3.17.2 Evocati Leak

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Here's a video for those interested:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtNqFZ7CWuw

I'm not going to spoil everything, you can watch it if you choose but there is one detail I thought worth mentioning and worthy of opinion and discussion...

"Added Marker for Friendly AI that are Associated with your current FPS Mission"..

Personally I think this is a terrible idea, you do a bunker mission and see movement...aim..then check to see if it's a hostile or friendly, thus your actions have consequence if you failed to identify a friendly and shoot them.

Now with these changes that seem to destined to be implemented...people can just waltz on into a bunker with an LMG or GL and paste anything that doesn't have a UI marker..thus making it a lazy loot grab. What do you think?

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
I'm torn. Now that there's a bit better differentiation between friend and foe already, I like it less. Arccorp(?) used to be terrible because everyone looked close to the same.
Good in some respects...i'm always strapped for cash so quick and easy sometimes would be nice...but in the grand scheme of things, i'm not a fan of it. Twice now i've ended up in prison for accidently clipping a guard, and I wore it...so be it...I shot a guard (haven't since then...)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

I'm not going to spoil everything, you can watch it if you choose but there is one detail I thought worth mentioning and worthy of opinion and discussion...

"Added Marker for Friendly AI that are Associated with your current FPS Mission"..

Personally I think this is a terrible idea, you do a bunker mission and see movement...aim..then check to see if it's a hostile or friendly, thus your actions have consequence if you failed to identify a friendly and shoot them.

Now with these changes that seem to destined to be implemented...people can just waltz on into a bunker with an LMG or GL and paste anything that doesn't have a UI marker..thus making it a lazy loot grab. What do you think?
IFF in a Heads Up display world makes sense and is realistic.

Friendly fire is a real world problem that is always looking for solutions.
In the real world lots of things are done to identify friendlies, using things like UV chemsticks, the placement of reflectors on helmets (on the back), colored smoke, panels, etc.

Some of DARPA's work in the field is based on small, low cost thermal imaging (https://www.darpa.mil/program/low-cost-thermal-imager-manufacturing), Warrior Web (https://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2013-08-22) and TALOS for full body armor and battlefield awareness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow Reaper

DrunkSpacePeej

Commander
Dec 14, 2021
RSI Handle
DrunkSpacePeej
Those are some good points. Hopefully the marker is something that can be explained in game without being immersion breaking. I like the other ideas for markers as well. Perhaps a mix of them in the future that can change from mission to mission.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

Agreed, I did go to prison once or twice because the friendly npc jumped right into my line of fire as I was firing, something that only a not so insanely dumb Ai can prevent. So I don't think adding markers is the solution to ff issues. And yes you should identify what you're about to shoot at. It's part of the risk/reward system, that's why the reward is so dang high for basically 5 minutes of just sitting at the door of a bunker waiting for the ai to clean out most of the place. It's already too easy. I stopped packing heat and only take armor for the backpack, and waltz in with a sidearm with no extra mag... If you really have to you can just loot a gun anyways.
Tldr, Ai in bunkers need to be fixed, not adding markers to make it a dumb shooting gallery that it already is.

Thanks for posting, I'll watch the rest later.

Reactions: Patrick Spaceman

minor_accident

Captain
Mar 25, 2022
RSI Handle
minor_accident
Yes, like super-ultra-next gen Blue Force Tracker. It makes sense this would be a thing, a bunch of other stuff is displayed in the helmet HUD, a friendly fire marker would be a no-brainer.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman

Friendly fire is a real world problem that is always looking for solutions.
In the real world lots of things are done to identify friendlies, using things like UV chemsticks, the placement of reflectors on helmets (on the back), colored smoke, panels, etc.

Some of DARPA's work in the field is based on small, low cost thermal imaging (https://www.darpa.mil/program/low-cost-thermal-imager-manufacturing), Warrior Web (https://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2013-08-22) and TALOS for full body armor and battlefield awareness.
Yeah used chem-sticks, on the back of day-packs and panel markers. Didn't have UV but had a chem-stick holder that was a cylinder with a part that rotated and exposed a teensy-tiny part of the cylume stick. On chem sticks before I joined the Army, you used to able to get small ones the same size as medicine capsules, and you tie them onto your fishing rod at night time, to lure fish...

We used to drive around in hoodies and drag race people....so you'd tape two of these things under your hoodie hood...stop next to a car at night at a set of traffic lights and rev the engine...as soon as the look over we all instantly turn our heads towards them and all they see are glowing "eyes"....had one driver freak out speed off through red lights hahahaha we were pretty juvenile..haha.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Yes, like super-ultra-next gen Blue Force Tracker. It makes sense this would be a thing, a bunch of other stuff is displayed in the helmet HUD, a friendly fire marker would be a no-brainer.
It is a no brainer hundreds of years in the future, but will just makes bunkers "loot runs" where your consequences only come into play now if you really screw up using that GL. Currently sure it's a bit of a buggy mess, with some stupid AI, and jamming weapons, etc but you need to watch where you are aiming and be 100% sure before taking that shot, unless you want that crime stat.

As for HUD stuff there's too much some times, like trying to land on a pad at a refinery or cargo station..it's just clutter...

ScreenShot-2022-06-10_23-11-08-712.jpg

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
For those who want leaks, let them go look for them, but try not to give Leaks any more exposure than they can generate for themselves.

I remember the saltstorm over the Dev Mega Pistol which could destroy a ship in a couple shots to test damage states and that was in official videos called out as a Dev Tool, and people still got their undies up their asses about not being able to have it.

I know a bunch of stuff goes into Evo which doesn't make it to live, and some backers don't need more excuses to bitch about dev/timescales/deliverables/things not getting to Live when they go to war over an official dev tool... in short: Loose Lips Melt Pledge Ships. Don't give them the ammunition.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
It is a no brainer hundreds of years in the future, but will just makes bunkers "loot runs" where your consequences only come into play now if you really screw up using that GL. Currently sure it's a bit of a buggy mess, with some stupid AI, and jamming weapons, etc but you need to watch where you are aiming and be 100% sure before taking that shot, unless you want that crime stat.

As for HUD stuff there's too much some times, like trying to land on a pad at a refinery or cargo station..it's just clutter...

View attachment 23082
Spaceship hud is different from GROPO HUD. :)

It only becomes a loot run because the AI is brain dead. If the AI actually starts to act intelligently, it becomes a completely different matter.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Spaceship hud is different from GROPO HUD. :)

It only becomes a loot run because the AI is brain dead. If the AI actually starts to act intelligently, it becomes a completely different matter.
One day...maybe if we all wear the same armor and have a T-pose emote we can sneak in and back out again..

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm as much as the frendly marker makes sense I'm not sure of the "easy mode" introduction: one interesting thing for the bunker mission is the need to identify friendly NPC. AC mission ware a mess, but that could be easily solved by a dopting a different color scheme.
On the other hand that is an interestign feature to be adopted in other scenario too, like party/org squad where in addition to name tags you'll have an IFF feature.
I'll also excpect this is an initial test bed for HUD customization for military class helmet...

After all this could, in a log run, bring more benefit then drowbacks.

Forgot your password?