Weekly Test RPG Sessions

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
If needing to buy TableSim is all that is keeping you from using it, then I'll buy it for you should our evening of choice be good for me XD

Would also love to try me some Arkham/GURPS, or get back into Dark Heresy. I knew I joined TEST for a reason :)

After some experience as a player I would also be hoping to GM a Rogue Trader campaign, that has been my favorite ruleset so far. Not grimdark to the point where you better have 2 character sheets ready at all times, but still retaining all the glorious atmosphere of 40K.
GURPS is a close second, because you can literally make it do anything

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Lieutenant
May 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ThatMoochy121
If needing to buy TableSim is all that is keeping you from using it, then I'll buy it for you should our evening of choice be good for me XD

Would also love to try me some Arkham/GURPS, or get back into Dark Heresy. I knew I joined TEST for a reason :)

After some experience as a player I would also be hoping to GM a Rogue Trader campaign, that has been my favorite ruleset so far. Not grimdark to the point where you better have 2 character sheets ready at all times, but still retaining all the glorious atmosphere of 40K.
GURPS is a close second, because you can literally make it do anything
wow very kind of you, and well it would be i reckon mid week either weds or Thursday depends on my shift pattern, i live in the UK so on my last day off each week i pull an all nighter so time zone isn't a massive issue. I think gurps should be saved for a later time a few of the people playing will be new to roleplaying.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
Oh yeah GURPS can be done, they have several n00b guides, but it's great depth is best for the experienced. DnD seems like a great place to start/actually get somewhere in a campaign.

Wednesday would be perfect with that being my 'totally open' night. Still have work in morning, but i'd be up till at least 10pm EST.
Thursdays probably also workable, just have to make some calls

Mooch

Lieutenant
May 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ThatMoochy121
should be fun :D hopefully it's a smashing crowd. I've heard some pretty intense things about gurps especially about magic users, this was from a friend, his whole team dying defending him as he struggled to cast a fire spell and then in the end he blew himself up.

Alyid

Captain
Feb 4, 2014
Looking forward to this; I'll be looking at the resources that you posted sometime tomorrow, I think.

This is shizuo92 from Reddit, btw.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I don't particularly understand the base magic system :/
Say you've got 15 Fatigue Points (FP), that is whats spent to fuel magic and extra effort with melee and the like.
You choose to cast a fireball, you succeed. If you are really highly skilled the ensuing cost goes down, but lets assume you are pretty new and can usually succeed without undue risk yet not good enough to receive an innate easy cast.
That fireball deals 1d of damage per FP you channel into it. So a 3d fireball, which will injure someone but almost assuredly not kill them (being on fire might though). This only takes 2 turns to cast, which isn't bad, and has a pretty good chance of success. Overall not bad.

Except you can only do that 5 times before fainting, wait what. A knight can swing a sword for slightly less damage, and he can do it "forever". Archers pretty similar, longer range balanced by consuming ammo/slower attack speed. As the attacked You can dodge all 3, and parry the 2 physical attacks, so not much difference to you.
But the mage can only cast 5 times before needing a few minutes (combat turns are in seconds btw) to recover energy? Sure its useful out of combat, on long hikes you will be ready to go in 3 what takes the rest of party 15 mins but combat seems so much less useful.

/rant?
Might not have been terribly intelligible, it's late. I'll sleep now, maybe by the time I return someone will be able to explain this to me?
Regardless there are alternative systems for magic cost in other GURPS books, Main just seems silly.
night all o7

Mooch

Lieutenant
May 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ThatMoochy121
I don't particularly understand the base magic system :/
Say you've got 15 Fatigue Points (FP), that is whats spent to fuel magic and extra effort with melee and the like.
You choose to cast a fireball, you succeed. If you are really highly skilled the ensuing cost goes down, but lets assume you are pretty new and can usually succeed without undue risk yet not good enough to receive an innate easy cast.
That fireball deals 1d of damage per FP you channel into it. So a 3d fireball, which will injure someone but almost assuredly not kill them (being on fire might though). This only takes 2 turns to cast, which isn't bad, and has a pretty good chance of success. Overall not bad.

Except you can only do that 5 times before fainting, wait what. A knight can swing a sword for slightly less damage, and he can do it "forever". Archers pretty similar, longer range balanced by consuming ammo/slower attack speed. As the attacked You can dodge all 3, and parry the 2 physical attacks, so not much difference to you.
But the mage can only cast 5 times before needing a few minutes (combat turns are in seconds btw) to recover energy? Sure its useful out of combat, on long hikes you will be ready to go in 3 what takes the rest of party 15 mins but combat seems so much less useful.

/rant?
Might not have been terribly intelligible, it's late. I'll sleep now, maybe by the time I return someone will be able to explain this to me?
Regardless there are alternative systems for magic cost in other GURPS books, Main just seems silly.
night all o7
Night chief enjoy sleep 2 hours of work left so yayyy.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
So is this all filled up? If it's not full I'm ready to play (not with 12 PC's mind you, I prefer smaller 4/5 man games) but if it is full there seem to be a lot of people wanting in, so I'm willing to DM a game and was thinking about it recently running 5th edition. I've been running 3rd edition, 3.5, Pathfinder for 12 years at least and also ran some games at conventions. I'm an experienced DM :) I also have used Roll20 as a player and loved it, had an ongoing campaign for several months. I need to learn how to use the DM tools and set up a game but I'm sure that won't be too hard.

Reactions: Ryan2534

Ryan2534

Vice Admiral
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
MontoyasNipples
Cool, I'll try and join the mumble.
Yeahhhhh come join. It's the best

By the Way everyone who is making a character download a PDF edit it and upload it in this shared folder so we can all see each others characters and plan so we don't jump into the game with multiple of the same class. We can comment on each others character sheets and ask questions and help each other out when needed.

Character Sheets: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6exPn0Foui5fkJ5aUFnVW5CbFROalU0YlpVVXlJVnY0Ti13dmMtRGwwMmtvWTdZWHh1SXc&usp=sharing

Last edited:

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I'm not sure I'd be able to attend every session because the next semester is starting for me soon and I've been pretty busy getting my apartment ready. How many people have committed so far?

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
I'm pretty sure we have 4 maybe 5 for the inexperienced players including the DM, Mooch so far. If you think you can put in the hours, let us know what might work for you.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I'll see if I can fit it in. Most of my problem is getting moved into my apartment. After that I should be okay. Is there a day and time that has been agreed on?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
If you end up needing any more players, I have a tiny amount of experience with 5th edition. I also would be more than happy to provide some books for it.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Not yet I don't think. We're thinking 2 weeks out? Were working on character creation now. Since most of our group have not done this before, we're reading up. Do you have the materials(player handbook and character sheet)? Have you ever created a character before? We might do another session in mumble to iron our profiles.

Forgot your password?