[Video] CIG's new fan kit and terms of use

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Speaking on the subject of things that could cause problems, I saw this idea advertised on Spectrum and can already hear heavy breathing by a CIG lawyer somewhere.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/7/thread/radegast-whiskey-2947-homeward-limited-edition-rea

An idea like this will work with CIG approval, but the fact that this person already bought website addresses and contacted 3rd parties to create for a profit what could be a copyrighted material right after this fan kit stuff came out is interesting. It is using a company name from the lore which is stated as against the TOS in the fine print of the fan kit.

I am still planning on 3D printing a few ships for my desk, but how careful I have to tread is so vague that it can be concerning.
The link seems to be gone already. As for 3D printed models they are really interesting. Could you "get around" the selling profit clause by accepting donations after giving away models?
Link still works for me. For getting around the profit issue, with how vague the terminology is, fighting a C&D or court would be difficult if approached by CIG.
I can answer why the link does not work - it's the Concierge area of the forum only unlockable after a certain pledge level.

*twiddles mustache*

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I can answer why the link does not work - it's the Concierge area of the forum only unlockable after a certain pledge level.

*twiddles mustache*
D'OH! I copy and pasted the Spectrum post below for context then.

"Hello All Concierge Buddies,

I'd like to reach out to the community of Concierge players and see what the level of interest would be for an actual, physical release of the Radegast Whiskey 2947 "Homeward Limited Edition".
I'm very well connected in the Whisky / Scotch industry, and as a fan of Star Citizen... this Concierge level perk in game really struck a chord with me.

As you can read below, the Radegast Whiskey 2947 is a 40 year old whisky... and my thoughts were to release exactly that. A 40 year old Whisky, as an homage to the in-game Concierge perk. So you can
physically have this on your shelves, or drink the sucker if you so please. I'm toying with the idea right now; but price point would be around $1,500-2,000 (estimate). Also it would be extremely limited to maybe 100-150 bottles.

Again this is just an idea at this stage, but something that I know I would enjoy having sitting beside my Simpit. If there's enough interest; I will reach out to RSI/CIG in regards to licensing / legalities.

o7,
Starwhore

--UPDATE--
For fun, I just purchased the web urls: radegastdistillery.com / radegast.space / radegastwhiskey.space / radegastwhiskey.com lol urls are like pokemon, gotta catch em all !!!

" Radegast Whiskey 2947 Homeward Limited-Edition: Radegast Whiskey 2947 Homeward Limited-Edition - With an unparalleled reputation for crafting phenomenal whiskeys of uncompromising quality for over four centuries, Radegast Distillery is proud to announce the 2947 release of its Homeward Limited-Edition Collection 40 SEY. Under the careful watch of award-winning Master Distiller Hanshi Wilkes, Martian spirits are hand-blended and barreled in Angeli casks before being flown from Croshaw home to Port Renatus. The result is a 40-year-old dram that embraces the adventurous flavor profiles of Angeli with the traditional personality of a Martian whiskey; a drink worthy of coming home for. "

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I am still planning on 3D printing a few ships for my desk, but how careful I have to tread is so vague that it can be concerning.
Remember I am not a lawyer, but I think the purpose of the policy is not to scare you from doing this, the purpose seems to be to protect CIG's reputation. If they're for your own use, and not for sale this is what fan art is supposed to be for. But my suggestion is, if you are in doubt, ask CIG for clarification for your intended use.

The link seems to be gone already. As for 3D printed models they are really interesting. Could you "get around" the selling profit clause by accepting donations after giving away models?
Not quite. The base issue is not that you made money on the things, that just raises your liability if you lose if it ends up in court... and if you broke the terms, and you end up in court, you kind of deserve it for reasons I'll explain below.

My understanding of trademark law is that you have to vigorously defend your TM's, or you can lose them.
This is certainly part of the issue, but doesn't capture the why or the scope. If you own some intellectual property, a patent, trademark or whatnot, and you don't defend it, you can lose your rights - that is true. But the reason you lose your rights is actually to protect you. This is because if you're not actively managing your IP rights, you kind of become an accomplice to issues caused by infringing work. You might even find yourself a named defendant in a lawsuit for damages caused by someone infringing on your intellectual property. This can actually happen anyway, but the risk is much lower if you take an active role in management of your own rights.

That last is why companies usually say something like, "you must agree to this license" The license usually spends a lot of time outlining the acceptable ways of using the license, and a statement that "We're not responsible for your screw ups". But those who operate without a license are just idiots, and are totally unprotected.

Forgot your password?