Video: A reminder that Star Citizen is in alpha!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I keep getting people arguing with me about what it means to be in alpha.

Some are pointing to wikipedia definitions insisting what we have now is beta.

Its not up to you or me to decide what stage of development this game is in.

The devs decide, and they are saying "The game is currently in alpha version."

Im not understanding why some people get to pick and choose what stage of development Star Citizen is in.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

cmink

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2017
RSI Handle
cmink
If this is vaporware or a scam, then it is the worst example ever, 'cuz I am having a blast, a frustrating, occasionally aggravating blast, but a blast all the same.

*This, Exactly this.

For the majority of my SC existence, be it small, I am enjoying trying to get up to speed, using different ships, and learning how to survive. For every broken ship, frozen transaction, and frustrating framerate, I steadily build my bank, get a favorable landing bounce, and kill some idiot trying to hijack my ship.

It may be a few years down the road, but I look forward to cities, more things to grind & buy, much better battles, and spending time on some huge ships, crossing into the unknown. By then, I may have a decent hangar.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I keep getting people arguing with me about what it means to be in alpha.

Some are pointing to wikipedia definitions insisting what we have now is beta.

Its not up to you or me to decide what stage of development this game is in.

The devs decide, and they are saying "The game is currently in alpha version."

Im not understanding why some people get to pick and choose what stage of development Star Citizen is in.
In my mind, this is definitely pre-alpha, with "a layer of icing on the top" that makes it playable. It doesn't have anywhere near all the features it will have when released, and the features it does have contain bugs and there is no optimization.

However, knowing all the excitement people have for the game, how long it will take, and how much people have spent to support it, CIG has (wisely) included enough features that are playable, so we all don't go nuts waiting for it. Unfortunately, because you can play a bit, people confuse it with a game that is near release.

And of course, it doesn't help having the hate cult surrounding SC pouring hate out in random places.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hey! As long as yer getting up to get another beer, would ya mind getting me one?
Might as well make it two. Saves time for when I drain the first.
No problem, could you just hold my beer?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hey! This one's empty.
Don't worry, it's happy hour! As there was a 3 for £5 I managed to talk them round to selling me 6 for £5. So here you go, 6 beers... It's a work night so I can't have any so, enjoy!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Some TESTies playing "hold my beer". Yes, that was Graptor trying to drive from outside the truck, Naff sprint racing on the sidewalk, Marcsand using his head so his friend can light a cigar, and Owl practicing alcohol abuse there at the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbzFvf6xX74

It's a true story!
Hahaha, I remember being that Goddamned stupid. Thank God I lived through that shit, haha. That was hilarious.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
Some TESTies playing "hold my beer". Yes, that was Graptor trying to drive from outside the truck, Naff sprint racing on the sidewalk, Marcsand using his head so his friend can light a cigar, and Owl practicing alcohol abuse there at the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbzFvf6xX74

It's a true story!
I'm honored by the placement of driving outside the truck, but the 2 horse fails are more up my alley! LOL. That was hilarious!

Forgot your password?