What's your guy's opinion on the new citizencon ships?

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
I'm passing on the Valkyrie because I don't "need it". Ironic coming from me, whose fleet is a militarized cluster-fuck but still, I'm instead hoping to get my grubby mits on that KRAKEN, I've got so many unorthodox things I want to use it for! Like loading the flight deck with Nova Tanks to turn that baby into a make-shift Destroyer!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, I was in the wrong timezone to know what the heck you guys are all talking about so time to go catch up on the RSI site.

EDIT - Wow, am I ever having a hard time finding any official info... The front page of RSI site is exactly what was on there yesterday and the Citizen Con page is still inviting me to view the stream but then had "Live event is now over" so it's not been updated either. Looks like i'm going to have to wait to find out what was revealed.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hm I could see a use for the Kraken but would not ever want to own one. AS for yet another drop ship seems this game is becoming more and more ground combat than anything else sad.
I can kinda see why as it was almost entirely space combat until they started looking at other mechanics. Seems like it comes in waves, all space combat, then all drake ships, then all luxury ships (that didn't take long) then all dropships/ground...?

EDIT - and as of this momemnt there are 1133 Pheonix left on sale - wonder how many will fly off the shelves/how soon it will sell out this time considering competition from the 600 series?

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Oh didn't know about the Pheonix sale seriously why pretend and limit numbers I must rush in or not. I mean I already melted the 600i as quite frankly it just wasn't very good. From what has been seen at Citizen Con the game is many years from release (i.e. no change in 2 years now) and that means loads more concept ships.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Kraken: I think its a pretty cool ship for orgs and people wanting to set up a "ship transport business". I think i might want it ingame because i'm not going to invest so much money. (I'd rather buy better hardware)
Valkyrie: Well a bigger Cutlass
Cool nice looking ship, don't see a purpose for me now.

I would have loved to see the corsair (Which has been discribed as a "Drake Connie") it might have tempted me to melt stuff

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Its not a cheap ship but I can see the mission profile of dropping troops off into hostile territory. Just cannot see any use other than repeating said missions (when they add them) even then would a cutlass not be sufficient. They really should allow cargo in the vehicle bay I mean its hardly a hauler needing two manned turrets.

Darkstar

Vice Admiral
Jul 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Lordcat_Darkstar
I have the idea of a kraken helping out with large mining ops. You could put a cat on the two large landing pads to ferry mined resources, and a bunch of prospectors on the smaller pads/hangers. It would be a low cost way to move a lot of ships to and from the mining area plus add a huge amount of defense. kind of like what was showed in the video really. Naturally in more dangerous areas you would want to swap some prospectors for fighters. I'm definitely gonna have to get one. I just hope my wallet is big enough. The Valkyrie looks like the Terror-pin's big brother so I gotta get one of these. XD Probably gonna just earn that one in game since I don't have much of a use for a drop ship.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
The Kraken looks like it could end up being as close to my dream ship as will ever be in SC, so short of winning the lottery that's what I'll be working towards getting in-game with my every action.

Unless the Valkyrie has an impressive cargo capacity that dwarfs the Cutlass and Freelancer, I don't see it as a ship I'd ever get for me but it still has impressive potential for those interested in focusing on that play style.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm torn between upgrading my Hoplite to the Valkyrie or getting it in game later. I find it rather interesting that CIG has backers that are interested in obtaining a Kraken fill out an inquiry to then find out the details of it after the 22nd. I have a feeling that there will be quite a bit of sticker shock & they are looking to sell as many of the Valkyries as they can before people spend their funds on the new Cap. I'm loving the new version of the Mustang Alpha with its Vindicator livery. It reminds me of the skin of the Skull Leader 1 fighter from Robotech / Macross Saga.

I'm also in agreement with @FluffyVonRage in looking forward to their being more starter ships concepted & introduced to help give new backers more options. They will also make great LTI tokens for later ship upgrades. hehehe

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I can see there being a starter ship from each manufacturer added, but they'd have to each be very distinctive of that particular manufacturer.

I think I'd rather see more profession entry level ships, like the Prospector and Vulture, but for other professions (single pilot repair, medical, etc.)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Something to remember with the Kraken --> according to 5 year old lore, a lot of the single seat ships have a Quantum drive, but do NOT have a Jump drive, at least initially -- you have to buy one and install it later.

So a lot of people with fancy pants fighters may be able to hop around inside a system, BUT, will not be able to do jumps to other star systems.

The Kraken will be the easiest way to get a fighter wing from star system A to star system B, and provide cover for the bigger ships. So, it definitely serves an important niche.

Forgot your password?