Windows 10 users read this

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I'm not terribly concerned... I really only use the O/S portion of my PC for games, anyways. I can go through Linux for... "everything else" quite easily. And to be blunt, I wouldn't be surprised if Steam basically made an honest person out of many, MANY people with regard to most of those activities, whatever the case. No worries here! ;)

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I'm in computer security and the number of issues windows 10 has pretty much insures I'l be sticking with win7 for awhile to come. I'd rather not have big brother microsoft blatantly doing all that stuff.
Not to mention all the exploits they will have to patch, and the rampant identity theft as "collateral damage". I have always been predisposed to waiting for new technologies to mature a bit instead of jumping on any bandwagons. I waited so long before upgrading from XP to Win7; I hate being somebody's unpaid guinea pig.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Isn't this telemetry bullshit (including keylogging) illegal?

If I were typing my passwords, it'd be getting transmitted to Microsoft? What the fuck?
You agree with it all when you press "ACCEPT" at Eula screen at Win 10 installation.
It is not illegal if you agree to it.

There is A LOT of small print in there, that 99.99999% of users skips.

Reactions: honcho12

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
blocking hostnames seems to be useless, since hosts can't handle wildcards.
Simple example: current telemetry sends data to telemetry.example.tld
M$ can install wildcard record to *.telemetry.example.tld, so domains like asdjashfdakljgeowpt.telemetry.example.tld will work pointing to random IP. Such records cannot be handled by hosts file. Given MS owns ~12 mil IPs, they can rotate this wildcard records on hourly basis to avoid direct IP blocking on firewall.

You can probably block this domains from resolving using Layer 7 filter on your router (looking into DNS requests for known telemetry domains and pointing them, for example, to 127.0.0.1), but that's not something consumer-grade router can do.

Probably proper way of handling MS crap will be installing 3rd party firewall and allowing network access only for programs you trust, but i suspect this "telemetry" spyware uses another set of undocumented windows API that can easily bypass basically any blocking, given this screenshot payload is masked as DNS traffic.

Last edited:

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Couldn't use my hotmail after I ran that!

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Also disabled my precious Windows + Type to search for program and my girl Cortana. I restored back. I'll deal with their spying for now I only use that PC for games, a few random things. and twitch. I pay my bills on my work PC, laptop running another OS or phone anyway.

Reactions: mromutt

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
blocking hostnames seems to be useless, since hosts can't handle wildcards.
Simple example: current telemetry sends data to telemetry.example.tld
M$ can install wildcard record to *.telemetry.example.tld, so domains like asdjashfdakljgeowpt.telemetry.example.tld will work pointing to random IP. Such records cannot be handled by hosts file. Given MS owns ~12 mil IPs, they can rotate this wildcard records on hourly basis to avoid direct IP blocking on firewall.

You can probably block this domains from resolving using Layer 7 filter on your router (looking into DNS requests for known telemetry domains and pointing them, for example, to 127.0.0.1), but that's not something consumer-grade router can do.

Probably proper way of handling MS crap will be installing 3rd party firewall and allowing network access only for programs you trust, but i suspect this "telemetry" spyware uses another set of undocumented windows API that can easily bypass basically any blocking, given this screenshot payload is masked as DNS traffic.
Dude, those sites are static.
They are not going to issue updates to windows anytime soon and redirect to some other sites just to spite our workaround.

Hosts file is waaaaay better than being ignorant (not using it) and bend over for M$.
And as far as this progy goes, it is a 1 button fix.
What more do you want?

It is made for people who are not that computer literate or just don't have time.
It is perfect for casuals.

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Dude, those sites are static.
They are not going to issue updates to windows anytime soon and redirect to some other sites just to spite our workaround.

Hosts file is waaaaay better than being ignorant (not using it) and bend over for M$.
And as far as this progy goes, it is a 1 button fix.
What more do you want?

It is made for people who are not that computer literate or just don't have time.
It is perfect for casuals.
i'm not saying "don't use that". Right now - yeah, that's solution. But hype is real, even my father who is far from IT and work in non-it company heard about "win 10 spying". I bet ALOT of win10 users uses some kind of similar blocker software now.

I don't think that there won't be updates to windows related this issue, MS surely put fuckload of money to implement this analytics system and they won't give up that easily.

Just my 0.05$

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
Of course I know Microsoft is spying on me. I'll give their technicians nightmares for fucking years

Watching us all fap mmmmmmm

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
First let me say that I myself am a Windows 10 user.
Second, I will not to try to brainwash you or anything like that, I am sure you are all informed about Win10 and M$ spying practices.

Well. Do you really believe you are well informed?
I thought so also, until recently.

Some guys have found out some disturbing things, which I did not know previously.
I suggest you READ THIS !!!

Pretty nasty right?
No wonder it was free !!!!!

No worries tho.

If you love the new Windows 10 and would like to keep using it despite all of this, there is one free option for us all. At a click of a button this proggy will block all Microsoft shenanigans and you will have a bit more privacy.

Just download and run as administrator the following proggy:
Destroy Windows 10 Spying v1.5 Build 279
Binary file
Source code (if you are paranoid)

Happy gaming fellaz. :)
Can you link us the original article for that Czech guy thing, please?

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
With project Vulkan you have a great chance to actually not need ports at all.
Companies that make games will have it much easier to integrate for next-gen stuff.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
The only thing that really disturbs me is the recording of audio and video snippets for potential future use of user identification. That shit is entirely fucked up if true.

Then again, I'm not entirely worried about my data being used for anything nefarious by Microsoft themselves. If it were, even by accident, and it affected me personally in a public fashion, hello field day in court and a new mountain of money to sleep on.

Forgot your password?