Upgrade or wait and see?

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I've been freezing a lot in game, not crashing so I could send an error report, but just freezing up so I have to alt-tab out and close the game from task manager. I know it's most likely because the game is still in alpha but I'm wondering if I should save my pennies and update my computer as well. Currently I have an i5-6500 3.2Ghz, a geforce gtx 960 2GB, and 16GB of ram. I don't really have much money for updating my computer but I thought that maybe I could get an i5-7600k 3.8Ghz and a geforce gtx 1050 ti 4GB and maybe a liquid cooler for the CPU so I could overclock it. Is such an upgrade worth it or should I wait and see if they're better able to optimize the game?

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'm using a 2TB hybrid drive. I know I'm not the only person to encounter the freezing issue but I know some don't seem to encounter the same problems at all. I just wasn't sure if there was something hardware related I could do on my end that could make a difference. I know the next couple updates are supposed to make things easier on the user end if I understand it correctly so I may not have to do anything I guess

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Have you tried waiting for 30-40 seconds when the game freezes?
We all get these freezes but 99% of them will 'clear up' after a short period of time.

Your system is adequate for now....I suggest wait and see.
It will be at least 6 months before most optimizations take place so you have plenty of time.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I'm using a 2TB hybrid drive. I know I'm not the only person to encounter the freezing issue but I know some don't seem to encounter the same problems at all. I just wasn't sure if there was something hardware related I could do on my end that could make a difference. I know the next couple updates are supposed to make things easier on the user end if I understand it correctly so I may not have to do anything I guess
A full SSD is highly recommended, harddrives tend to having issues loading which can cause freezes while it catches up.

bedoinitusa

Space Marshal
Dec 8, 2017
RSI Handle
GloomyGun
Not sure what is going on but, I have been getting alot of lagspikes in the past week. Don't think this has anything to do with your upgrade question or not. Just hope this dont appear in the new patch at the end of June.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Currently I have an i5-6500 3.2Ghz, a geforce gtx 960 2GB, and 16GB of ram.
I'm using a 2TB hybrid drive.
Sounds like you are living on the edge.
Have you tried waiting for 30-40 seconds when the game freezes?
We all get these freezes but 99% of them will 'clear up' after a short period of time.
I would advise to try this. If the game gets out of the freeze,
A full SSD is highly recommended
^^ this would be an option.
If this improves the freezes reaction time, you always can do:
get an i5-7600k 3.8Ghz and a geforce gtx 1050 ti 4GB

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Because they are still building the game Optimisation (where they go through and refine the code so it runs stable on as many PC builds as is possible) has yet to occur and it probably won't be done until much closer to launch.

Some PC rigs that should be able to knock this game out of the park are not performing well, whereas some PC rigs that really should not be able to function (like mine - Phenom2 2.8ghz, 8gb ram, 2gb GTX750 (non-TI version) and a 120gb SSD) are somehow still functioning - Yes, I am running the game on that, I am very lucky. PU is 10 to 20FPS, AC is better and much more playable but from what I have heared this is usual at the moment...?

As others have said a fast SSD is a very good step in the right direction, that upgrade and then wait for release would be a good plan.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'm throwing in my vote for "wait it out."

If you desperately want to try something and spend some money, you would probably do ok getting an SSD that you could then plop into your new computer, so you wouldn't lose the money. But honestly, if the game was ok before, just wait and see. Anything else you would buy (like a new CPU or GPU) would be obsolete by the time the game comes out, so it really would be money wasted.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for the game to load with the hybrid drive?

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I'm throwing in my vote for "wait it out."

If you desperately want to try something and spend some money, you would probably do ok getting an SSD that you could then plop into your new computer, so you wouldn't lose the money. But honestly, if the game was ok before, just wait and see. Anything else you would buy (like a new CPU or GPU) would be obsolete by the time the game comes out, so it really would be money wasted.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for the game to load with the hybrid drive?
I can tell you, I tested it on my Seagate 8TB archive drive, several hours.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Does it just freeze in PU or in Singleplayer ArenaCommander/vanduul swarm as well?
Buying an SSD is highly recommended, as it won't be obsolete for quite a while yet and you can always pop into a new pc later.
Anyways, I would wait at least until the end of year patch when the most important optimisations should be implemented, and see how it goes.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Get an SSD it will make you're PC feel like nearly new and improve star citizen performance too (been proven that an SSD increases FPS in SC)

Leave the rest of the PC for another year and start saving up for buying some fun stuff.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Get an SSD it will make you're PC feel like nearly new and improve star citizen performance too (been proven that an SSD increases FPS in SC)

Leave the rest of the PC for another year and start saving up for buying some fun stuff.

I agree with this. I've put off upgrading my PC and instead been putting money into ship buying. Figured when SC goes to beta then I can look to buy a new PC.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Figured when SC goes to beta then I can look to buy a new PC.
My plan exactly. Just about the only thing i'm short on right now is an SSD, but the game still runs absolutely terrible for me (I've been stuck in the bed at port olisar for the last 2 patches, as a matter of fact). I dont want to get a new one now and have it not be able to run the game in a couple years for whatever reason.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
If possible, try to get an M.2 instead of an SSD. SSD is limited to SATA, max 600 MB, while M.2 can go much faster.

Samsung 970 EVO, 250 GB SSD: read 3400 MB/s, write 1500 MB/s, € 96,90
Samsung 860 EVO, 250 GB SSD: read 550 MB/s, write 520 MB/s, € 73,90

You must check if your MB supports M.2

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Keep in mind too, there are other factors that can lead to periodic freezes. This is particularly true on a PC older than 2 years. What I would do is:
  1. Check your memory. Try memtest86. If you have a bad sector on your ram, it can cause hitches and freezeups.
  2. Check your PSU. Do the math on your cpu, gpu, hdd, etc. See if your power supply is up to the task. Sometimes it isn't and can cause freezeups and slow your pc down in various ways. This is particularly applicable in a prebuilt machine since many manufacturers cut corners on their PSU.
  3. Check your temps. Sometimes on an older rig, the heat sink can become dislodged or inefficient. As the CPU approaches overheating, it slows you down and can throttle everything. This can be more prevalent if you are running your cpu at 100% all the time.
  4. Get a SSD. Like others mentioned, it's a little money for a ton of improvement. Plus, you can bring it with you when you do finally upgrade your whole PC. So you're not throwing away money.

I'm not saying you have any or all of these issues, but you might. It's worth checking out though if you're trying to squeeze every last month out of an older rig.

Forgot your password?