Warhammer 40k

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
When I lived on the west coast of Canada, the scene was pretty competitive. We'd go down to our local Games Workshop, but the atmosphere there wasn't very welcoming to young, newcomers like myself. Guys would openly refuse to play against unpainted mini's, and there were a few regulars who consistently made fun of others paint jobs. Granted I was about twelve at the time, but it made for a bad game environment. Just pushed us to start playing at a friends place though!

Everywhere else I've played, most people are pretty good. Some of my favourite games have involved playing on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a buddy's basement, with many, many, beers to be had!

That also seems to be when new rules get added, and regular space marines outlive the named guys. Puzzling.
Well I'm 34 now so if someone wants to make fun of my unpainted guys or any paint job I do I'll just tell them to fuck off. But I can see how that'd suck as a kid, the whole hobby doesn't really lend well to new people coming in. Why alienate the people who do?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I went out to my first game at the GW store. Everyone was very nice and the guy I played was there to just paint, but he agreed to a 500 game, which was nice of him. He was pretty cool with letting things slide and showing me the rules.

I had my guardian squads with Starcannons and Warlocks, an Autarch, and two War Walkers.

He brought Chaos Marines with a Lord in a Rhino as well as a Maulerfiend (thing was a bitch with only str 6 weapons.

First turn he destroyed my Walker and stunned the second. I blew up his Rhino and killed a guy inside then shot a few more off.

Second turn he finished my Walkers and killed a few Guardians. I killed the rest of his troops and wounded his Lord. Stupidly I charged his Lord thinking two wounds would die to 8 guys and an Autarch, but I had no ap3 and it went horribly.

The rest of the game was me slowly dying to his Lord and the Maulerfiend shooting at my other guardian squad. Luckily they ran to cover and had a Warlock with Conceal. He also kept burning himself on plasma shots (stupid inferior races!), but unfortunately saved all the wounds with daemon saves.

I managed to off his Warlord and ran for Line Breaker, which combined with Warlord kill and first blood made me the winner.

I was insanely happy when I took down that Warlord. I was left with my Autarch and 3 guys out of 10 plus Warlock!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I used to play as Tau. Really miss having a modeling hobby. I forgot how much fun it was to put them together and paint them, let alone play the damned table top game. I do read a lot of the black library novels though, Dan Abnett is one of my favorite authors.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I used to play as Tau. Really miss having a modeling hobby. I forgot how much fun it was to put them together and paint them, let alone play the damned table top game. I do read a lot of the black library novels though, Dan Abnett is one of my favorite authors.
I get frustrated putting together too many of the same type of models at a time. Probably because I'm not the fastest at it and always mix and match the pieces cause I don't read the instructions, but I'm getting better. Might pick up a horde army at some point. But I still have TONS of guys to put together for my current army. AND they just released those "Start Collecting" boxes, so I have a few new ones I want to buy for Eldar before I move on.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Aw damn, I saw a WH40K Tabletop thread and thought you meant one of the pen-and-paper RPGs like Rogue Trader. Now I'm sad.

Reactions: Beerjerker

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
That would be pretty awesome, a D20 WH40k game.
You... do know there are a whole bunch of tabletop Warhammer 40K dice-roller RPGs, right? There's Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War... look into Fantasy Flight Games.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That's a great looking set there!
If you'd like some inspiration for painting WH40K, check out Darien Vorlick's Twitter @Devourlick, he has some really good pieces!

I love the universe and the style, and even bought a small set of space marines, but I never got into playing the real tabletop version. I've read some books (I think) and spent a lot of time on the PC games though, I still fire up the good ol 40k Space Marine sometimes, becos it can be pretty relaxing to chew up some orcs with the chainsword :D I was also hoping the MMO would come out one day...

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Wish I could get back into table top games, but unfortunately the military has me working the midnight shift and that forces my social life to not exist. Sleep during the day, work during the night. I would definitely be into some D20 if I could.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
You... do know there are a whole bunch of tabletop Warhammer 40K dice-roller RPGs, right? There's Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War... look into Fantasy Flight Games.
Sadly many of them are unused and noone plays them. I do miss my deathwatch character from when i was a teen.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
I love Rogue Trader. It felt like Star Trek set in the WH40K universe.

You play as the bridge crew of a massive merchant vessel empowered by a Writ of Trade - a document from back when the Emperor still walked among men. It grants your ship and all of its crew unrestricted access to space, even those zones of space that would normally be considered too xeno or too heretical for the unwashed masses to ever see. As a result you have something very few in the Imperium will ever experience: true freedom.

