What are your thoughts on this whole prison gameplay loop?

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I sincerely hope you are wrong. From early on the game design elements have been showing up to mitigate or moderate that segment of the population who think causing pain is the highest possible calling. Tony Z has touched on the subject repeatedly.

IF the system works to separate those from everyone else for a period of time, that would be a perfect result for a game. If prison gameplay becomes so incredibly boring for those personalities that they change behavior, or seek greener pastures, it's still a win. If it traps them into murdering each other for a while, that's a win, and will allow the 'long term costs' to be felt sooner than for the rest of us.

Creative players will be able to use prison mechanics to accomplish a lot of previously unavailable gameplay, and it's clear that is one of the intents. But for a certain segment it's going to feel like Hell.
This!!! With all the freedom they will give players, that these other MMOs do not have, prison and law systems are an absolute necessity. I am absolutely fascinated by this game due to these freedoms. If I am going to do criminal activity, which I may dabble in smuggling and some other shady activities, I am actually excited that there is a law system and prison. That makes the "criminal" activities actually criminal, and gives intense excitement not to get caught, kind of what I imagine criminal activities may be IRL for some people. If that does not make criminal play style more exciting and appealing to those players due to having to ACTUALLY smuggle with risk of getting caught or pirating, slaving, etc.. then I feel like it would be boring, and if not boring for these people it makes grieving and being an all around jerk way too easy which will negatively affect everyone else.

Criminal activity will most likely be high reward for those players that choose it, and whats that saying? "The bigger the risk the greater the reward."

Last edited:

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Just don't get caught. Hang out at Grim Hex, stay out of the jurisdiction they have warrants on you (there are four alone in Stanton) and if you have to go through those areas just stomp the accelerator, smash through, do doughnuts for years and make sure your ammo is stocked up and as long as they can't disable your ship you 'aint going to Naughty Town.

Or, 'y know, don't be a criminal.
Just like IRL!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As a hopeful UEE Ambassador to the Banu & enthusiast of trade negotiations between Humans & the Banu, I plan on using my position to help make the UEE great by purchasing goods recovered by "law abiding" citizens within TEST to trade with the Banu for items that those citizens might need but not be able to have access to themselves otherwise. Thus we ALL profit & benefit. I choose to assume that these citizens that I purchase items from will be obtaining them by legal means, but there won't be any documentation for those items found from discovered wreckage sites. *winks playfully*

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Slightly off topic, but they've mentioned that ships and components might not be covered by insurance while in Vanduul space.

I sure as hell am not risking my LTI ships or expensive components going there for reasons and will stick to stolen ships and upgraded stolen components to venture into their territory.

You come through my backyard to head out to the fringe or shortcut for trading and I'm taking your shit to go have fun!

I'll deal with prison afterwards, might be a nice relaxing few hours of gameplay after all that.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Slightly off topic, but they've mentioned that ships and components might not be covered by insurance while in Vanduul space.

I sure as hell am not risking my LTI ships or expensive components going there for reasons and will stick to stolen ships and upgraded stolen components to venture into their territory.

You come through my backyard to head out to the fringe or shortcut for trading and I'm taking your shit to go have fun!

I'll deal with prison afterwards, might be a nice relaxing few hours of gameplay after all that.
In that case, I suggest having friends with Crucibles that can hopefully repair Vanduul ships that we disable & then kill their pilots, for us to use to infiltrate Vanduul space to hunt them down. Since the Vanduul are supposedly tribalistic, we should use the indicators of the rival tribes to attack each other, then sit back, enjoy some popcorn & watch the symphony of destruction.

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
CIG also stated multiple times that you wont loose anything permanently that you bought with real money, that would be insane!
I think it will become a bit more complicated then just clicking claim at the ship retrival terminal to get destroyed real money ships with no insurance back but you will get them back somehow.
Don't know how they plan that mechanic, maybe you have to get it directly at the manufacturer...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
They stated during the Origin 300 series relaunch with the ship customizer feature that only the upgrades that are listed as coming with your cash purchased ships will be covered under the LTI & those parts can only by changed by upgrading them through the ship's manufacturer. Eventually, when you purchase ships in game, you'll be able to customize them in game from the manufacturer with those modifications being considered as part of the ship's base equipment in regards of insurance claiming. That you will also be able to get ships customized at non-manufacturer locations, but those modifications will not be covered under the insurance & neither will the components that weren't installed by the manufacturer.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede

Where did you get this information from? I just want to take a look and read more about that as I was under the impression that only upgrades and cargo could not be insured in risk level 5 systems (probably Vanduul systems). I have not seen anything about actual ships not having insurance in specific locations.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Where did you get this information from? I just want to take a look and read more about that as I was under the impression that only upgrades and cargo could not be insured in risk level 5 systems (probably Vanduul systems). I have not seen anything about actual ships not having insurance in specific locations.
It's some seriously old info. Not sure I could find it easily. May have changed since. Think it was said sometime in 2016, probably in a Reverse the Verse random comment from Ben.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
It's some seriously old info. Not sure I could find it easily. May have changed since. Think it was said sometime in 2016, probably in a Reverse the Verse random comment from Ben.
Right on! I will do some digging and see what I can find. That may change a few things on some ships I get as I was on the fence between a couple. Thanks!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Right on! I will do some digging and see what I can find. That may change a few things on some ships I get as I was on the fence between a couple. Thanks!
Definitely, I'll try to look when I get home. But please prove me wrong because I'd love to take my own ships out into Vanduul space. I doubt I can steal someone's Endeavor with the loadout I want to explore it.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Jails have been pitched by the community in nearly any MMO development I have followed. I've never thought it was a good idea. Because being forced to see repetitive content has always been a bad idea. CIG will invest dollars to develop it, only to can it later. At best, prisons will become a simplified spawn point for the bad guys, while the good guys spawn somewhere else.
There was a game that spawned "bad guys" in a field of grass. They could communicate with friends I think. I don't remember. That lasted for a while, but they canned it and just suspended griefers... about the only thing you could get that kind of punishment for.

The problem in SC right now is you can get a crimestat because your ship radar didn't update. After a couple of hours in this patch, I got a crime stat I couldn't get rid of for going to quantum. I never heard or saw the security force. CIG changed it to a 20,000 aUEC fine that appeared after 2 days.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The problem in SC right now is you can get a crimestat because your ship radar didn't update. After a couple of hours in this patch, I got a crime stat I couldn't get rid of for going to quantum. I never heard or saw the security force. CIG changed it to a 20,000 aUEC fine that appeared after 2 days.
First of all I would want my ship sounding loud as hell klaxons if I'm getting scanned with some sort of indicator on a MFD or something as to who by. Second 20,000 aUEC seems a bit high for failure to pull over, I'm hoping that gets balanced.

Forgot your password?