marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I agree, the cockpit would limit the view for both sides. Maybe if they just lowered the front wings at an angle, just enough for it to cover the bottom half of the cockpits? In other words raise the cockpit up just a notch,that way the design wouldn't change drastically and we could see the wings as we fly. Win-Win right?!?!
Using roll also helps a lot. Compared to the Freelancer the view of the Defender will be blocked to the sides while the Lancer has limited view up and down, but then again, the Lancer isn't a fighter, the MIS is a missile boat, who needs a good up / down view if you launch your missiles from a distance where the up / down view doesn't matter... stick to the roll.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Banu look like this:
I guess Groot is Banu?

I am not happy with any fighter that doesn't sport S4 guns, but if you are going to do without, having 6 S3s is not especially terrible. I think a Sabre or Hornet would eat this for lunch tough. Crappy shields, big target hull, low speed and maneuverability, no missiles, and a mass so low it cannot have much armor. Red lights ablaze. . .buy UEE!

If you don't want to fly weapons on gimbal, this is not a great choice, IMHO.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I guess Groot is Banu?

I am not happy with any fighter that doesn't sport S4 guns, but if you are going to do without, having 6 S3s is not especially terrible. I think a Sabre or Hornet would eat this for lunch tough. Crappy shields, big target hull, low speed and maneuverability, no missiles, and a mass so low it cannot have much armor. Red lights ablaze. . .buy UEE!

Fairly certain they said it'll have extremely powerful shields, but low armour.

I bought a few CCUs on the odd chance that she ends up being a fighter to contend with.

Amash-Akura

Admiral
Apr 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Amash-Akura
To use my 20% off code or not on a combo pack, that is the question... if I did am I able to melt just the defender until they made clear their full intentions for it? Or am I forced to melt the whole package?

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I guess Groot is Banu?

Again? Read the brochure!

1) Shields are Tevarin and have their invincible 1 face sort of deal where in 1 direction it is almost impenetrable. This is considered very good in Star Citizen since people who know what they are doing will be at a huge advantage since you can more that face around. These shields are not noob friendly.

2) Big target? It's 28m long, which is 2m longer than the Sabre and it's not nearly as wide, even with the 2 seats.

3) Low speed and maneuverability? Here's a quote from the brochure: "Lighter armor and heavier Tevarin shields keeps the fighter light and fast , which is ideal for quick maneuvering during combat ."

4) No missiles? The missiles are in the undercarriage as the brochure points out.

5) No armor!?!?! Yeah.... it's got no armor... you got that one right.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
To use my 20% off code or not one a combo pack, that is the question... if I did am I able to melt just the defender until they made clear their full intentions for it? Or am I forced to melt the whole package?
If you buy a package, you can upgrade individual ships in it. You CANNOT melt individual ships in. You must melt the entire package.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Damn. That's an advanced kitty. TEST pilot?
I believe the cat in question was signed by Drake Interplanetary a while back to design their next ship paint scheme and decals but I have seen absolutely no proof that she has done anything in that role...

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03

It actually only has 4 S3 gun mounts, and 2 S3 Missile mounts, the S3 gun mounts will come stock equipped with S2 Guns on S3 Gimbals, and the Missiles will have 2 S3 Double racks sporting 4 S2 Missiles most likely, just like pretty much all the fighters, even the hornet has S3 missile mounts, but they only mount the racks, so its an S3 rack that can carry 2 S2 missiles. they way they do the stats pages makes it really hard to properly understand what the ship will have.

But, based on the 3d Model, and the brochure, the defender will have what i stated above, now, it does have a crappy view, thats my #1 dislike, and im hoping it gets resolved, my #2 dislike is the Gimbals, for a 2 seater ship with a DEDICATED GUNNER SEAT! why why why would you put the gimbals INSIDE the ship, it severely limits the amount of movement they can achieve and in doing so limits the Gunners ability to do his job. #3 the view again, not only is it horrible from because of how the nacelles are straight and close in, but combining that with a Side-by-side cockpit config where the 2 seats are separated by 3-5 meters, and with no way to even see to the other side of the ship due to the big useless piece of metal that is the same height as the cockpits, it severely offsets and blocks the view for both positions, and i can see that causing problems also.

Overall, I think the Designers on this one did a terrible job on principle by not considering some of the most important points that this ship is supposed to be able to do based on how they described its role. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, and the idea of it, but there are Major flaws in the design that i cant justify getting rid of a ship i currently have let alone adding new funds just to "maybe" have it fixed in the future.

This guy explains everything really well, and even shows how bad this ship's view currently is, and suggests ways to fix it:

P.S. - I need more alcohol this was one long post.

Forgot your password?