Warhammer 40k

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
The Loyalists have had a bit of a draw for me. I started with Eldar and started acquiring Death Guard, but I'm trying to convince myself not to start Imperium. I picked up the Dark Imperium box and those Primaris are calling my name. Thinking of converting them to Chaos.

I originally wanted a Grey Knights and Blood Angels tag team army, which you can still do in 8th, but I'm going to hold off on that. Maybe start them in 9th when I have more disposable income again.

Although I just ebayed some parts for Mortarion. Thought they'd allow me a cheap way to get him, but ended up $80 anyways. I have all parts except the Arms and his Chains/Base/Nurglings. I can do the base myself and probably hang real chains from him, but I need those arms.

You happen to live in the LA area? I just moved to Corona and am slowly building/painting my stuff. Had a few small games with a group I found. And we're doing an Escalation League. So that's given me some motivation. Have my first 250 done. Necrosius and 5 Plague Marines. I kitbashed Nec from a Sister of Battle and the new Malignant Plaguecaster.
View attachment 8148

I have TT Simulator, but never played it. And hear 40k is a bitch to do on it. I might check it out though.
Portland, but thanks for the invite anyway. Have some family around Ventura, but I rarely ever get down to CA.

Is an Escalation League where you start smaller points and increase for rematches? This is the kind of stuff I'm really unfamiliar with. Maybe I will try to catch up to you for a hypothetical match, Grimli? Set myself a first goal at building 250 points.

I need to learn the point system too. Halfway through 8th Edition rulebook and it's been all art and lore, not even mentioning points yet. Great art and lore though! Also got the Space Marine Codex and Index Imperium 1 & 2, but haven't cracked those open yet. Might get the Chaos and Xenos Indexes too, just to get an idea of how they work and maybe to build something completely different eventually.
Have 2 Assault Squads to put together that just arrived yesterday. Need to see what I can cannibalize from my tools and what I still need to get. If 14-year-old me saw how I was spending money today...

BTemplars01.jpg

I was considering Black Templars. Lore and art wise, they're kind of what pops into my head when I think of Space Marines. But they've got a lot of backstory I'd need to get caught up on. And, I know it's the grim darkness and all, but they are kind of... humorless.

spacesharkchomp.jpg

Now, I think I'm leaning more towards the Space Sharks. Maybe they're a little too obscure. Dat color scheme tho...
SpaceSharks01.jpg

Pretty simple, I know, but I might need to cut my teeth on something simple. Simple is also kind of like a blank slate, allows for some interesting ideas about putting stuff together.
P1010037.JPG

(Not my work. My stuff is still in the box it came in!)

What do you think, Grimli? Got some stuff from Amazon and some direct from Games Workshop, and looking at stuff on Forgeworld. Is ebay a good source for stuff? Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Also got the Space Marine Codex and Index Imperium 1 & 2, but haven't cracked those open yet. Might get the Chaos and Xenos Indexes too
I would recommend not getting too much too fast. The Indexes are for armies which don't have a Codex yet, so you probably didn't need the Imperium one, but no harm in it. Definitely don't buy a 2k army and have most of it sit on a shelf, or worse, have the whole thing spread out on a table in varying states of assembly.

Now, I think I'm leaning more towards the Space Sharks. Maybe they're a little too obscure. Dat color scheme tho...
Those look pretty awesome! Easy color too do as well. You could get away with priming white and washing with Nuln Oil, then drybrushing white and be done! I have a fairly simple scheme as well.
20171125_160656.jpg

I'll write up some tools you should get later. They're HUGE money savers. Way better than GW stuff too. Can't believe I spent so much on Lahmian Medium when I can make my own for $1 a gallon!

Reactions: Beerjerker

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I'll write up some tools you should get later.
Thanks! That's probably what I need to know next. Maybe find some youtube videos on the painting techniques you mentioned too.

I would recommend not getting too much too fast.
Cash-back-rewards.gif

Yeah, I already caught myself tempted by a big army pack. Might've been a good deal, but still being unsure, I decided to wait. I don't think I'll buy more actual miniatures until I have a plan more laid out. Perhaps begin with a point limited army (once I have a better understanding of the point system), and meeting its requirements first. Most of what I'm yammering on about should still be taken as theorycrafting really.

Here's another chapter I'm considering: Skull Bearers:
SkullBearers03.jpg

TEST colors! Woot!
I get the impression they're even more obscure though. Not sure I want to get myself all attached to an army that has very little connection to the bigger storyline of 40k. It was all the lore that got me interested in the first place, after all. Some kewl looking possibilities though...
SkullBearers02.jpg

(Again, not my work. Feel I should keep adding these disclaimers so no one stumbles across this thread one day and gives old Beerjerker props for being some talent at miniatures. Kind of like cheating off the smart kid's homework, lol.)

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Yeah, I already caught myself tempted by a big army pack.
Those packs are a good deal sometimes. Like a free unit good. I bought two Dark Imperium and traded one set of Primaris away for a third set of Death Guard! Was $320 and I got two rulebook, 3 drones, 60 Walkers, 21 Marines, and 3 of each special character. Plus I still have the other Primaris set which I can convert to an caseload of Terminators and the other special characters for DG.

