Apollo vs Apollo

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
The Apollo will get its ass kicked in any real confrontation. if your plan is to go into battle with the Apollo, plan to cut and run. Faster is therefore better. Forget the missiles and guns.

If your plan is to do medivac, faster is better. Look at the Vanduul fighter speeds and you'll get this.

Run away!
Yeah I do not care about weapons on these ships at all, I would not even care if they had any at all, but if that missile rack can be swapped out that would be useful. I hope the Triage is a good amount faster to make that more worth it for my gameplay.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
This is why I don't think that any space ambulance should have any weapons at all. Replace them with various tools that work to search, rescue & save lives. Then other than the NPC pirates & Vanduul, most others should treat them as non-combatants that are not to be harmed.
Yeah I could care less about the weapons, only if the missiles racks can be swapped to fuel pods or something.

*Mumbles something about gold being a 'executive level' reward in Star Citizen.
Yeah gold is cool and all but for windows? Not my style, it turns me off to the Medivac quite a bit haha

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yeah I could care less about the weapons, only if the missiles racks can be swapped to fuel pods or something.
That's why I'd want them to make some sort of remote controlled missile that instead of having a payload, could have some sort of scanning device that would search for life signs & distress beacons to then transmit the locations of what they find to the ships navigation to help the pilots get to them as quickly as possible.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
That's why I'd want them to make some sort of remote controlled missile that instead of having a payload, could have some sort of scanning device that would search for life signs & distress beacons to then transmit the locations of what they find to the ships navigation to help the pilots get to them as quickly as possible.
Oh yeah that sounds interesting and I could see them doing that. I bet they will have some interesting attachments available as they have already given some ideas other than payload rockets and missiles, so I would not be surprised if there is some kind of remote scanner.

Seams like you have a good plan for buying the Apollo. :like:
What role do you plan for yourself on board of this? I mean obviously captain...
But do you want to pilot it or be the Doc and handle the customers?
Well it will be my brother and I so whatever he does not want to do in the 2 man crew, or we will swap out. Some days he may pilot while I am doing the medic interactions and vice versa. I have a feeling that I will be playing Doc most of the time though as my brothers game play is usually less interactive with other players haha.

Of course sometimes it will be just me and maybe an NPC or fellow Test that wants to come along, but from what I imagine the rolls to be I will probably enjoy both equally.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What role do you plan for yourself on board of this?
I am wondering whether an Apollo would make a good Command and Control ship for a wing of Sentinels intended for deep incursion strikes. I think it really matters the details of what they put out. If they keep the large radar, this is a live option. If they keep a single large reactor instead of two medium reactors, I am far less interested. I want to see how well it can be stealthed, and I want some detail about the numbers of component slots it will have for things like the radar. Ships of this type could easily have more slots available than many other ships their size. It just begs questions, like the upper room in the Prowler. . .what does it mean? No way to know.

It's hard to say how much they'll keep given they list the ship as large and it is smaller than the Mercury Star Runner.

One thing about the guns--though yeah it seems you wouldn't need them, if you are sitting on the ground and involved in an FPS battle, that top turret is suddenly worth something.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
Well it will be my brother and I so whatever he does not want to do in the 2 man crew, or we will swap out. Some days he may pilot while I am doing the medic interactions and vice versa. I have a feeling that I will be playing Doc most of the time though as my brothers game play is usually less interactive with other players haha.

Of course sometimes it will be just me and maybe an NPC or fellow Test that wants to come along, but from what I imagine the rolls to be I will probably enjoy both equally.
Good plan, although I don't trust the crew sizes on the RSI page.
Take the Cutlass black: min crew 2 max crew 2. That makes no sense at all. You got pilot, copilot, gunner. So crew is 3. Then you get some engineer to keep her flying. You ae already up to 4 people crewing the ship.
I have no idea to what they refeer to when they say max crew. Maybe the beds or people you need to fly the ship?

On the Apollo I guess there is at least one copilot seat, so you need 2 people to fly her effectively.
I can imagine that you need personal for each medbed to heal up people in later stages of medgameplay, at least for more complicated conditions.
So I guess you need at least 6 people to make good use of her... Not included technicians and security.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

I'm curious why they would list this ship as having a max crew of 2 instead of at least 4. I say this because hypothetically, you'd want to have somebody piloting the ship, while you have a medical crew member in both med rooms & probably a 4th bouncing between operating the drone med beds & scanning for more wounded. While the Cutlass Black only has 2 beds, it has active operating positions for 3. (Because it's a Drake.)

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
I am wondering whether an Apollo would make a good Command and Control ship for a wing of Sentinels intended for deep incursion strikes. I think it really matters the details of what they put out. If they keep the large radar, this is a live option. If they keep a single large reactor instead of two medium reactors, I am far less interested. I want to see how well it can be stealthed, and I want some detail about the numbers of component slots it will have for things like the radar. Ships of this type could easily have more slots available than many other ships their size. It just begs questions, like the upper room in the Prowler. . .what does it mean? No way to know.

It's hard to say how much they'll keep given they list the ship as large and it is smaller than the Mercury Star Runner.

One thing about the guns--though yeah it seems you wouldn't need them, if you are sitting on the ground and involved in an FPS battle, that top turret is suddenly worth something.
If you can swap out one medbay with something more suited for command and control purpose, then yes.
Otherwise more likely as an undercover recon vessel, maybe where the aft section's doing their med job but the front is relaying information to a hidden Herald.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Good plan, although I don't trust the crew sizes on the RSI page.
Take the Cutlass black: min crew 2 max crew 2. That makes no sense at all. You got pilot, copilot, gunner. So crew is 3. Then you get some engineer to keep her flying. You ae already up to 4 people crewing the ship.
I have no idea to what they refeer to when they say max crew. Maybe the beds or people you need to fly the ship?

