Bounty Hunting Combat Fighter

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Since I fly very evasive, strafe, boost, it is hard to get a good solid aim. That's why I prefer repeaters. For short range I like to use Gatling guns.
I know you prefer fixed, but the Warden rotates too slow to be effective like that. Did you ever set up to use gimbals?

You sound like you'd be the perfect Sentinel pilot and that ship promises to be awesome in battle. When people learn what EM warfare is capable of they won't want to go into combat without a Sentinel, which is going to make it a priority target. Needs an evasive pilot.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I have flown the Warden. Fixed only. The Warden isn't a close quarters dog fighter. You really must plan your engagement, go to higher grounds when you get surrounded and hand pick your targets. The one in front of you is better then the closest which you try to get under your reticle.
Did you ever tried to fly a Warden with only one engine? That is really funny, I do it all the time, get one shot down and continue engaging with only one left :D

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have flown the Warden. Fixed only. The Warden isn't a close quarters dog fighter. You really must plan your engagement, go to higher grounds when you get surrounded and hand pick your targets. The one in front of you is better then the closest which you try to get under your reticle.
Did you ever tried to fly a Warden with only one engine? That is really funny, I do it all the time, get one shot down and continue engaging with only one left :D
I owned one for a while. I loved the way she flew and fought. A beast.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think you have to fly all the Vanguards with the main gun on gimbal for that BIG ASS DEATH GATLING to be effective. Gimbals should point faster than any ship can turn, so as long as your target is in view that gun is good, and it has awesome range. Might need a special setup to point very carefully while flying. Repeat after me--"the mouse is our friend, the mouse is our friend." I know why folks don't like gimbals. They're a lot of extra work to fly a ship and separately point a gimbal at the same time, but they put that ginormous gun on a swivel for a reason and it should be able to point faster than the nose of a Mustang. This might be a reason for a touchscreen gaming machine. Would also be interesting to find out if that gun can be slaved to the second seat. That would change everything.

For the 4 fixed S2's and the turret, I think if you have to point the entire, pretty slow ship, a slow weapon that hits very hard all at once is the key and for that, the Vanduul Plasma Cannons are the thing. We can steal them off pilfered Blades and such. They are shocking they hit so hard and if you put a 5th one in the top turret and leave it fixed forward, you are doing 3,600 DPS during those few seconds you're most vulnerable. It would take some checking but my guess is that is more firepower than a Redeemer, a Connie or even a Tally. Especially against big ships the Vanguards are all going to have a place.

No, not a dog-fighter, and harder to fly well than any dog-fighter, but devastating no matter which version and with the wings blown clear off she will keep on fighting with no significant consequences. And if you really want to pimp your ride, IMHO there is no better candidate for upgrading your control thrusters.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The 325A definitely is a zoom and boom fighter. When in close dogfight, you better turn your nose and look for a more distant target. Keeping fire distance is very important. Not too far away and definitely not too close. Use it's speed to evade incoming missiles and enemies, always apply strafe to not crash into targets when engaging. It took me some 45 minutes!!! to complete the VS alone while dogfighting with a zoom and boom fighter.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think you have to fly all the Vanguards with the main gun on gimbal for that BIG ASS DEATH GATLING to be effective. Gimbals should point faster than any ship can turn, so as long as your target is in view that gun is good, and it has awesome range. Might need a special setup to point very carefully while flying. Repeat after me--"the mouse is our friend, the mouse is our friend." I know why folks don't like gimbals. They're a lot of extra work to fly a ship and separately point a gimbal at the same time, but they put that ginormous gun on a swivel for a reason and it should be able to point faster than the nose of a Mustang. This might be a reason for a touchscreen gaming machine. Would also be interesting to find out if that gun can be slaved to the second seat. That would change everything.

For the 4 fixed S2's and the turret, I think if you have to point the entire, pretty slow ship, a slow weapon that hits very hard all at once is the key and for that, the Vanduul Plasma Cannons are the thing. We can steal them off pilfered Blades and such. They are shocking they hit so hard and if you put a 5th one in the top turret and leave it fixed forward, you are doing 3,600 DPS during those few seconds you're most vulnerable. It would take some checking but my guess is that is more firepower than a Redeemer, a Connie or even a Tally. Especially against big ships the Vanguards are all going to have a place.