As important crew of a Rogue Trader vessel, you are de facto members of the wealthiest noble houses. Your quests and missions deal in wealth so vast that it becomes almost meaningless; rather than buy things in the traditional sense you simply "Roll for Acquisition" against your massive coffers to see if the acquisition even puts a noticeable dent in them. You control a massive vessel, oftentimes a repurposed cruiser or frigate, which means space battles are both inevitable and epic.

Much like Star Trek, most of the game is played out on the verges of known space - out in the Coriolis Expanse, past the Maw, or in other far-flung reaches where the light of the Astronomican barely reaches. You will go adventuring through ancient ruins, negotiate with horrible xenos, and bring back untold wealth and information to the Imperium - while constantly toeing the fine line between heresy, corruption, and all that holds Mankind together against the Warp.

I still run Rogue Trader games for my old college buddies. It's one of my most-requested systems.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Rise... Rise, Necro Post!
images.duckduckgo.com9.jpg

(Not a model of mine, just a kewl picture of one I found.)

Around 20 years ago, I lost touch with 40k. The horrors of the warp (cheap beer and pretty women) consumed me. I've only superficially followed what's been going on in the Imperium, reading a book here and there, playing a video game or two.
But, while waiting around for 3.0, I heard about the 8th edition releasing. I ordered it and some miniatures. Thought I'd see how the hobby would take now that I have the temptations of Chaos a little more under control.
Always had a soft spot for Assault Marines, chainsword wielding Boba Fetts on steroids.
images.duckduckgo.com7.jpg

(Again, not my miniatures.)

Old thread, I know, but I'd love to here how anyone's armies have progressed. Maybe pick your brain on how I should put together my new one. Had some Space Puppies ages ago, lost in some move, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

(EDIT: Also, anyone interested in 40k mod for Tabletop Simulator? https://testsquadron.com/threads/warhammer-40k-tabletop-simulator.10062/)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
20170921_164429.jpg

This one is my model!

I've been falling into it more and more. Actually started painting and got me some Death Guard for 8th.

Overall I enjoy 8th more than 7th. A few things I wish stuck around, a LOT of things I'm glad are gone. It's much more streamlined and can do a 2k game in a few hours, instead of 5-8.

I even dragged my fiance into it for an Escalation League with some local people we know! She's currently painting my Eldar for me. (That's not why I brought her in, nope, not at all!)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Trying to pick out which army to build, maybe which army to build first... but that might be getting ahead of myself. I want to start with a Loyalist chapter, to kind of re-introduce myself to the game. I've been crash coursing chapter lore via youtube videos, but I haven't made up my mind yet. So many to choose from.

Slowly narrowing it down by which I don't want to play. I don't want to do Space Wolves again. Still love the mutts, but I want something new and something at least a little bit closer to Codex. At the same time, I don't want to go as vanilla as Ultrasmurfs. Also don't want to build up an army that's so popular that whatever I put together is already saturated. Still, I don't really want to just invent my own chapter from scratch, because it's the lore that I remember enjoying so much when I was a youngster. Kind of negates some of that if I just make it up as I go.

Almost tempted to go with Deathwatch so I can have units from several chapters, but I need to learn more about how they work. The more I read up on them, they sound like they have rules all their own and are maybe just too OP for my tastes. Still cool though, so I'm considering putting together a squad of them, because Inquisition "reasons" mean they can just attach to any army.

Decisions... decisions... Haven't even taken into account all this new Primaris business. Super-Duper Marines? Personally reserving judgement for now, but I don't have any nostalgia draw to them, that's for sure.

Maybe I'll just resort to Angry Marines. It's an old meme, but I've never been one to not chuckle at a lame joke.
AngryMarine02.jpg

(Again, not my model, just funny to me.)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I want to start with a Loyalist chapter, to kind of re-introduce myself to the game.
The Loyalists have had a bit of a draw for me. I started with Eldar and started acquiring Death Guard, but I'm trying to convince myself not to start Imperium. I picked up the Dark Imperium box and those Primaris are calling my name. Thinking of converting them to Chaos.

I originally wanted a Grey Knights and Blood Angels tag team army, which you can still do in 8th, but I'm going to hold off on that. Maybe start them in 9th when I have more disposable income again.

Although I just ebayed some parts for Mortarion. Thought they'd allow me a cheap way to get him, but ended up $80 anyways. I have all parts except the Arms and his Chains/Base/Nurglings. I can do the base myself and probably hang real chains from him, but I need those arms.

You happen to live in the LA area? I just moved to Corona and am slowly building/painting my stuff. Had a few small games with a group I found. And we're doing an Escalation League. So that's given me some motivation. Have my first 250 done. Necrosius and 5 Plague Marines. I kitbashed Nec from a Sister of Battle and the new Malignant Plaguecaster.
FB_IMG_1511057611043.jpg

I have TT Simulator, but never played it. And hear 40k is a bitch to do on it. I might check it out though.

Forgot your password?