which would you rather have. . .

. . .for general gameplay nit including boarding actions:

• Total voters

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Last I heard the current plan was to limit the number of times you can spawn the same name, and after about ten deaths you need to change your name. Also the spawn time grows the more deaths you have. Who knows what they'll do though. That was a couple years ago I think. Definitely they will make it inconvenient enough that you won';t just rip skins to pop back across the galaxy.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Salvaging almost destroyed ships was my approach, but therefor I need a repair shop.
Hmmmmm, maybe I should get a crucible...
That is the spirit, I buy ships because I love them, not because they can become useful.
I need to do more of this, haha. I keep thinking in terms utility. Maybe I should spend more time admiring beauty.

Hello Redeemer. Haha
Yeah, the Crucible is highly underrated, IMHO. One significant difference in SC may be though, that NPCs and especially PCs, will be less lilkely to abandon a damaged bird but may instead fight to the last breath, so boarding is called for.
@Stevetank had me 9/10ths convinced to get a cruicble. Then I didn't.

Maybe I should reexamine.
Unless there is a penalty on respawn :smile: though I'm not quite sure if they talked about it yet... like, in eve the idea is you have clones, what is their approach to getting killed in SC? You just wake up from a bad dream after too many beers?
Last I heard the current plan was to limit the number of times you can spawn the same name, and after about ten deaths you need to change your name. Also the spawn time grows the more deaths you have. Who knows what they'll do though. That was a couple years ago I think. Definitely they will make it inconvenient enough that you won';t just rip skins to pop back across the galaxy.
Yes, exactly @Shadow Reaper . Originally, this:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Now? Who knows.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
End game ships make the most sense for pre purchase just because they should be much harder to get in game. The caveat is they may not all be profitable (Polaris) or flyable to start with (due to crew and higher running costs), so I would also have something else to fly.

I have a mix of ships with no extra crew requirements and end game ships for this reason. I also traded a polaris for a hammerhead (a cost downgrade) as I thought the hammerhead would be more usable and cheaper to fly (its those torps) of course its not as flexible.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
End game ships make the most sense for pre purchase just because they should be much harder to get in game. The caveat is they may not all be profitable (Polaris) or flyable to start with (due to crew and higher running costs), so I would also have something else to fly.

I have a mix of ships with no extra crew requirements and end game ships for this reason. I also traded a polaris for a hammerhead (a cost downgrade) as I thought the hammerhead would be more usable and cheaper to fly (its those torps) of course its not as flexible.
The only thing the hammerhead is really going to fear is capital ships like the Polaris so its a great choice.

We know trading is going to be highly profitable and using ships like the Caterpillar and Hull C with an initial padded wallet of purchased UEC.

Mining in an Orion especially when you factor in the teamwork capabilities of this organization I honestly feel has the highest probability of success due to the economics of scale.

Racing has the potential to be profitable but its very much dependent on CIG and how big they make the purse. I have a feeling it will be highly profitable for the top 1% of racers and so your skill as compared to other players will greatly matter.

As for missions I cannot say bigger is going to be better. A prowler with a skilled FPS strike force and a Raven or Sentinel might be far more profitable in their ability to commandeer larger ships instead of just blowing them up for scrap and mission rewards as would be achieved with a Polaris or Hammerhead.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I mean, it depends what you want to do. Tackling mid sized ships would be great with the Raven, Prowler and all that. You could do boarding stuff or planetary assaults. If you want to hunt the big guys, the Polaris is a dedicated Capital class ship killer.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
@Stevetank had me 9/10ths convinced to get a cruicble. Then I didn't.

Maybe I should reexamine.
The Crucible may be SC's easiest to steal ship. If you look carefully at it, it is neigh unto indefensible. However, if it is landed planetside, and especially if operating in a hangar, could be it would be safe.

OTOH, I just think The Outsiders have a handful they're keeping safe for us and I'm told they're free, just because we are so cute and clever they love us.

Jasum

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Jasum
I voted for the smaller ships, but now that I think about it this answer depends much on what (if any) other ships you have. If the Polaris is your only ship, that's a very bad idea. If you smack that thing into an asteroid on day 1 you're going to be without a ship for a long time because A) you won't have funds to expedite insurance, and B) Insurance for capital ships is going to take a long time.

That being said if you had an Aurora, as all good Testies should, or other ships to continue playing if the Polaris is out of commission, then I'd wholeheartedly vote Polaris.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The Crucible may be SC's easiest to steal ship. If you look carefully at it, it is neigh unto indefensible. However, if it is landed planetside, and especially if operating in a hangar, could be it would be safe.

OTOH, I just think The Outsiders have a handful they're keeping safe for us and I'm told they're free, just because we are so cute and clever they love us.
Good thought process.
I am still leaning toward the Polaris, but I would still need to fit one or two tiny ships inside; maybe a Raven. Not sure if you lose the Polaris and the raven is onboard if you lose them both.

And I'm not sure I can go without a Sentinel.
Dunno about loosing both ships, but I dare say that the Sentinel is essential. I, personally, will have my Harby/Sentinel, my Raven, and a Polaris. ;)

Reactions: Ammorn

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
End game ships make the most sense for pre purchase just because they should be much harder to get in game. The caveat is they may not all be profitable (Polaris). . .
Once they open the mission series centered around the "Sons Of Orion", then there will be a path to keep dollars flowing by killing Vanduul. Granted to do that with a Polaris you want the very expensive torps, but if the reward is sufficient, then there would be a simple path for keeping a pure war wagon in the black. Theoretically, a Polaris owner could earn a living by hunting and killing large Vanduul ships daily and gain quite a reputation at the same time.

I could do that. . .and hope to discover a way to disable the Vanduul self-destruct in attempts to steal their ships. Those Void Bomber weapons placed on a Polaris would be pretty nasty. . .

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Once they open the mission series centered around the "Sons Of Orion", then there will be a path to keep dollars flowing by killing Vanduul. Granted to do that with a Polaris you want the very expensive torps, but if the reward is sufficient, then there would be a simple path for keeping a pure war wagon in the black. Theoretically, a Polaris owner could earn a living by hunting and killing large Vanduul ships daily and gain quite a reputation at the same time.

I could do that. . .and hope to discover a way to disable the Vanduul self-destruct in attempts to steal their ships. Those Void Bomber weapons placed on a Polaris would be pretty nasty. . .
I like your train of thought.

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan

Well yes and there is no doubt its a big risk to so whilst some maybe profitable others will be reclaimer fodder.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well yes and there is no doubt its a big risk to so whilst some maybe profitable others will be reclaimer fodder.
Yes. It remains to be seen if you can cut weapons off a broken hull and use them. That would be cool.

I can imagine a huge market for S5 plasma weapons provided by a small team on a Polaris, selling to the highest bidders. Those Vanduul plasma guns are perfect alpha strike weapons. Put three of them in the nose of a 600i and you have an assault wagon.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?