Boxing Day Sale

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
So, we're just a few days out from the boxing day sale and Im sure many of you, like me have a shortlist of ships.

But how do we all actually feel about dropping the dough?

now, I should say Im not among the citizens who believe the whole 'if funding stops tomorrow we can still finish' statement, nor do I believe there is a big cash reserve still on hand. I consider it a duty to myself to stay informed on both sides of anything, especially where I have personal involvement - I don't do dogma, I do data.

This means I try to avoid stirring up trouble as far as possible but I ask questions when I have concerns and try to keep an open minded and realistic outlook as best I can. Naturally, this means I read all the stuff from he who shall not be named, I keep up with the sceptics on reddit etc.

Now I find myself a little [Concerned] ahead of the sale due to the number of entries and claims of payout in the refund threads.

I dont mind supporting the game but the idea that much of the initial money will now be spent, the game still has a long way to go - and now my donations may be used to pay back other backers instead of funding the project, leaving long term and committed backers like us holding the bill entirely if the game fails to ship...well that sets the 'bad decision imminent' alarm off in my brainbox.

even more so knowing backers like us could be paying back other backers during a period of uncertainty only for those same refunded backers to buy in again for much, much less once the risk passes and the game has shipped.

what do you guys think about all this? Anyone else hesitant to pull the money trigger? Or is it now more than ever important to rally round the project? What are you buying? Id love to hear it all.

Reactions: AstroSam

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Just wondering how many of those claims have evidence.

I do casually keep an eye of Smart and the like, one thing I notice is there is almost always a complete lack of proof. Half the things he says are clearly things made up to bait him.

People on the Internet lie... a lot

That being said, no plans to drop more money atm. I have spent as much as I'm happy to, I have little need for a bigger fleet right now. I may pick up some free ccus if I have the time to look through the store.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
Just wondering how many of those claims have evidence.

I do casually keep an eye of Smart and the like, one thing I notice is there is almost always a complete lack of proof. Half the things he says are clearly things made up to bait him.

People on the Internet lie... a lot

That being said, no plans to drop more money atm. I have spent as much as I'm happy to, I have little need for a bigger fleet right now. I may pick up some free ccus if I have the time to look through the store.
well, my concern isnt really about anything he has said. I consider the truth to fall in the middle of his diatribes and what Chris says. In the middle of the two is roughly. whats actually happening in my book.

but this worry comes from a reddit thread of users sharing their refund experiences.

not everyone shares proof when they claim a payout but creating a bunch of sock puppets filling a thread with pretended refunds is too nuts even for him.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I dropped waaaaay too much on the Anniversary sale to really think about dropping any more on this sale. I'm 95% fleet complete. I'm just using the sale to move some ships to my other packages and I'll be done. Honest. Maybe one more. NO! I'm done. Unless ships change... I'm kind of liking the Hornets more and more with the new cockpit layout, but I don't know if I should buy one or just rent it. I've decided that I'm undecided.

I don't think we have to worry about the funds going away. CR said that he had some investors ready to jump in in they get into a money crunch. If that happens, then we'll have something like a publisher but the game will still get done. CIG is almost done with their tools. The 3.x patches are for game mechanics. 4.0 is for an explosion of content with all of those tools. I'm not really worried since it's looking like 2019 may be a great year.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Firstly mentally in my head I do not want to spend anymore money on this game. (Note I do subscribe and do not count that).

I am kind of annoyed with the way I still do not know what to do about the Caterpillar. I.e. I want to finalise my fleet and spending but I cant until I know what modules will be on offer and then whether I prefer to dump the caterpillar or buy the modules (subject to cost). It is one of the reasons I was peeved with the brochure as they just haven't said.

I also have a polaris and judging by the my fleet list it is a ship we have plenty of but I do not really want anything else so think am stuck with it.

What I really lack currently is a ship to fly in AC which is somewhat competitive so I have a good chance to compete at least against the AI. I have completed VS with a cutlass on 2.4. The problem is I do not see myself as a hotshot combat pilot so only have the bucc as a single person combat ship in the game and its not ready yet.

