Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Scotland: Remote parts of the country seeing property sales boom as people try to escape cities and urban areas.
Heck yeah... WHO is responsible, in my mind, for destroying the urban zones... I would not like to live in a building where 300 people breathe the same air. NYC will never recover, due to technology and work from home. This epidemic proved that, and the WHO destroyed the city (NYC) they call home. Ironic?

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
- Scotland: Remote parts of the country seeing property sales boom as people try to escape cities and urban areas.

If I didn't have family keeping me here in the states, and it wasn't so hard to immigrate I would buy a house in Scotland in a heartbeat.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My son in law worked with a colleague for a week, the the colleague tested positive and is now in quarantine. My son in law has tested negative so far.

This week, we had to go to Austin Tx to get out of the way of a hurricane. Saw a lot of people wearing masks, compared with the area around Houston. It was encouraging to see. Everything smells of weed though. Take a deep breath, and you found yourself digging for a snack.

Returned home to find that nothing bad happened to our house or the neighborhood - only a few branches and some misc. trash blew around. The storm turned away from us at near the last minute.

Say a prayer if you do that, or just spare a thought for the thousands of people who were in the path of that thing.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Friday 28th of August:

- World: 24,554,491 confirmed cases with 833,318 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Cases apparently leveling off, as daily increase at 1,276 which is 246 down from the day before.

- Canada: Extends the ban on most incoming international travelers to September 30th.

- UK: Government to begin advertising offensive to nudge people working from home back in to the office as warnings are raised that city centers could become ghost towns if workplaces do not refill their desks, insisting that some things were "impossible to do remotely"... Like passing COVID-19 around the workforce, presumably.

- Scotland: First Minister (prime minister) of Scotland assures and insists that no one will be bullied back into the workplace and workers are well within their rights not to return to close proximity office spaces until it is safe to do so.

- France: At 7,379 new daily cases it's the worst day since the end of lockdown and getting precariously close to the countries previous high.

- Hungary: To close boarders from the 1st of September.

- Japan: Prime Minister resigns amid health concerns and biggest financial slump in on record caused by the pandemic.

- India: Highest yet one day confirmed cases tally at 77,266.

- China: Reports 9 new COVID cases, with no new local transmission, the 12th day in a row with no new domestic cases.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Seems like we in Hungary are going into a second lockdown as of September 1st. Seeing the cases rising all around us, it seems sensible.

Borders will be closed, stricter mask regulations, but no regulations on movement inside the country yet. Some rules like "no gatherings larger then X ppl" are still in effect and were never lifted.
Funny that they announced this now, right after the political elite got back from yachting and beech vacations abroad....
Those who are abroad and will be coming home after Sept 1st will have to produce two negative tests, out of their own pockets (it was payed by tax money last time), or face a 14 day quarantine.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Saturday 29th of August:

- World: 24,812,440 confirmed cases and 838,704 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Leaked UK Government report estimates 85,000 winter COVID deaths in a "reasonable worst-case scenario".

- US: Wedding reception involving 65 people in Maine on 7th of August, which broke state gathering rules capping groups to 50, has been connected to 123 COVID-19 cases and counting, the spread having been tracked passing from there to places including a Nursing Home and a Prison. The venue had its license temporarily suspended, and the owner stated "Our hearts go out to... those affected by the virus who were at the wedding, and those who have been impacted since then."

- Europe: Multiple countries continue to see strong increasing case numbers.

- Germany: Police in Berlin instruct 18,000 COVID-19 restriction protesters to disperse

- UK/France: Similar protests to the Berlin one happen in London and Paris where placards promoting conspiracy theories and the antivaxx movement are spotted.

- UK: Teachers and Head Teachers criticize Government as guidance on how to proceed with complications of local lockdown and what to do if a case is discovered in a school alter and arrive last minute. The general secretary of the National Education Union said it should have been received “months ago”.

- South Korea: Health Ministry warns Hospital capacity is nearing dangerously low levels with only 4.5% left in the greater Seoul area.

- Saudi Arabia: Public Sector workers due to return to work tomorrow as lockdown restrictions eased.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 30th of August:

- World: 25,068,606 confirmed cases and 843,826 confirmed deaths.

- US: Financial Times reports the head of the US Food and Drug Administration is willing to fast-track a Covid-19 vaccine as quickly as possible before phase 3 trials are complete.

- UK: Police forced to launch a significant operation as a Rave in south wales attracts 3,000 silly bastards, blasting the 30 person cap out of the water with a percentage increase of 9,900%

- US: New York State Governor Andrew Como criticizes President Trumps handling of the pandemic on Twitter, saying he is "still in denial mode / Don't test and if we can't find the cases — they don’t exist. / Great, then let's cure cancer by stopping screenings. / Absurd!".

- UK: All passengers on flight 6215 from Zante, Greece to Cardiff, Wales on Tuesday have been told to quarantine as COVID-19 was aboard the flight and 7 passengers have now tested positive.

- Indonesia: The country discovers a previously unseen in the country "milder but more infectious" mutation D614G of COVID-19 in its samples. The WHO says the strain was identified in February and has been circulating in Europe and the Americas, has also been found in neighboring Singapore and Malaysia.

- Germany: Berlins anti-Covid restriction demonstration while mostly peaceful had a stand-out incident a rouge group of several hundred hard-right protesters stormed the Reichstag, Germanys parliament/congress building.

- UK: Over 1000 people contact-traced and tested following a COVID outbreak at a bingo night results in 16 confirmed cases in Newcastle.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
That's me on my first day back at work lol.

View attachment 18420
Congrats on getting back to work. Im sure the whole crew is relieved that its back.

