selfish, but in addition to liking the various periodic rewards to some degree or another, that coupon that you get after a full 12 months of subscribing that is worth either 10% or 20% off of 1 item purchase up to $500 dollars worth can come in really nice come time for sales of ships, especially for ship packages that are at least $500 in value, which gives you effectively a free $100 off the cost before taxes.
That was one of the main reasons I subscribed - I was planning to use the coupon for the entrepreneur pack (I wish I hadn't missed that one), but instead used it for a warbond "Roughneck pack" when the Expanse was "releaseed"... With WB and the $100 (max saving on 20% coupon) discount the $595 credit\$505 WB pack dropped to $405, saving over 30% on the indivdual ship prices (before increases for the Vulture and Expanse are factored in)... Maybe not as good as CCU savings could be (I was only starting to learn about them back then), but still a decent discount on ships I wanted.

Forgot your password?