Video: Yes, you can keep that ship you stole. Maybe.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
It's all well and good to say if you put the ship inside something, it won't despawn, but most people wont have any ships that you can put, say, a cutlass in for quite a while (assuming they start the game with just an aurora, of course.) If they let us store the ships in landing pads (in like GH and the like), that's fine. Now, disco implied that that's still a possibility, but Will has said in a couple places that you wont ever be able to do that. That's the part that has me the most irritated.

And, can i just say here, holy shit does @Krystal LeChuck have a good point. What happens when you log off on a stolen ship? They've strongly implied that they want you to be logging off on your ship at least half of the time you do so, and how are they going to handle that?

Also, first!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
re: the Ebay idea

all persistent objects in the game are, at their most basic level, collections of information stored in a database

it would be the simplest thing in the world to add a 'stolen true/false' attribute to objects

all ship ownership transfer operations could check this attribute

if set to 'true,' the transfer could be disallowed

you could make a ship uninsurable the same way

CIG should really hire me as a database developer

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So... If i manage to relieve a ship from a Greifer/Pirate/general all round nasty guy, I still may be able to retain it and name it the "Golden Buttnugget"?

I mean, stealing from a criminal isn't exactly legal but its a damn sight more moral than just stealing off whoever especially when its justified in the case that they were in an attempt to steal off me.

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
This getting deeper.
Can you steal a stolen ship and get a 2nd fake faker ID spoof spoofer?
that depends

will it encourage or discourage RMT activity around stolen ships?

whatever policies CIG puts in place, expect them to change, to account for unintended consequences

never understimate players' ability to game the system

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
never understimate players' ability to game the system
Its also near impossible to put enough game logic in place to prevent players from finding new creative ways to break it. My all time favorite total game break was Eve Online and the jettison cargo and how it allowed players to significantly modify the pacing of the game due to the increase mining rate.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Its also near impossible to put enough game logic in place to prevent players from finding new creative ways to break it. My all time favorite total game break was Eve Online and the jettison cargo and how it allowed players to significantly modify the pacing of the game due to the increase mining rate.
What?

How did that work?

Reactions: Ammorn

Mazawrath

Captain
Feb 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mazawrath
Make stolen ships non-transferable, non-insurable and only one fake ID allowed to be assigned per stolen ship and only one fake ID stolen ship allowed per character at a time.

All the problems solved.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The original game design was that battleships would be something that would take the player population more then 6 months for some of the larger organization to achieve. They had scaled everything around miners filling their cargo and then flying back to a local station to either sell or stock pile to then haul to a more suitable market. Jettison cans game element was a means to hold items from a blown up ship that was modified to allow pirates to request their targets cargo with out having to blow up the ship first. It was unforeseen that players would then be able to take the small starter ships and jettison the mined ore for a hauler to take back to the station which significantly speed up the mining process. In Eve's Beta it wasn't really used as most people stayed mostly on the expected paths but once the game launch with in a month battleships were prevalent and easily replaced. While prior game developers would typically roll back the servers and remove the ability until they figured out how to prevent the exploit CCP instead worked on re balancing their game around the new mining rate with the introduction of tier 2 items.

Either way its an interesting case study and goes to show how fast players test the boundaries and how quickly word spreads of loopholes.

Found a link to PC Games article talking about one of the dev staff.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/moment-ccps-cto-realised-his-own-corp-had-broken-eve-online-better?amp

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
What?

How did that work?
less time lost to hauling ore back to station

mine 4 cargo containers' worth, haul with Orca

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Well I like it.

I want there to be limitations like you'd get in real life stolen cars. You can't register it, insure it and if the cops come sniffing you'll get busted.

So it makes sense that I'd it blows up then it's gone, however what kind of "resource" can we get from stolen ships, surely the components can be taken off and sold at a pirate shop and maybe purposefully blow it up and reclaim the scrap it makes.

What I mean is can stolen ships be properly controlled and an economy made from them, would be amazing having a rep as "The Shipshaper" or "That pirate stolen ship guy".

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
The original game design was that battleships would be something that would take the player population more then 6 months for some of the larger organization to achieve. They had scaled everything around miners filling their cargo and then flying back to a local station to either sell or stock pile to then haul to a more suitable market. Jettison cans game element was a means to hold items from a blown up ship that was modified to allow pirates to request their targets cargo with out having to blow up the ship first. It was unforeseen that players would then be able to take the small starter ships and jettison the mined ore for a hauler to take back to the station which significantly speed up the mining process. In Eve's Beta it wasn't really used as most people stayed mostly on the expected paths but once the game launch with in a month battleships were prevalent and easily replaced. While prior game developers would typically roll back the servers and remove the ability until they figured out how to prevent the exploit CCP instead worked on re balancing their game around the new mining rate with the introduction of tier 2 items.

Either way its an interesting case study and goes to show how fast players test the boundaries and how quickly word spreads of loopholes.

Found a link to PC Games article talking about one of the dev staff.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/moment-ccps-cto-realised-his-own-corp-had-broken-eve-online-better?amp
or the time they exploited the faction war system where you get more reward points based on the cost of the enemies ship and cargo.. so they bought out all of one type of item in like 8 star systems and replaced it at an insane cost on the market causing their kills to be worth billions instead of millions

While I admire the ingenuity, anyone who actively breaks star citizen like that should be banned. We all have put way too much money and energy into this to play around exploiters

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
or the time they exploited the faction war system where you get more reward points based on the cost of the enemies ship and cargo.. so they bought out all of one type of item in like 8 star systems and replaced it at an insane cost on the market causing their kills to be worth billions instead of millions

While I admire the ingenuity, anyone who actively breaks star citizen like that should be banned. We all have put way too much money and energy into this to play around exploiters

I completely forgot about this, but another great example of gamers finding ways to break rules.

Forgot your password?