Aegis Sabre Fighter - Who is getting it?

Will you be rattling a Sabre?

• Yes

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Need to drink on it

Votes: 38 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
Yeah I did the deed. Looks like a Mini-Ve version of the Vanguard. 4 x S3 Guns and S2 missiles. She has the loadout the Super Hornet should have (post nerf). What's not to like?

Also, after they nerfed the SH, it made it a bit tougher I think for the guys like me who like to use joysticks.
I mean, if you strip off the gimbals from a SH to install the biggest guns,you still don't have 4xS3 guns. I think this Sabre will be just the ticket for joystick users. No gimbals, just big guns already. Add in (hopefully) faster yaw and pitch control authority to make it more competitive with the mousers and I can see it replacing my SH. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
Ok........ now I have melted my Vanguard ..... and got with that money the Sabre and upgraded my retaliator lti to a constellation aquila lti.....
YES, finally I have an amazing lti combat ship for one person and the lti explorator that I always wanted.

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
"While no one will deny the Hornet’s place as the UEE Navy’s brawler, the Sabre offers an elegant and nimble alternative to handle an ever-evolving combat landscape."

It doesn't say that it has lower armor, but I believe that is what they meant by calling the Hornet a "brawler" in comparison. The Hornet can stand toe-to-toe, this guy must stick and move. It makes sense for balance-planning, too. Decent weapons/missiles, good agility, stealth.. must have sub-par armor.
(I fully admit that I am inferring meaning, and could be wrong. But I think this is what they are shooting for.)
That is a fair call.
The way I look at it is with this and the Lightning, which is essentially a Hornet turned into a Gladius, intent wise. A nimble, but large, fighter to go toe-to-toe with the more agile Vanduul ships.

Either way, time will tell, ey?

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
I wants it... eventually.

I'm not spending money on a ship I can't fly.

Now, once I can play with it, I'll work on talking myself out of spending $170....

Admiral_Nolan

not dead
Nov 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Admiral_Nolan
I wants it... eventually.

I'm not spending money on a ship I can't fly.

Now, once I can play with it, I'll work on talking myself out of spending $170....
Not to worry MzHartz... I went ahead and bought the Armada Package, so you can fly mine anytime! :D

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
This an in-game purchase. Do not see myself as a furball kind of guy in my advanced age.
Unbelievable how I still jump at a new ship like some Pavlovian mutt.
Similar situation, here. Not so much advanced age as I am noticing that things aren't working as great as they used to. I'm trying to find other ways to enjoy combat like combat medic and maybe transport. Healing in MMOS always catch my preference. Actually might start another post about changing up from my Connie to a Redeemer. At any rate, don't worry, speaking of Pavlov, I actually hear that old dogs CAN in fact learn new tricks :)

Bones Simmons

Space Marshal
Sep 21, 2015
RSI Handle
SturmHelix
Was it possible to upgrade to it instead of melting ships? They have this section, now.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

You might should contact customer service to un-melt, and then upgrade so you can get AC back.
Wasn't sure if you would get the lti if you upgraded, and that was one of the major things I wanted aside from it being an awesome ship. And needed the extra 5 from ac pass to get it. Got alot going on right now so dont really have the extra money to spend on SC, even if it's just 5 unfortunately.

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
Was it possible to upgrade to it instead of melting ships? They have this section, now.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

You might should contact customer service to un-melt, and then upgrade so you can get AC back.
He mentioned he wanted the LTI; if you upgrade to a ship rather than buy it directly, you keep the level of insurance your ship had previously (for instance, my Constellation Physical Package only has 6 month Insurance, so when I upgraded to the Endeavor, it maintained the 6 month insurance. It sucks, sure, but 1) insurance isn't important according to CIG and 2) that physical package isn't available any more...

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I only wonder about the role overlap between the Sabre and the Gladius, because it seems like a lot.

I love my Gladius, and I think it would be kind of a dick move for CIG to release a "Super Gladius" that does most of its job better for 2x the price. Maybe the Gladius will still be faster and nimbler, and have a shorter/cheaper repair/replacement time. Who knows?

Reactions: Reptar Khan

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
I only wonder about the role overlap between the Sabre and the Gladius, because it seems like a lot.

I love my Gladius, and I think it would be kind of a dick move for CIG to release a "Super Gladius" that does most of its job better for 2x the price. Maybe the Gladius will still be faster and nimbler, and have a shorter/cheaper repair/replacement time. Who knows?
Considering the Hornet and the Gladius don't compete for roles, I highly doubt that the competitor for the Hornet is going to compete with the Gladius.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC

I don't think CIG is being a dick. Lore says the Gladius is an "older design" so it makes sense that the UEE would want to upgrade their (let's say...) F-105 Thunderchief to F-16 Falcon, so to speak...

As far as pricing, I'd say it it still fair; the Gladius pledges for roughly half as much as the Saber. Relating price to performance in modern close-air-support roles, I'd liken the Gladius to buying an A-10 instead of the F-35 (OMG if only... come on DCS, add it already!!! *ha* anyways, I digress) In game terms for hauling, you wouldn't compare an Aurora to a Freelancer, would you? :) Increased capabilities, and one might argue that if you enjoy the zoom and boom gameplay of the Gladius, then you don't have to switch playstyles to stay competitive with others using higher-end ships; just upgrade to the Saber. (if that makes sense)

Sometimes I forget that this is a game of progression, and that I don't necessarily want to start out with all the high end gear, so that I have something to work towards.

sorry for TLDR, hope this makes sense.

ar3ios

Captain
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
ar3ios
well, i didn't really want one but finished by having one :confused: ... i wonder about the interior, it looks like there is a lot of space, enough for a bath tub ;)

Fulgrim

Lieutenant
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Fulgrim
Spilled my drink and got a semi from just looking at this thing. The phattest impulse buy. I couldn't get myself to put money down for a mustang because I can't stand the look of them, but THIS. Oo lala

Though I'm pretty content now, I have a cutlass black and a sabre so I think my money tossing days have ended for this. Stoked to see what they do after all these updates they just announced.

Reactions: Designated Drunk
Forgot your password?