3.0 - How ready is it?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
How does Evo have an impact on public servers? Doesn't CIG use dedicated servers for Evo?
Good question, I dunno but from the two patch updates I've been with the game (2.5 to 2.6 and 2.6 to 3.0) it seems to be a running theme. 2.5 flat out died when 2.6 went to Test Universe.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
How does Evo have an impact on public servers? Doesn't CIG use dedicated servers for Evo?
It won't have any impact on the public servers as they are not on the public servers. Since CIG is using Lumberyard, that would imply that they have the ability to use AWS if they are not using their own servers, or their own servers get full.

Remember when the Evocati are on 3.0 they are not on the public servers so their traffic would be missing from the public servers. :)

Fossiebear

Commander
Oct 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Fossiebaer
It won't have any impact on the public servers as they are not on the public servers. Since CIG is using Lumberyard, that would imply that they have the ability to use AWS if they are not using their own servers, or their own servers get full.

Remember when the Evocati are on 3.0 they are not on the public servers so their traffic would be missing from the public servers. :slight_smile:
AWS right, so they just rebalance their available servercapacity between the non public test instances and the public test instances, I assume.
Thats what we do at work, if we open a new application on our test machines to all internal users. The development machine gets less resources, the test machine more. I don't think, CIG will pay for unlimited AWS resources for test instances. So Evocati gets more, playground (2.6) gets less. And that is, how it should be to get Evocati done.

P.S.: We don't use AWS, but we host our servers on an esx-cluster.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
AWS right, so they just rebalance their available servercapacity between the non public test instances and the public test instances, I assume.
I think so as well .. what worth mentioning though is that "public test instance" is called PTU .. and all "secret" testing resources are taken from that pool as well ( it would be quite painful to manage all data points reconnection for public test pool due to each secret testing wave :) )

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Thats what we do at work, if we open a new application on our test machines to all internal users. The development machine gets less resources, the test machine more. I don't think, CIG will pay for unlimited AWS resources for test instances. So Evocati gets more, playground (2.6) gets less. And that is, how it should be to get Evocati done.

P.S.: We don't use AWS, but we host our servers on an esx-cluster.
AWS can be done on demand.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Are the 2.6 bugs going to be addressed now that 3.0 is nearly here, or are those poor souls over at the issue council wasting their time? lol

Reactions: Talonsbane

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I'm not an Avocado, but I can tell you that 3.0 has features and fidelity.

FIDELITY! I sure hope so. I can't wait to Fidel the universe

As someone that used to run software QA for a 3D software company, I used to bounce members of our equivalent team for even hinting they were on the team.
Woaaaah harsh dude.
I used to be in a top secret projects to turn oil into water and you can find the research at www.topsecreeaaaaaaaaah THEY FOUND ME

Plagueis

Admiral
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
xPlagueisx
When it comes to fixing bugs its really hard to put a time on that. Its not like they are just working on code for graphics or game content. Even if they narrow it down to 1 bug, because that 1 bug could take months to figure out or fix. On the positive side they are at least working on the 3.0 part of the game now. I'm hoping to see some great progress by the end of next year, they have a lot of issues to work on but with the amount of staff and backers I'm staying positive. :slight_smile:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Are the 2.6 bugs going to be addressed now that 3.0 is nearly here, or are those poor souls over at the issue council wasting their time? lol
Completely wasting their time. 3.0 is the new hotness. Report bugs there or don't report them at all.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
There is an Evocati I won't name *cough*BG*cough* who makes videos and he has talked about alpha3.0. He said it was great and he was having much enjoyment doing the stuff CIG wants focus on and he has been spending a lot of time in the Evocati build. So, there's that. If you watch a certain British YouTuber who isn't boring, you can see what he is comfortable releasing about the Evocati alpha3.0, but it's just general impressions of his having fun and spending a lot of time on it and such.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Btw, what is this PTU and how do one get an invitation to that?
For using the PTU you'd have to prove you are there to Test the game and its bugs rather than just play and mess about. The people who provide and use the most content to the highest quality in the Issue Council are the ones who'd get access to the PTU, so you'd need to do 3 things.

1) Post bugs you find in the Issue Council. Not only that, but checking the issue council three times over before posting it to ensure no one else has found it before.

2) Test the issues that are in the Issue Council. By testing others finds, you are helping the game development. If you can recreate it, its an issue, if you can't, it may be less of a problem. Before too long you may find a lot of the new issues being generated are ones you have already tested. At this point you can mark the report as such. This also helps testing because people aren't wasting their time testing the same issue over and over again.

The above two points build up your knowledge of the state of the game as it is right now. The third point is subjective but important to note:

3) Consistency. You are a Bug Hunter. Every time you login to the PU you are hunting bugs, not playing the standard PU. Game testing is one of if not the most dull thing you could possibly dare to do. Game testing you don't just play the game, you do every conceivable action to make sure what happens is expected.

You run down a corridor. Then you go back and walk down the corridor. Then you go back and crouch down the corridor. then you go back and crawl down the corridor. Then you go back and strafe run down the corridor. Then you go back and strafe walk down the corridor. Then you go back and strafe crouch down the corridor. Then you go back and strafe crawl down the corridor - And then you do all that with a pistol drawn. And then you do all that with a rifle drawn - you do it with every single weapon in the game able to fit in the corridor, and you try with some that won't. AND THEN you do all that firing the weapons. AND THEN you do ALL of the ABOVE wearing a different flight-suit. AND THEN you do all of the above wearing a bandanna. And once you have done every single conceivable way of going down that corridor, you then move to the next corridor.

The above is, above all else, time consuming. It is no coincidence some of the best known SC Youtubers are suspected Evocatti. You need a whole load of time to crawl down that one corridor and it is made easier to do this when you are making a living off vid revenue. I'm not saying people with 9-5 jobs can't do it, but I'd say having a full time job makes it very hard to get hours of testing in a day.

Games testing you are given a tiny part of the game and have to test it to infinity and back again. If you don't have the consistency to walk up and down the same corridor every single way you can in a game then you don't have the consistency to be a games tester. It's dull. Its repetitive. And Games still launch with bugs that have to be patched in the first few days because the computer a customer has has a graphics card X used with Motherboard Z that the game could not be tested with because there are many more PC setups than there are PC's even in the largest of games companies to test it with.

Remember what they are after with the PTU: Testing.

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
It's my impression that what the avocados are playing right now isn't the actual 3.0. Rather, this is merely a portion of what they are planning in 3.0. If i remember correctly, they scaled down what they were initially releasing to the test group and will continue to piece it out to them until the evocatti are testing the full 3.0 build. Then, after that's tested enough, it will go to the PTU.

It's my understanding that they basically only have the planets right now instead of the full list of planned 3.0 features. If that's the case, we have a very long way to go before we can even get an initial impression of how fun 3.0 is. I could be wrong though.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
It's my impression that what the avocados are playing right now isn't the actual 3.0. Rather, this is merely a portion of what they are planning in 3.0. If i remember correctly, they scaled down what they were initially releasing to the test group and will continue to piece it out to them until the evocatti are testing the full 3.0 build. Then, after that's tested enough, it will go to the PTU.

It's my understanding that they basically only have the planets right now instead of the full list of planned 3.0 features. If that's the case, we have a very long way to go before we can even get an initial impression of how fun 3.0 is. I could be wrong though.
I'm not totally sure about that but on famous platform, where people discuss many things, there is an "evocati invitation leak", with what avocados should focus in this first testing step.
So maybe they have the full current bugged build but should focus on certain aspects.

Forgot your password?