Avenger Spider

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
This is what i'm confused about people are saying that you cant have ships filled with people they are not rated for but in lore and game play wise this is contradicted

In lore the 350r is used as a spec ops drops ship for when they need to move fast not stealthy

Game play wise if this was the case the cutlass blue would be useless as it has many chambers for prisoners but the ship is rated for two people but also referred to as a drop ship

The retaliator also has drop ship modules

to me the only thing you are limited by would be a use of a mod the expands life support but even then you could have oxygen in your suit

I don't see it being that big of a deal if people want to pack 10 guys in an avenger or cutlass and it gets shot down that's 10 guys you have wasted

I think it balances out

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
The advantage of a dropship above a passenger ship is armor, protection and fast exit under fire.
This is very true. But I believe the TEST way is similar to the Vikings way, which may also include getting there, destroying our ships (if not already done so on "landing") and winning at all cost.

Because we sure as hell can't retreat anymore.

And if we need motivation to win, just spread the rumour they want to pour our beer down the drain. HELL NO I say to thee.

So who needs armour to crash, I mean land. And a fast exit? pfft, a glorious death awaits us.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
just spread the rumour they want to pour our beer down the drain.
This reminds me of my wife's uncle, he was calm itself during war, until a shell hit his wine cellar. When the news reached him, his fellow soldiers had to jump on him because he wanted to charge the enemy by himself.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I don't see it being that big of a deal if people want to pack 10 guys in an avenger or cutlass and it gets shot down that's 10 guys you have wasted
If nothing else, cram those 10 guys in the prisoner pods. Then just land, and star opening pods and figure out how to get them all some weapons and armor. It'll be fine

eaglemmoomin

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
eaglemmoomin
The main issue I have with the Avenger is that it's nose-gun is fixed, meaning you can't change it for another one and it's a Ballistic one, which seriously hinders it's ability to provide close air support, as you'd prefer a energy weapon in this role.

If you want a small Dropship for pocket money, I'd suggest looking at the Reliant Tana.. even tough the Reliant by itself isn't a great design.

I think a Constellation Taurus would also be viable as a Dropship, as you could rapidly deploy a lot of Soldiers even in Titan Armor and the 2x S4 Turret would be great for providing support.

However, going by artwork and description, the best Dropship so far would most likely be the Banu Merchantman.
The bottom turret is missing on the Taurus I don't think thats a good 'look' for a drop ship supporting ground troops as they disembark. Plus I suspect it'll be noisy and lit up like a xmas tree going in.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Not trying to be a dick but do you have a source?
Because if what you say is true than ships like the redeemer, 890jump, prowler and many other ships are useless and a huge waste of time and resources.
I honestly don't recall which vid it was I am thinking of, but it just makes sense and CR has said this more than once. Who is gonna buy a dedicated drop or boarding ship if you can pack 30 NPC's into a Lancer? No one. And this is what Chris has said--if you exceed the limit of the ship, it will not fly. He said this in the context of boarding actions, so it was implied that one way to keep a ship dead after spiking or pulsing it, was to board it and it would then not move until sufficient characters left it or died.

In any case, players often tell themselves they have a true multi-purpose ship in mind, like the Lancer; that will enable them to do x,y,z despite the fact CIG and CR have both said that is not the case. You cannot load cargo ships with characters, and planning to do so is a bad idea.

agathon_orti

Commander
Dec 4, 2016
RSI Handle
agathon orti
This reminds me of my wife's uncle, he was calm itself during war, until a shell hit his wine cellar. When the news reached him, his fellow soldiers had to jump on him because he wanted to charge the enemy by himself.
is your wife's uncle french...

Reactions: MikeNificent

agathon_orti

Commander
Dec 4, 2016
RSI Handle
agathon orti
I honestly don't recall which vid it was I am thinking of, but it just makes sense and CR has said this more than once. Who is gonna buy a dedicated drop or boarding ship if you can pack 30 NPC's into a Lancer? No one. And this is what Chris has said--if you exceed the limit of the ship, it will not fly. He said this in the context of boarding actions, so it was implied that one way to keep a ship dead after spiking or pulsing it, was to board it and it would then not move until sufficient characters left it or died.

In any case, players often tell themselves they have a true multi-purpose ship in mind, like the Lancer; that will enable them to do x,y,z despite the fact CIG and CR have both said that is not the case. You cannot load cargo ships with characters, and planning to do so is a bad idea.
yeah after thinking about it for a while it makes sense.. kinda.. well we could allways TEST it, pack a lancer or a connie full of "willing" TEST subjects.. go on a trip and see how many suffocate in the cargo hold.. and if your air supply is running out of just press the vent cargohold button (by mistake of course)

@edit: a word

Last edited:

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee

That could be a way players could entrap boarders. A whole lot board a vessel thinking it can't go anywhere due to number of ppl on board, except the original crew (less 1 pilot, short straw) disembark and steal the boarders ship while they (original boarders) get jumped out of the system.

