With 3.7 around the corner, what will be next for you ?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Had a go the other day but im not quite sure how to set off the emp, think i'll have to have a read up on it.
Last time I had an EMP ship was in 2.5 and it was the mouse-wheel button, but that might be missiles these days? Might have to slave it to a button.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
So is this the directable shield the Tevarin were famous for, and will it come in the Prowler?
Directable/Shield Hardening: Yes, but they haven't actually explained the implemented functional mechanic or keybinds, though you can click on them in the MFD to see it activate and from limited testing of it might impression was that incoming ballistic damage was reduced.

Prowler: I believe the Prowler is intended to have 2x S1 Shields so my guess is that if they get the Banu S2 shield functioning close enough to intent then they'll scale that solution for the Prowler shields.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So in the tpu right now only select ships are available to be rented, biggest being the 600i, do you know if we will get the same renting ships in the release of 3.7 or whether it will be all ships ?

RDR2 will take over for me, i smashed it out on ps4 and loved every minute of the campaign, not so much the online though.
No idea, probably only a limited set will be available. I don't need to rent anything as large as a 600i though, smaller ships like a Prospector and Freelancer are the ones I'm looking for for mining and trade runs mostly.
I was about to say that I'm gonna grind out the money to buy a Terrapin or something similar, but then realized that RDR2 is finally coming to PC! so nope lol I'll be spending my time in accurately animated horse bollocks country!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Hello TESTies

3.7 is imminent now and I’m on the market to expand my fleet again ( waiting for the sale )

So my question is, now we know what’s in 3.7 what will be your main focus of this patch? What will be your main type of gameplay and what ship or ships will help you achieve this ?

I’m looking to gather peoples thoughts around what they’ll use to accomplish these missions.

I myself plan on shared missions with cargo runs as this isn’t something I’ve attempted yet, for this I would use my cutlass black for now., I’ll also be doing bounty missions which my warden is the boss of right now.
Depends on what my Warden BUK gets me in the PU. Grind out some money so I can get my Sentinel to Mil Spec with proper guns.
Share some missions with my better half.

Maybe use my Retaliator Base to Andromeda CCU for some cargo running, maybe not. Depends on the status of Torps and how annoying Mantises are.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Directable/Shield Hardening: Yes, but they haven't actually explained the implemented functional mechanic or keybinds, though you can click on them in the MFD to see it activate and from limited testing of it might impression was that incoming ballistic damage was reduced.
The original claims about the Tevrin shields were that they do not cover the entire ship, so have to have someone actively point them in the direction damage is coming from, but that they were stronger and recovered faster than UEE shields. I do not recall any connection with the Banu, but this Banu shield would seem to match those specs, given it is fully 33% stronger than the best shields, both in max value and refresh rate. The way the specs are right now, you choose one or the other, and the Banu shield is better in both.

I think the intent is to make the copilot's job much more demanding and yeah, if you can have such powerful shields it is worth having someone point them. Makes even more sense if you can put this on something like a Corvette that is fighting from some distance, so the damage is always coming form one direction. Anything with big guns fighting form >5km would benefit.

Suppose you have a Hoplite, that came stock with 2 shields that provide 21,876 each with 273/second refresh rate. They each cover half the ship. If oyu replace them with a pair of Banu shields that at both out front, taking missile damage or whatever, they would provide a combined 72,920 shield with 838 refresh rate. You could take a direct hit from an S9 Eclipse torp with that kind of protection, and shrug it off. Thing is they only work on incoming from one direction, so they are useless in most dogfighting.

But Vanguard aren't meant for dogfighting. . .

Same with the Prowler. Very big guns for such a little ship. Wants to sit back and snipe, so directional shields would be a good thing.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
The original claims about the Tevrin shields were that they do not cover the entire ship, so have to have someone actively point them in the direction damage is coming from, but that they were stronger and recovered faster than UEE shields. I do not recall any connection with the Banu, but this Banu shield would seem to match those specs, given it is fully 33% stronger than the best shields, both in max value and refresh rate. The way the specs are right now, you choose one or the other, and the Banu shield is better in both.

