ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi

Channeling CR "We have to develop it before you can see what's in it"

CIG will piss people off... but really, most people do not see SQ42 as the main game. The persistent universe is the core of the game (maybe not by design but attrition), not SQ42.

Maybe we should direct resources to the persistent universe and accept SQ42 will come about AFTER things have settled down (new functionality - I know we'd be waiting until 2026). That said, they put themselves in a corner by saying SQ42 leads to the PU. Maybe they should rethink it... focus on the PU then bring people in to SQ42 as an enlistment with huge perks for playing it.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi

Channeling CR "We have to develop it before you can see what's in it"

CIG will piss people off... but really, most people do not see SQ42 as the main game. The persistent universe is the core of the game (maybe not by design but attrition), not SQ42.

Maybe we should direct resources to the persistent universe and accept SQ42 will come about AFTER things have settled down (new functionality - I know we'd be waiting until 2026). That said, they put themselves in a corner by saying SQ42 leads to the PU. Maybe they should rethink it... focus on the PU then bring people in to SQ42 as an enlistment with huge perks for playing it.
Honestly i couldn't have heard this any better 100% right i was thinking about this also when i watched from what SC was initially to what it is now and the developmental changes that have happened like multiple planets to actually land on mission givers types of different ships and what the final products are changed into. Then core functionality such as rain on helmets all the weapons in development. how hangers are used, the item system it goes on and on with how much the universe has changed. to be honest i think SQ42 should be embeded into the procedural universe either it be mostly instances etc or quest style with cinematic instances.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
focus on the PU then bring people in to SQ42 as an enlistment with huge perks for playing it.
Imagine, you finish SQ42 you get a REALLY cool perk - ship LTI, preferred trading, less taxes, etc. for example. If you don't then you get nothing except a dishonorable discharge (working with pirates/not completing your contract - maybe too harsh, but we want emersion, right?) just like an enlistment in the real military. If they don't complete the SQ42, maybe they do not get preferred treatment by the UEE. They can still be pirates, but with a more of a fee for going to jail, etc.

If you start SQ42... rewards are huge. If you start SQ42 and don't finish, then the rewards are significantly less.

Problem is, many people may pay for SQ42 and think, regardless, they get preferential treatment. As someone who is a Space Marshall... the investment for SQ42 is minimal compared to the overall goal - a universe that is limitless. So, someone who pays $50, should get "some" satisfaction for SQ42 without completing it, but not the whole enchilada. That said, SQ42 should be able to be completed with 75% who attempt.

This is CD throwing an olive branch for the failed attempt at SQ42.

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
soon™
i expected Q2/2021

Honestly i would start worrying if they release it beyond Q4 2021.
And since around 30-50% of our pledge goes into SQ42, even if there are shared assets, we as stake holders should keep on putting pressure on CIG.
I backed for both games. I want a great single player experience. Also i think that if SQ42 is a success it will bring a lot of money into CIGs account therefore might help with the future development.

Last edited:

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Honestly i would start worrying if they release it beyond Q4 2021
Start worrying 8-9 years later? Lol... people say it will be done when its done... just keep sending money. Dumb asses... anyway... these dumb asses are correct, but wrong, this will not be done for years because CIG is just getting its legs and the PU is changing faster than they can produce.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Start worrying 8-9 years later? Lol... people say it will be done when its done... just keep sending money. Dumb asses... anyway... these dumb asses are correct, but wrong, this will not be done for years because CIG is just getting its legs and the PU is changing faster than they can produce.
meanwhile edited the post above ^^

We have seen many delays, there a lot of good reasons why there have been delays. I never expected SQ42 this year (since the roadmap stated it)
But it really is time to deliver what has been promised.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I never expected SQ42 this year (since the roadmap stated it)
What is reasonable for you --- 12 years... good grief, at some point you have to acknowledge there is a problem. Denial only works for so long.

CIG just needs to say they fucked up... move on and continue making the PU great, until it is feasible for a true SQ42. CIG put the cart before the horse on this subject.

