[Video] I need $80,000 so I can buy this NFT spaceship!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I miss that old version of my 300i...

Will game urinalists call this a scam like they did/still do with SC? Place your bets now!

Good vid! I think the perpetrators of Star Atlas were smart. There is a hype, there was a niche that could be filled, and they will rake in a lot more dough before they have to jump ship!
I do wonder though, if the ships look so similar, could CIG possibly sue them for copyright? There is a lot of damages to be won!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
If the designs feel familiar, its because former CIG concept artists made them.

Here is the thing, SC is using a MUCH older engine as a starting loint (yes, I know they have changed it a lot, but it is still 2 generations behind). It also has proven a lot of the tech can be done, and former employees will be able to come in with a lot of the skills they gained in SC to provide very high quality elements to newer games.

SC is now at the point where other game developers can come in and leapfrog what SC was trying to do. What was bleeding edge is now much closer to what others can achieve with very little extra effort.

CR said that it can’t take a decade to produce because they will miss their window of opportunity. While I don’t see Star Atlas being that game (yet), I can certainly see other studios working feverishly to create the game that bypasses SC in terms of gameplay and graphics. I would not be shocked that if SC has not progressed significantly in 2-3 years, we might see a game that’s released that does everything SC can do today and more.…including large scale cooperative gameplay on a single server.

• o7
Reactions: Deroth

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I miss that old version of my 300i...

Will game urinalists call this a scam like they did/still do with SC? Place your bets now!

Good vid! I think the perpetrators of Star Atlas were smart. There is a hype, there was a niche that could be filled, and they will rake in a lot more dough before they have to jump ship!
I do wonder though, if the ships look so similar, could CIG possibly sue them for copyright? There is a lot of damages to be won!
Sorry, SC has already produced a TON of ships that look like ships in other games (cough…vulture). If they went after Star Atlas, they can easily claim it has more differences than SC has for its ships…

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
SC is now at the point where other game developers can come in and leapfrog what SC was trying to do.
If there is some engine that can do exactly what SC needs, then maybe. BUT the secret sauce is not the engine.

Take a look at New World, they did so much right, but at the same time, it does not matter what your game engine can do if the actual game itself is not living up to expectations.

• Glorious

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
If there is some engine that can do exactly what SC needs, then maybe. BUT the secret sauce is not the engine.

Take a look at New World, they did so much right, but at the same time, it does not matter what your game engine can do if the actual game itself is not living up to expectations.
I agree, gameplay trumps all, but SC has been having lots of problems there too. They also are tying to put in too many contradictory aspects. Quick death, harsh death penalties. Cooperative game play, but no way to determine of you can trust a random party member. (In Test, you can count on them to kill you in a hilarious way, usually by crashing…). They charge an arm and a leg for ships, but you are supposed to be okay (in a game with serious penalties for death/destruction) with other people controlling your ship when you are offline, just because you got disconnected or had to duck out. Cooperative gameplay, but no easy way to meet up with friends that are online and playing on a server (server mashing might fix this).
SC is trying to be everything to everybody. Thing is, it’s been tried before (UO, SWG to name two) and there were problems then, and those problems and the solutions to those problems have not changed.

• o7

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Naa, because buying an NFT makes it property and property is nine tenths of the law, isn't it?

One thing I want to know is what happens if the Atlas project fails and those NFTs don't have an eventual asset to claim you own... you still own the NFT because that's what you bought but what happens with it then? Can you attach it to a new asset or are you stick with something which was never anything in the first place?

Like, also what happens if I or someone like a haxtor or whoever 301 redirects the URL in the minted NFT to an asset like that $2 million dollar tweet? Do I suddenly have a $2 million dollar NFT to sell?

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Sorry, SC has already produced a TON of ships that look like ships in other games (cough…vulture). If they went after Star Atlas, they can easily claim it has more differences than SC has for its ships…
That's not a defense. "look your honor, they kinda did it too" doesn't work in a court of law. Anyways, whether there will be a lawsuit depends on what agreements were signed between the creator of the original art and CiG, who holds what copyrights and whether cig can provide enough of a reasoning that the creation and sales based on the SA concept arts caused damages to them. Even if it comes to that, SA might be able to point the finger at the artists themselves being at fault, and get away with it.

Still I'd love to see them get slapped hard for pulling such scummy bullshit.

Forgot your password?