Badda boom Badda bing. Reverse boarding.

agathon_orti

Commander
Dec 4, 2016
RSI Handle
agathon orti
That could be a way players could entrap boarders. A whole lot board a vessel thinking it can't go anywhere due to number of ppl on board, except the original crew (less 1 pilot, short straw) disembark and steal the boarders ship while they (original boarders) get jumped out of the system.

Badda boom Badda bing. Reverse boarding.
And how would they get jumped out of system? the orginal boarded ship still has X amount of players onboard so it would not be able to move according to shadows post. removing one or two players would not do anything if the attacking group board with more people then the amount of crew the victim has.

agathon_orti

Commander
Dec 4, 2016
RSI Handle
agathon orti
Nope, my wife's uncle was Croatian. Which wars did the French had lately where their houses were bombed? If i'm not mistaken, that was the war were my parents weren't born yet :wink:
you cleary never heard of the great baguette war of 83.

but yeah i dont know how old your wife is... or her uncle... and i feel this is going the wrong way xD

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
And how would they get jumped out of system? the orginal boarded ship still has X amount of players onboard so it would not be able to move according to shadows post. removing one or two players would not do anything if the attacking group board with more people then the amount of crew the victim has.
Make sure you go in force. Go with 10 or so, and if they board with 5-7 you know you are sweet. You ship jumps, preferably a stolen striped down one, leaving your crew to take their ship(s).

The first ship could always go to a predetermined point, pilot exits & waiting ship blows it up killing all on board. Easy.

Just need to find a tail to pin on it now.

Reactions: MikeNificent

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
You probably can't go through a jump gate or maybe even qj without everyone being seated or at least strapped in. Dropship(modules) provide these strap in seats.
Going to be a hassle in an 890 though :D

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You probably can't go through a jump gate or maybe even qj without everyone being seated or at least strapped in. Dropship(modules) provide these strap in seats.
Going to be a hassle in an 890 though :smile:
I was thinking maybe its a Biological Quantum Limitation that could cause this - Say for instance you have an Avenger Titan which should be good for carrying at least 6 in the cargo bay, or a Connie you could fit 20 in. For Planet to mothership evac that's totally fine, short range fill them up, like the little ships of Dunkirk and Operation Dynamo.

If you want to go further than shuttle runs, QD needs to be rated for the ship or it becomes lethal to biological beings. As Quantum effects the ship and a small space around it, QD could be effected by many things including Ship Design.

A heavy fighter ship that looks like it should easily fit 4 but can only take two could have its safe quantum travel effect limited by the presence of a certain vital bulk-head or Weapons-energy-relay system or multiple thrusters causing Quantum Interference. The more passengers with their own biological Quantum Signature, the more lethal. 1 passenger extra, everyone aboard takes a 50% hit to health. 2 over everyone dies. 3 over everyone dies and the ship explodes. 4 over and an area around the ship explodes too. This would discourage Stowaways, too.

Passenger ships will will be designed with the express intention to carry as many people as possible and the design will be lead by needing the QD to work perfectly, form following function passenger ships could potentially be unlimited to passenger numbers but have their manoeuvrability, armour, shielding, and weapons loadout severely hit. Cargo ships will be designed to allow the QD to have the ideal number of crew and a big cargo space which could limit haulers from carrying troops, no point in filling her up with dudes if the QD kills everyone when you try to go somewhere. Fighters and 1 man ships are designed only to carry that single person, the QD death to any more, save for certain designs like the Hornet, the Super showing this design is capable of 2 if there were room, but allowing designers free range for shields, armour, thrusters, the works.

The above means a smaller ship rated for more crew than a larger ship rated for less crew can blame the biological limiting factor of the ships design. "Sorry, the power core is in the wrong place for more crew on this model, it'd be impractical to have it anywhere else if you still want a cargo bay" - Prisoner Pods could be Stasis pods which reduce the ships Biological Signature by reducing the prisoners life signs, the down side is that they are crap for transporting people who are not prisoners. This could also lead to kitting a ship out with Quantum Friendly components just like fitting low sig components for stealth so you can fit more people in, and would also give a reason for Crusader to have a line of player usable ships, they will obviously be designed with the intention to carry the most people without dying - It could become a viable game mechanic!

Someone call Roberts! We have the BobFace solution!

This Idea was bought to you by T.W.R.L, its that Personal Touch!

EDIT - Either kill everyone or fuel limit it if you feel less evil. All of the above, but over the rated number of people and inefficiency makes fuel consumption increase 100% for every extra person. Make it so if you want to load up on dudes you would not make it out of the Armistice Zone around Olisar given enough passengers.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?