On the Apollo I guess there is at least one copilot seat, so you need 2 people to fly her effectively.
I can imagine that you need personal for each medbed to heal up people in later stages of medgameplay, at least for more complicated conditions.
So I guess you need at least 6 people to make good use of her... Not included technicians and security.
LoL, @invalidData , you & I are on the same wavelength there my friend. I was typing mine up & saw yours pop up after I hit post reply.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you can swap out one medbay with something more suited for command and control purpose, then yes.
Really it depends upon component slots and antenna mounts. The fact it sports a Large radar is encouraging. Given the choice, I'd pull the turret and put another antenna in. Seems to me though, that one might keep all the bed slots and still have potent C&C ability, so long as one can stay hidden. The point is really to see the whole battlefield and be able to direct those that can't. Large radar might do that. Of course the Polaris with Cap radar and the holoviewer would be much better.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Really it depends upon component slots and antenna mounts. The fact it sports a Large radar is encouraging. Given the choice, I'd pull the turret and put another antenna in. Seems to me though, that one might keep all the bed slots and still have potent C&C ability, so long as one can stay hidden. The point is really to see the whole battlefield and be able to direct those that can't. Large radar might do that. Of course the Polaris with Cap radar and the holoviewer would be much better.
Not sure how stealthy the Polaris will be able to achieve. As for the Apollo, it will be interesting how far you can stretch a ship out of its intended role and still have it be useful.

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
Right that is a very important part of a C&C ship and if that would be all there is, I would agree.
But a fleet commander needs their staff around, some place to hold meetings and to decide what to do. A big map and displays with the status of other members of the fleet.
A C&C ship needs the capacity to communicate with many different people at the same time, yes some oft them in group chat but some of them on their own channel, so it needs multiple manned comm stations.
As an aditional information provider, even undercover, it makes totaly sense but I garantee you there will not be enough room on the bridge of the Apollo to do all this, especially undetected.

If you want to break the 4th wall and all the immersion by using Discord instead of ingame mechanics, you could use any ship with a big radar.
You wouldn't even need to be in game to C&C. Just get someone to stream all the data you need on twitch 😅

On a small operation it would work, like for a one ground squad plus an extraction team, but I thought you talk about fleets and battles not just encounters, fights, quests or secret missions.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm most interested in smallish strike teams--3-7 ships. I get what you're saying, that larger groups need more comm channels, but I'm not sure a common, vulgar strike team needs more comms than an Apollo might provide. If you're coordinating more than a handful of ships, you definitely need the abilities of something like an Idris.

And let me plug TEST Squadron benefits here: the most effective ops in all SC, will be by largeish player groups who are all COORDINATED by a single C&C. That's a fact. Ignore this to your peril. Cooperative play by people who get coordination is going to rule all player interaction and unlike all play in the past, this is all going to be up to the players.

Agree to work with other TEST players, and you'll find yourself amongst the most powerful force in the universe.

All common sense says that TEST should become the most powerful group in SC. If you have for example a deep yearning to explore, don't necessarily buy an exploration vessel. Instead consider to crew an Idris. The best exploration is going to happen as part of a TEAM, with the best vessels.

Last edited:

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
I'm most interested in smallish strike teams--3-7 ships. I get what you're saying, that larger groups need more comm channels, but I'm not sure a common, vulgar strike team needs more comms than an Apollo might provide. If you're coordinating more than a handful of ships, you definitely need the abilities of something like an Idris.

And let me plug TEST Squadron benefits here: the most effective ops in all SC, will be by largeish player groups who are all COORDINATED by a single C&C. That's a fact. Ignore this to your peril. Cooperative play by people who get coordination is going to rule all player interaction and unlike all play in the past, this is all going to be up to the players.

Agree to work with other TEST players, and you'll find yourself amongst the most powerful force in the universe.

All common sense says that TEST should become the most powerful group in SC. If you have for example a deep yearning to explore, don't necessarily buy an exploration vessel. Instead consider to crew an Idris. The best exploration is going to happen as part of a TEAM, with the best vessels.
It's good to know the scale we are talking about :) I'm new to organised gameplay and I think there is much truth in what you said.

However, I got the feeling that it would be important that the C&C ship takes part in the action, especially on smaller teams.
Propably there are situations where the Apollo does well.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It's good to know the scale we are talking about :) I'm new to organised gameplay and I think there is much truth in what you said.

However, I got the feeling that it would be important that the C&C ship takes part in the action, especially on smaller teams.
Propably there are situations where the Apollo does well.

Just remember there will be server limitations to the number of players that can accumulate into a given area. Currently, that has been set at 50 but we do not know what the future holds, but I'd bet an Aurora that the cap will not be above 1k players.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
Just remember there will be server limitations to the number of players that can accumulate into a given area. Currently, that has been set at 50 but we do not know what the future holds, but I'd bet an Aurora that the cap will not be above 1k players.
I am excited to find out for when we have an epic org v org battle at some point.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
The Apollo will get its ass kicked in any real confrontation. if your plan is to go into battle with the Apollo, plan to cut and run. Faster is therefore better. Forget the missiles and guns
I think a thing to consider is that while the heavier armor makes it slower, it will take less damage when it is getting hit. Perhaps making it near immune to small arms fire, where the other would take damage.

Regardless of how fast the other version is, they both have to come to a stop to pick up people. Even the best pilot in the world is reliant on how quickly people can be loaded onboard. This is going to be several seconds at least of no movement where anyone is free to unload on it.

Not to mention with physicalized damage we may have armor penetration rounds that go through a ship with lower armor, possibly hitting and killing any crew members including the pilot.

Forgot your password?