I think the intent is to make the copilot's job much more demanding and yeah, if you can have such powerful shields it is worth having someone point them. Makes even more sense if you can put this on something like a Corvette that is fighting from some distance, so the damage is always coming form one direction. Anything with big guns fighting form >5km would benefit.

Suppose you have a Hoplite, that came stock with 2 shields that provide 21,876 each with 273/second refresh rate. They each cover half the ship. If oyu replace them with a pair of Banu shields that at both out front, taking missile damage or whatever, they would provide a combined 72,920 shield with 838 refresh rate. You could take a direct hit from an S9 Eclipse torp with that kind of protection, and shrug it off. Thing is they only work on incoming from one direction, so they are useless in most dogfighting.

But Vanguard aren't meant for dogfighting. . .

Same with the Prowler. Very big guns for such a little ship. Wants to sit back and snipe, so directional shields would be a good thing.
Have you looked at the S1 FR-66 and S2 FR-76 shields? Both are top class health pool and top class regen, without the delay on the Defender shield.

I thought I read in lore somewhere that the Banu shields, like their engines, aren't actually Tevarin, but made using Tevarin tech. That opted for different trade-offs, such as wanting to maintain ship coverage and increase resistance to ballistics but at a loss of resistance to energy weapons and a longer wait until the shields start regening.
When I use a Defender in Pirate Swarm with Shield Hardening enabled I definitely see less bleed through ballistic damage to the hull than when I'm using a Vanguard...but I also spend more time with my shields below 50% with the Defender than I do with a Vanguard.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Have you looked at the S1 FR-66 and S2 FR-76 shields? Both are top class health pool and top class regen, without the delay on the Defender shield
We must be looking at different sources. According to Hardpoint, the FR-66 is 6,120 cap/306 regen, but the Palisade has 7,920 cap and the Mirage has 342 regen.

FR-76 same kind of thing: 24,793/310, but the Rampart has 32,085 cap and the Umbra has 346 regen. These were the leaders until the Banu shield was listed at 36,460/419.

Normally you get one great stat and the other meager, and there is a best in class for each. All the others are mixtures between. The Banu shield clearly was designed to be better at both than anything else, so it does make sense that it is nerfed in some way, such as needing to be pointed. It certainly is nerfed as regards start time. It takes a half minute, so you're not going to use the Defender as a Highwayman. It needs to be turned on at the beginning of an engagement. Adding that stat to any analysis makes it very complex. It is worth noting the Fr-76 is very, VERY fast. That is a great stealth attack shield. If I were dressing a Vanguard in Void armor for some reason (and I hope to), that would be my shield of choice.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
We must be looking at different sources. According to Hardpoint, the FR-66 is 6,120 cap/306 regen, but the Palisade has 7,920 cap and the Mirage has 342 regen.

FR-76 same kind of thing: 24,793/310, but the Rampart has 32,085 cap and the Umbra has 346 regen. These were the leaders until the Banu shield was listed at 36,460/419.

Normally you get one great stat and the other meager, and there is a best in class for each. All the others are mixtures between. The Banu shield clearly was designed to be better at both than anything else, so it does make sense that it is nerfed in some way, such as needing to be pointed. It certainly is nerfed as regards start time. It takes a half minute, so you're not going to use the Defender as a Highwayman. It needs to be turned on at the beginning of an engagement. Adding that stat to any analysis makes it very complex. It is worth noting the Fr-76 is very, VERY fast. That is a great stealth attack shield. If I were dressing a Vanguard in Void armor for some reason (and I hope to), that would be my shield of choice.
I didn't state they have the best, I stated they have top class. Meaning both stats are exceptionally high; sure there are shield with a larger health pool but these have nearly twice the regen and the shields with more regen have roughly half the health pool of the same size FR shield.

I'm on my phone right now so I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but from memory the FR shields are Class A Military shields meant to be used in dog fighting and the downside to them is their power requirements and signature.

Also, the Defender shield cool down before or starts regening has been reduced significantly. The weird thing about it is the regen rate isn't static, it is a power curve were at the low end and high end of the health pool it regens slowly but in the mid-range of the health pool it regens quickly.

Forgot your password?