About losing a real money purchased item without insurance

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
You guys are funny. I'm not complaining about LTI. I have LTI on most of my ship inventory.

I am saying that if there is no in game mechanic that someone without insurance could use to get a ship back, then that is not a level playing field when compared with LTI. It's a financial issue, not a game issue. LTI is not limited to the original backers as it was intended, it's generally available during relatively short windows, that you have to have the money for during that window - despite the Insurance FAQ insisting it will not be.

However, I needn't worry, it turns out, there is an in game mechanic, and you will not need to pay real money. The CIG employee who said, "you need to pay more" should go and read the Insurance FAQ. CIG should also update the insurance FAQ with how the mechanic really works for LTI.
As I said, “pay more” = pay more UECs. It have been confirmed today by Azme_CIG.

About recovering a destroyed ship, you have a misunderstanding. It is not LTI ships which can be recovered. The recoverable ships are ships without LTI which have been purchased with money. If you are saying that this is unfair if you compare to players who only buy the game... I would dare say two things:
* they could just buy any ship, helping the project, and so they can enjoy this.
* it would be unfair for someone who purchased a ship (or other item) with real money to lose it if destroyed. If that is the case, then I would expect also that if the player who only purchased the game is killed, he should lose the game entirely, his complete account so he should pay again for the game to continue playing. That would be truly fair!!!!

The short windows is very relative. There are concept sales very often also you have another 2 years easy to obtain whatever you want. You just have to stay “connected”. Also you can buy one LTI from another player.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
IMHO, what we have here is yet anpther example of "I need to give an answer for something I don't fully understand/know and/or is yet extremelly subject to change".
I think it was enough explicit and it won’t change as it coincides with all they have been saying before that. What could change is the penalty fee. (Which is in UECs, BTW)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I am really confused about what people are complaining about. From what I have read and understood, this is basically saying that if you paid real money for a ship, you won't be able to lose it. Yes, you will need to pay some UEC in game to recover it that will cost more than the insurance bill would have been, but you won't lose the 30, 50, 120, 400, or even 890 dollar ship you purchased. One of the largest reasons people I know have refrained from buying this game is the fear of losing the item they purchased forever if for some reason they got in a jam and could not pay insurance or find a job without needing a ship. This says, "hey, that 450 ship you bought wont' be removed from your account. That rare gun you paid 5 bucks for or were given "free" because you attended a convention can't be lost if you die while holding it (so you might actually use it).

You may have to pay more to get it back than normal, but you can still get it back. Now the thing is, we don't know how much that will be. It could be the 2x the insurance payout, or the cost of the ship - one insurance payout. This means people will feel a bit more secure about buying that ship without LTI, or buying a game package without LTI. This means more backers. More backers means a better chance of this project succeeding.

LTI has one REAL advantage. If you have a large fleet of ships, you don't have to worry about making enough money to keep them all with basic insurance. That's it. If you have a small fleet of say...3-5 ships, it should not be an issue with keeping up with the insurance. If you had Blind Owl's fleet (before he had to refund), you might be spending a week a month just earning enough to pay the insurance bill. Once you start making the game a job, people leave because it's no longer fun.

Another thing. No matter how Mr. Roberts or people on the forums are insinuating that you are making a donation to support the game, let's be honest. You ARE buying a ship and in doing so, you are supporting the game. Without the virtual ship and copy of the game, (aka, you would need to buy the game once it came out), the kickstarter would have only raised maybe a few 100k.

Donating means "here, take this item of value and in exchange, I don't want anything in return". Lots of charities do this. Star Citizen is not a charity. In exchange for your money, you are receiving either information and REC (subscription), the ability to use in game this virtual vehicle once the game is live, or a physical good like a t-shirt. Even if you bought this https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money, you are still receiving virtual goods in exchange for your real money. In this case, a skin for your ship.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I am really confused about what people are complaining about. From what I have read and understood, this is basically saying that if you paid real money for a ship, you won't be able to lose it. Yes, you will need to pay some UEC in game to recover it that will cost more than the insurance bill would have been, but you won't lose the 30, 50, 120, 400, or even 890 dollar ship you purchased. One of the largest reasons people I know have refrained from buying this game is the fear of losing the item they purchased forever if for some reason they got in a jam and could not pay insurance or find a job without needing a ship. This says, "hey, that 450 ship you bought wont' be removed from your account. That rare gun you paid 5 bucks for or were given "free" because you attended a convention can't be lost if you die while holding it (so you might actually use it).
So you hit the nail on the head, and why I was concerned. The way the insurance mechanic works has not been well explained by the community, or by some CIG employees. When I checked the RSI website, not the forums, you get a much clearer picture.

According to the Insurance FAQ, and statements by Chris Roberts, and other employees who are a little higher up the food chain than a concierge support agent, there will be an in-game mechanism whereby a player who did not maintain insurance - for whatever reason - and lost the ship, can earn the credits to get the ship back. They'll do this by doing missions for NPC's or other players.

You will not lose the item, and you will be able to get it back through an in-game mechanism, and not by paying more real money. That said, you could still use real money to speed the process, just buy another ship. Nobody stops you from doing that, but there will be an in-game mechanism to do it too.

That removes my concerns.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
So you hit the nail on the head, and why I was concerned. The way the insurance mechanic works has not been well explained by the community, or by some CIG employees. When I checked the RSI website, not the forums, you get a much clearer picture.

According to the Insurance FAQ, and statements by Chris Roberts, and other employees who are a little higher up the food chain than a concierge support agent, there will be an in-game mechanism whereby a player who did not maintain insurance - for whatever reason - and lost the ship, can earn the credits to get the ship back. They'll do this by doing missions for NPC's or other players.

You will not lose the item, and you will be able to get it back through an in-game mechanism, and not by paying more real money. Thnice summaryat said, you could still use real money to speed the process, just buy another ship. Nobody stops you from doing that, but there will be an in-game mechanism to do it too.

nice summary

purchasing ships or insurance with cash isn't pay-to-win, it's pay-to-avoid-grinding

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy

You will not lose the item, and you will be able to get it back through an in-game mechanism, and not by paying more real money. That said, you could still use real money to speed the process, just buy another ship. Nobody stops you from doing that, but there will be an in-game mechanism to do it too.

Woopsies I quoted you and basically put all that in without reading other people's posts, I'm in TEST what do you expect.

Glad your concerns were resolved plus I made my post big and long so it's better with shorter points.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Energy never dissipates. It merely changes form. SCIENCE!!
(I will never loose the beer) - - - -NEVER!

Ok, my beer has transformed into nap time. 'Night!
It tends to do that as you get older. But here's something to sleep on:

10,000 light years away from here, there is a large nebula 1000 times the diameter of our solar system called G34.3.

Why is that relevant? First, because the nebula is in the Constellation Aquila. Second, because G34.3 contains enough alcohol to supply every person on the planet with 300,000 pint's of beers a day, for the next billion years - OR everyone in Test Squadron for the next 8 and a half days.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

10,000 light years away from here, there is a large nebula 1000 times the diameter of our solar system called G34.3.

Why is that relevant? First, because the nebula is in the Constellation Aquila. Second, because G34.3 contains enough alcohol to supply every person on the planet with 300,000 pint's of beers a day, for the next billion years - OR everyone in Test Squadron for the next 8 and a half days.
We've got those Starfarers sat there doing nothing.... I see some kind of plan here.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

I have a new life goal.

Reactions: StdDev
Forgot your password?