If I CCU a ship in a pack can I then melt that ship or not because of the package? Otherwise I can ccu the bucc to something now and get that back later with an unmelt token.

I know its preferable for the game to be complete but after putting in 3k GBP I would be somewhat peeved if a developer came in now and wanted to make cash out of the game. I.e. if he cannot raise the cash up front what will they do to get it out of us later??

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Firstly mentally in my head I do not want to spend anymore money on this game. (Note I do subscribe and do not count that).

I am kind of annoyed with the way I still do not know what to do about the Caterpillar. I.e. I want to finalise my fleet and spending but I cant until I know what modules will be on offer and then whether I prefer to dump the caterpillar or buy the modules (subject to cost). It is one of the reasons I was peeved with the brochure as they just haven't said.

I also have a polaris and judging by the my fleet list it is a ship we have plenty of but I do not really want anything else so think am stuck with it.

What I really lack currently is a ship to fly in AC which is somewhat competitive so I have a good chance to compete at least against the AI. I have completed VS with a cutlass on 2.4. The problem is I do not see myself as a hotshot combat pilot so only have the bucc as a single person combat ship in the game and its not ready yet.

If I CCU a ship in a pack can I then melt that ship or not because of the package? Otherwise I can ccu the bucc to something now and get that back later with an unmelt token.

I know its preferable for the game to be complete but after putting in 3k GBP I would be somewhat peeved if a developer came in now and wanted to make cash out of the game. I.e. if he cannot raise the cash up front what will they do to get it out of us later??
I too share some of these concerns. The Caterpillar is a gambling ship right now. Will it be good later? Will it have the modules that I want? Should I just 'upgrade' to a Gemini and have a cargo ship with some real firepower. By not giving us a list of modules, CIG made it impossible to tell whether you should keep or CCU the Caterpillar. As for me, the choice was easy. I did both, as I had 2 Caterpillars. I kept 1 and CCUed the other to a Gemini. Probably not something that most people can do, but I worry about the future with the Caterpillar and the lack of modules. It is easily going o become an expensive ship :/

I too have a Polaris. If you are thinking about selling it, then don't. Keep it because it's the biggest Aurora we have and Auroras are the TEST signature ship for it is affordable by all and can come in mass numbers. So what if most of our Auroras are bigger and have 4 torpedo launchers? It's still a lovely RSI ship filled with struts that can easily crash into things. You'll thank me later.

I'm torn about having a competitive fighter as well. I love my Cutlass so much that I have more than 1. I was thinking about grabbing some Hornets because they look so good with the new cockpits in their redesign. I really like the Super Hornet and I find it much more controllable over the Sabre since I have a little bit slower reflexes than I used to and having a ship that can take a hit would benefit me a little more than having a faster fighter. Then I remember that the new Cutlass model will be out some time in the summer and I'll have that to go around the verse in. I'm a little torn, so I decided that I would rent ships in 2.6 and play them till I find one that I'll like. I'm just going to grab the CCU from Taurus to Super Hornet just in case during the sale. That way I can change my mind later.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I too share some of these concerns. The Caterpillar is a gambling ship right now. Will it be good later? Will it have the modules that I want? Should I just 'upgrade' to a Gemini and have a cargo ship with some real firepower. By not giving us a list of modules, CIG made it impossible to tell whether you should keep or CCU the Caterpillar. As for me, the choice was easy. I did both, as I had 2 Caterpillars. I kept 1 and CCUed the other to a Gemini. Probably not something that most people can do, but I worry about the future with the Caterpillar and the lack of modules. It is easily going o become an expensive ship :/

I too have a Polaris. If you are thinking about selling it, then don't. Keep it because it's the biggest Aurora we have and Auroras are the TEST signature ship for it is affordable by all and can come in mass numbers. So what if most of our Auroras are bigger and have 4 torpedo launchers? It's still a lovely RSI ship filled with struts that can easily crash into things. You'll thank me later.