No, not a dog-fighter, and harder to fly well than any dog-fighter, but devastating no matter which version and with the wings blown clear off she will keep on fighting with no significant consequences. And if you really want to pimp your ride, IMHO there is no better candidate for upgrading your control thrusters.
Yeah, I actually enjoyed flying her. Quite a bit. I never went PVP, but in VS she was a beast. And yes, you're very right. Once that turret is slave-able...all the DaKka daKKA

We'll have to see how the Hurricane stacks up when she hits the market. Almost thinking she'll be the other reveal tomorrow, along with the Terrepin

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Yeah, I actually enjoyed flying her. Quite a bit. I never went PVP, but in VS she was a beast. And yes, you're very right. Once that turret is slave-able...all the DaKka daKKA

We'll have to see how the Hurricane stacks up when she hits the market. Almost thinking she'll be the other reveal tomorrow, along with the Terrepin
And I thought that the Redeemer was the last ship on my list.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Finally I found a Sabre killer, but only if the Sabre pilot cooperates and tries to dogfight. The Gladius is more agile than a Sabre, but lacks the firepower. Just like the Sabre the Gladius excels in boom and zoom. The Hornet and Super Hornet have enough firepower but are too slow and lack agility, maybe gimbals will make up for the lack of agility.
The Delta has enough firepower with 4 Badgers and 2 Longswords, is more agile than a Sabre but lacks the speed, however, if the Sabre tries to run away and the Delta stays on its tail, battering the Sabre with its badgers, then it makes a fighting chance, forcing the Sabre to fight by the Deltas rules. If the Avenger can use its Tigerstreik at its full potential, then it also can do some good damage, although its 2 Badgers are on the light side and manoeuvring the Avenger requires allot boost to stay agile.

Your main focus must be: keep battering the Sabre with laser repeaters so it must stay on the move and can't take a good aim. Use ballistics to bypass the insane shields. 2 longswords or a Tigerstreik may not be enough to go against a Hornet, but they can do damage to a Sabre.

Reactions: StdDev and DeepDrum

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
parts of this thread have really sold me on the vanguard.. Waiting to see how dangerous the buccaneer is though, I get a feeling that ship will be something special.
The Vanguard is a beast, like my Delta it has 4 S2 guns. The Delta has 4 laser repeaters, the Vanguard has 4 laser cannons. The position of those laser cannons make it more deadly.
They are completely opposite, the Delta is light armoured, and very agile, the Vanguard is a tank and sluggish. I think that the Buccaneer will be light armoured, fast, allot firepower but not very agile.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I really love the hornet, especially the ghost but the stock loadout does feel pretty toothless. Ive been enjoying gimbals on the wing paired with a fixed underslung gatling but its still fairly ineffective compared to other pilots I see around. Id been toying with the idea of the sabre or the vanguard but was waiting to learn a bit more.

I love the hornet because it can take a spanking and stay in the fight, Im not a great pilot and so will be getting hit. Hopefully the vanguard is a good fit for that kinda pilot.

That aside, I see my primary contribution to TEST being dropping marines. Again quite a tanky sort of style where you kinda stay the course and absorb the hits while remaining focussed on an objective.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
You really should try 3 fixed Broadswords and a Revenant. Are you a mouse or flightstick fighter? The big disadvantage of flightstick is aim, you must aim with your ship which is slower / not so accurate than aiming with mouse. The big advantage is manoeuvrability. You move your ship to aim so you don't have to concentrate on aiming and separate manoeuvring, it is one action.
With flightstick I would recommend repeaters or fast firing ballistics. With mouse you can use cannons more effectively.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
Im a mouse pilot. I have a HOTAS, but feel way more effective with the mouse..plus it takes me back to my Freelancer days.

I get your point though, by having the fixed gatling and the gimballed wing mounts Im compromising in both areas somewhat.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Im a mouse pilot. I have a HOTAS, but feel way more effective with the mouse..plus it takes me back to my Freelancer days.
Combat HOSAS, PU HOTAS, I can imagine that mouse is more effective with aiming, but I can't fly with mouse. That also was the thing which I didn't like about Freelancer.

Reactions: StdDev and DeepDrum
Forgot your password?