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
What is reasonable for you --- 12 years... good grief, at some point you have to acknowledge there is a problem. Denial only works for so long.
Be honest when the roadmap stated Q3/2020 Beta did you really expected it will be done by Q4/2020 ?
I expected 6 month beta and bugfixing + minor delay -> Q2/2021

And that "I" would really start worrying when it comes later than Q4/2021.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Be honest when the roadmap stated Q3/2020 Beta did you really expected it will be done by Q4/2020
Were still in ALPHA... you think SQ42 is around the corner (6 months a year is a drop in the hat by CIG 8 year experiment)... by this rate, at least 5-6 years, if it ever exists anyway. I don't regret my investment YET... but I think these people are smoking crack when they think SQ42 can be released in 2021... for goodness sake, we just figured out how to throw a grenade.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'd be honestly surprised if it was even partially released in 2021. There is still so much missing from status effects for the player, physicalized inventory, icache, they are still working on volumetric clouds, the AI still has a ways to go, physics grids still need to be modifiable, docking, ship armor, and modules, ship status ... and the list goes on for miles. They also made it seem like in the Briefing room that the station they showed off was the only one mostly complete.

But it's ok. Even if it takes SQ42 another 4 years to complete as it's not the reason I am here. For me, the PU offers the most game playtime and the reason I am here. Of course, I am going to be sad if the SQ42 delay has knock-on effects for when the capital ships are introduced to the PU and I cannot forget how much I am looking forward to owning a F8 Lightning.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Were still in ALPHA... you think SQ42 is around the corner (6 months a year is a drop in the hat by CIG 8 year experiment)... by this rate, at least 5-6 years, if it ever exists anyway. I don't regret my investment YET... but I think these people are smoking crack when they think SQ42 can be released in 2021... for goodness sake, we just figured out how to throw a grenade.
I'm getting very mixed signals from you.

My point is if SQ42 isn't going to happen by Q4 2021 either CIG deliberatly lied to us in bad faith or they are incompetent of communicating any realistic goal. And honestly i see no excuses anymore.
icashe has never been communicated (as far as i'm aware) needed for SQ42
Volumetric clouds i was told it works in SQ42 and they are working on implementing it into the PU

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
My point is if SQ42 isn't going to happen by Q4 2021 either CIG deliberatly lied to us in bad faith or they are incompetent of communicating any realistic goal.
I am sorry... I am celebrating St. Montoya day and may be a little drunk.

That said, I think they over promised (desperate people and video game developers do that). Engineering is not that simple... sometimes things finish ahead of schedule that are well planed... resources defined, and efficient. Then there are people like CR who promised the world, remains steadfast to his quality, and probably misspoke. That said, things change, technology changes, technology delivery changes, the smaller the project the better the delivery estimate is... the further the project is projected, the worse the delivery estimate is and this depends on the expertise of the leadership and engineering team. If a bridge was said to be built in 6 months... believe me, they would understand how much steel is available, what the human resources look like, and the regulations that may hinder them. We as engineers take a oath to deliver on projects that do not hurt anyone. Salesman, movie stars are not bound by our professional expertise, and therefore they can say what ever they want. Namely, CR.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm getting very mixed signals from you.

My point is if SQ42 isn't going to happen by Q4 2021 either CIG deliberatly lied to us in bad faith or they are incompetent of communicating any realistic goal. And honestly i see no excuses anymore.
icashe has never been communicated (as far as i'm aware) needed for SQ42
Volumetric clouds i was told it works in SQ42 and they are working on implementing it into the PU

All of iCashe is not needed for SQ42 but it has many hooks into physicalized inventory and the placement of items within the game world. Given its a single-player game it's not going to have the same database backend to store all of the players placed items but it will have all of the client-side calls to store and retrieve them.

We have been told multiple times Volumetric clouds works then they come back and say well it was working ok but then we wanted this enhancement for the edges and most recently it was how shadows and lights propagate through it which was shown off in Cooking with gas.
View: https://youtu.be/1H0pFArZjE8

But it does make one wonder what happened after the 1 hour vertical slice was released back in December of 2017

View: https://youtu.be/BHR1aEdTA4M

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

I've never seen Montoya and Garry Oldman in the same room before! Montoya is Garry Oldman!

I've never seen him in the same room as Gillian Anderson either! Montoya is Gillian Anderson too!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?