I'm torn about having a competitive fighter as well. I love my Cutlass so much that I have more than 1. I was thinking about grabbing some Hornets because they look so good with the new cockpits in their redesign. I really like the Super Hornet and I find it much more controllable over the Sabre since I have a little bit slower reflexes than I used to and having a ship that can take a hit would benefit me a little more than having a faster fighter. Then I remember that the new Cutlass model will be out some time in the summer and I'll have that to go around the verse in. I'm a little torn, so I decided that I would rent ships in 2.6 and play them till I find one that I'll like. I'm just going to grab the CCU from Taurus to Super Hornet just in case during the sale. That way I can change my mind later.
I too am in love with the hornets.

I'm -><- THIS close to dropping cash to get a SH in the boxing day sale but the responsible adult klaxon is sounding for the first time in my life. Obviously, I am too sober.

My current fleet is a gemini and a Cat so all three of us are of the same mindset there - really fallen out of love with the gemini though. Mechanics arent there for it yet of course but even these early attempts at multicrew have been little fun in that ship. Will hold on for now because I believe it will be valuable from an ORG standpoint and a licence to print money once exploration is available.

Still, means I need a fighter to enjoy the game until then and the hornet is my favourite so far.

Also want an Aquila but 300 EUR feels bigger than it did three years ago.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I too am in love with the hornets.

I'm -><- THIS close to dropping cash to get a SH in the boxing day sale but the responsible adult klaxon is sounding for the first time in my life. Obviously, I am too sober.

My current fleet is a gemini and a Cat so all three of us are of the same mindset there - really fallen out of love with the gemini though. Mechanics arent there for it yet of course but even these early attempts at multicrew have been little fun in that ship. Will hold on for now because I believe it will be valuable from an ORG standpoint and a licence to print money once exploration is available.

Still, means I need a fighter to enjoy the game until then and the hornet is my favourite so far.

Also want an Aquila but 300 EUR feels bigger than it did three years ago.
Solution:
Drink 2 beers then think about your super hornet and how fun it will be to have an armored ship fly through the sector getting shot at but not caring.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I just spent $200 upgrading everything to an armada pack.

I've already picked up a Gemini to Carrack CCU to get that back, I've got a Retaliator to caterpillar CCU as I already had a caterpillar to Orion CCU in my hanger to get my Orion back.

That leaves me with the awful Vanguard to get rid of which is probably going to end up a BMM.

Its not even a case of justifying spending money, I really don't need anything.

I've literally got everything I could realistically want to do covered.
3 fighters, a torpedo ship, a dedicated explorer, a dedicated mining ship, a versatile capital ship a hauler in the BMM and a Herald.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
While concept sales happen any ship can and probably will still change so remain flexible. My hair has started to go grey waiting for the 300 series update pass (really it has, I'm now in my early 30's and was in my late 20's when the ship was first available).

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
One thing I will say guys is that for at least the next 6 months we are not gonna have anything other to do than shoot each other in fast fighter jets - so having just a starfarer and a cat for example in your hangar might be a tad boring for you as you can't use them as they were designed to be used. There's no fuel, there's no cargo, and multicrew/turrets etc is currently useless and completely unfinished.

It is for this exact reason that I melted my UEE exploration pack for now, and bought a sabre, super hornet, vanguard and a herald. I can now literally play those ships perfectly in the role they were designed over the next 6 months.

Once 3.0 drops ad cargo and mining and more multicrew stuff I may well then buy back my big ships. For now they will all stay in the melted pile.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Good good....let the money flow out of you.
You want this, don't you? The temptation is swelling in you now. Take your Credit Card. Use it. 0% interest for the first three months. Buy ships with it. Give in to your temptation. With each passing moment you make yourself more its servant.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
2.6 is improved enough that I feel able to open my wallet for this project again.

So hello Super Hornet. Also now wondering if a CCU from the Gemini I have no fun with to a Carrack that sounds fun in the future may be a good call.

Forgot your password?