TEST colors! Woot!
I will strongly advise against this. Yellow is a bitch and a half to do right.

Not sure I want to get myself all attached to an army that has very little connection to the bigger storyline of 40k.
What a lot of people do is paint their own scheme and call it a Successor Chapter to a main one. That way you have your own personal touch and can keep the fluff of the main army. Mine is a Vectorum of the Death Guard I call "The Frozen Hand"

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
View attachment 8181

These are some of the unknown pitfalls I need to avoid. Thanks! What about yellow makes it so difficult?
Something to do with the pigment that makes the undercoat show through a lot. It's difficult to balance coverage with smoothness of the paint.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
White isbalso a pain in the ass to paint, but there's a trick to it. The trick might work on yellow, but I'd need to experiment, so let me know if you're set on yellow and I'll do a vid or something.

I'm trying to start doing videos for 40k, mostly it'll be tips and tricks for painting, lobbying, or random stuff. But I'd like to do some Batreps. I suck at doing it so far, but the only way to get better is to keep at it.

Gauna

Graphic Goddess
Officer
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gauna
I used to play as Tau. Really miss having a modeling hobby. I forgot how much fun it was to put them together and paint them, let alone play the damned table top game. I do read a lot of the black library novels though, Dan Abnett is one of my favorite authors.
Glad that I am not alone, still kept my painted Tau army and my Commander Shadowsun~♥
It's been long years since I quit giving my money to Game Workshop and quit collecting "White Dwarf" monthly magazines and Codex books. *sigh*
By the way...

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
White isbalso a pain in the ass to paint, but there's a trick to it. The trick might work on yellow, but I'd need to experiment, so let me know if you're set on yellow and I'll do a vid or something.

I'm trying to start doing videos for 40k, mostly it'll be tips and tricks for painting, lobbying, or random stuff. But I'd like to do some Batreps. I suck at doing it so far, but the only way to get better is to keep at it.
I'm not dead set on anything yet, but be sure to link your videos when you make them! Ibalso, Batreps, I have no clue what you're talking about, but I'm interested to learn. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty much jumping in from scratch. Had some Space Wolves partially started, none finished, lost in a move, attempts at actual games I could count on one hand, and all of that, about 20 years ago. I'm going back to 40k kindergarten.

I'll probably just kit together a basic squad and then paint later, giving me time to mull over chapters, their colors and such. I'm not in any rush, just kind of hyped right now from reading the books.

Not to mention, 3.0 might go live any day now... Depending on the frame rates I get, that might divert some of my hobby time.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Batreps, I have no clue what you're talking about
It's just short for Battle Report. Where they film a game and usually do commentary and banter. My favorite is Miniwargaming.com, but they tend to get a lot of rules wrong.

I'll probably just kit together a basic squad and then paint later, giving me time to mull over chapters
That's the way to do it. Most people shouldn't care if you play with an unpainted army, but there are dicks.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Hey @Grimbli ! More brainstorming I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on.
These are some of the new (new to me anyway) chapters and color schemes I was considering. I want to work in an homage to TEST colors, but don't want to go all yellow like the Fisties. And the more I wander through forum discussions, the more I'm hearing about how yellow is difficult to work with.
Tell me what you think!

Mortificators
Mortifactors_3.png
Obscure enough that I can wing it on a few things, but still mostly Codex compliant (which I still want somewhat, at least for a Space Marine army). Morbid backstory, from feral world of cannibals. Name is kind of meh. Off white bone color sometimes clashes (to my eye anyway) with the yellow, but I may have to see what it's like IRL to know for sure.

But then, I stumbled across this:
Yellow Jackets
YellowJackets01_Marine.jpg
TEST Space Marine, BEST Space Marine! Leaning heavily towards this color scheme now. Love the gold on black, love the name. Way more obscure 2nd Founding chapter, very little backstory as far as I've found, but unique enough look that it doesn't just seem generic. Might have issues with free-handing the pauldron logo, but I thought you'd appreciate it. Space Bees!

Still waiting some ordered brushes and a Tactical Squad to arrive, and still not sure what paints to get. Heard good things about Vallejo brand, but if you have suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Think I will try out themes on some basic Space Marine models, before having a go at more complex Sergeant or Captain models.

Reactions: Printimus

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Mortificators
These are kinda cool. It would t be too hard to paint since the yellow is pretty dull. As a successor to the Ultramarines you'll have some pretty awesome stuff at your disposal. Could even bring Girlyman if you wanted.

Way more obscure 2nd Founding chapter, very little backstory as far as I've found
The 2nd Legion is a placeholder Legion for people to make their own rules. No lore about them exists because their Primarch was never found, same as the 11th. You could use them if you like, but you'll need to pick another army to use their rules as it's not a supported army.

I like the color scheme of the second though! But Yellow Jackets aren't bees, unfortunately...

Frad in'Ryth

Vice Admiral
May 25, 2017
RSI Handle
FradinRyth
I've started painting some Death Guard for the new Kill Team. This one isn't quiet finished but the general color scheme is laid down.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I've started painting some Death Guard for the new Kill Team. This one isn't quiet finished but the general color scheme is laid down.
No image there.

Forgot your password?