[Video] $280 budget PC build

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I was looking to give my daughter a PC upgrade that could last here a few years.

Instead of building one power PC, I ended up building two and under the $300 budget thanks to parts from some TESTies!

AMD Ryzen 2200g, a PSU, a AB350M motherboard, 8gb DDR4 RAM for the little girl.

Also shout out to @Cool-Hand-Luke and @Stevetank who donated the parts needed to complete what become the second biuld!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Thanks for this, Toys. (Can I call him that?) I am always interested to see what people can build. I was fascinated by your off hand comment near the end about APUs. I had no idea what that is.

For those of us who will want to build a new system, but don't want to just throw cash at a manufacturer like Alienware but want a contemporary build, I wonder if there is any conventional wisdom to share?

I haven't bought a new PC for almost 20 years just because I am currently a Mac user, but I do plan to build a dedicated gaming machine and I don't want to build something that isn't forward compatible. So my guess is I need to start with the latest motherboard and an i9 CPU? Is that right?

Not building now but hope to in just another couple months.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

I am about to install another two sticks or RAM and have just put an old SSD into my 9 year old PC, just need to upgrade the GTX750 to a GTX1050ti and I think i'll be set for another few years :)

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
HA HA HA... This is awesome..

And..... yeah as I remember it was sticks and stones in my time, but did upgrade to real Lego further up the age ha ha.... :P

What a great thing you done for you kid... :D ^^

TEST SQUADRON ( is ) BEST SQUADRON!! Like it or look the other way we don't care... ha ha ha ha...

We got beer! :beer::beers::beer::beer::beer::beers::beers::beer::beer:
( Beer is yellow when glass is full and black when empty )

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Thanks for this, Toys. (Can I call him that?) I am always interested to see what people can build. I was fascinated by your off hand comment near the end about APUs. I had no idea what that is.

For those of us who will want to build a new system, but don't want to just throw cash at a manufacturer like Alienware but want a contemporary build, I wonder if there is any conventional wisdom to share?

I haven't bought a new PC for almost 20 years just because I am currently a Mac user, but I do plan to build a dedicated gaming machine and I don't want to build something that isn't forward compatible. So my guess is I need to start with the latest motherboard and an i9 CPU? Is that right?

Not building now but hope to in just another couple months.
I'm actively looking right now. People post working builds all the time at https://pcpartpicker.com

The big news is, right now, with prices of RAM and GPUs so high, due to crypto-miners, you can find prebuilt computers on Amazon for not that much more than building it yourself (the companies get volume discounts on their parts).

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I rely on tomshardware.com for good info on getting the most bang for your PC-building buck

they do lots of testing to back their recommendations up

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Can @NinjaGirl play SC with her new Frankestein PC? Yeah, building a decent PC is expensive. I got lucky that I could replace my 8 year old limping PC with a decent new one and that I could replace my GPU with a good one before prices increased another € 300. Luckily I still don't have to build a PC for my 2 sons and my wife doesn't play games :grin:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
I'm actively looking right now. People post working builds all the time at https://pcpartpicker.com

The big news is, right now, with prices of RAM and GPUs so high, due to crypto-miners, you can find prebuilt computers on Amazon for not that much more than building it yourself (the companies get volume discounts on their parts).
Actually, GPUs are mostly back to normal, +~$50.

Forgot your password?