I was a few km north of you yesterday at a mall, EVERY SINGLE PERSON was wearing a mask. I was really impressed.

I would think that the relatively low numbers in the area would have people more relaxed, but this is why numbers are low, everybody is taking precautions.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Congrats on getting back to work. Im sure the whole crew is relieved that its back.

I was a few km north of you yesterday at a mall, EVERY SINGLE PERSON was wearing a mask. I was really impressed.

I would think that the relatively low numbers in the area would have people more relaxed, but this is why numbers are low, everybody is taking precautions.
Thanks!

Yeah glad to be back. This production is definitely going above and beyond when it comes to precautions though. I'm not even allowed to open the shuttle doors to get in and out. The drivers open the doors for us, feels like I'm traveling with a Limo driver haha. Precautions are justified though. If even one of us gets it, that's another 2 week shut down. They really can't afford that since they've been shut down since March.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 30th of August:

- World: 25,068,606 confirmed cases and 843,826 confirmed deaths.

- US: Financial Times reports the head of the US Food and Drug Administration is willing to fast-track a Covid-19 vaccine as quickly as possible before phase 3 trials are complete.

- UK: Police forced to launch a significant operation as a Rave in south wales attracts 3,000 silly bastards, blasting the 30 person cap out of the water with a percentage increase of 9,900%

- US: New York State Governor Andrew Como criticizes President Trumps handling of the pandemic on Twitter, saying he is "still in denial mode / Don't test and if we can't find the cases — they don’t exist. / Great, then let's cure cancer by stopping screenings. / Absurd!".

- UK: All passengers on flight 6215 from Zante, Greece to Cardiff, Wales on Tuesday have been told to quarantine as COVID-19 was aboard the flight and 7 passengers have now tested positive.

- Indonesia: The country discovers a previously unseen in the country "milder but more infectious" mutation D614G of COVID-19 in its samples. The WHO says the strain was identified in February and has been circulating in Europe and the Americas, has also been found in neighboring Singapore and Malaysia.

- Germany: Berlins anti-Covid restriction demonstration while mostly peaceful had a stand-out incident a rouge group of several hundred hard-right protesters stormed the Reichstag, Germanys parliament/congress building.

- UK: Over 1000 people contact-traced and tested following a COVID outbreak at a bingo night results in 16 confirmed cases in Newcastle.
Looking at these news, I'm starting to think the UK is becoming the new Florida. "3000 Florida man gather for rave" wouldn't sound that surprising, but UK? lol

@Aramsolari looking cool in those shades! Glad to see your back at work, stay safe! Any hints as to what that set is, wink wink nudge nudge?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Looking at these news, I'm starting to think the UK is becoming the new Florida. "3000 Florida man gather for rave" wouldn't sound that surprising, but UK? lol
It's never been 100% clear to the population if the UK government ever gave up on Herd Immunity considering it was the initial reaction which made the foundation of the heinous timeline seen so far. It was made even muddier, after having hailed it as the way forward at the beginning, suddenly flipping it around when it became clear it would result in hundreds of thousands of premature deaths and saying it was never a consideration in the first damn place. Yeah Sweden also said it was never on the table then official emails came to light asking what an acceptable fatality rate in the elderly would be to attain Herd Immunity.... and with one of the UK governments senior staff taking his wife and child to the other end of the country to spread it about there - there is no documented evidence however it is recorded that an ambulance crew attended their quarantine building and members of their group also went to the local hospital for a night, it was a perfect oppertunity to take something ravaging London and spread it across the country. In honesty, we don't know and probably never will, but a 3000 person rave seems to be something made in the model of an agenda perusing the delusion that Herd Immunity is still attainable despite evidence coming to light that long term immunity is not a thing as people are beginning to contract COVID again months after recovering.

Added to that there appears to be a raging stonk-on for the "Nudge Theory" of behavioral science in the upper echelons of UK government, which states a population can be influenced follow an agenda not by making it mandatory, but by making that choice look the most attractive by making all other choices look like they have been rubbed with a turd on a stick, but sadly not taking into account that a large part of the population has stopped listening not only to the message they are trying to nudge them with but all the other messages that have received a brush with the smelly stick, too. When no one is listening a Nudge attempt is no more effective than tying a loaf of bread to your head and screaming at crows. What's that maniac with bread on his head screaming about? Dunno, don't care, leave him to it and get on with what I'm getting on with.

As for the Rave, It's mostly the young who if they do get it have a low-to-no risk of death. No one thinks they'll be the 3 in a hundred cases taking the big sleep, not taking the time to think the more the virus circulates the more it mutates the more chances it has to turn in to something like Ebola which has a 50% fatality rate. Okay, it's unlikely ever to turn into something like bad as Ebola but it makes my point - while Nero fiddles with his instrument of popular control the embers of Rome 'aint getting any dimmer, because a Virus does not have the ability to pander to or pall at party politics. It just keeps on keepin' on.

If COVID-19 is the "Irresistible Force" and Politics the "Immovable Object", Politics suddenly finds itself out of its depth as the tide rolls in and simply smothers something which previously seemed to have so much control and it found, actually, to have as much ability to control the situation as King Canute had in his attempt at holding back the sea.

That's how it look from the cheap seats in the UK anyway. Is any of the above correct? I dunno, but I do note the guy with the loaf of bread tied to his head hasn't even taken the time to take the loaf out of the plastic wrapper.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 31st of August:

- US: Confirmed cases pass 6 million.

- World: 25,300,289 confirmed cases and 847,400 confirmed deaths.

- World: WHO says 90% of countries have had regular health services disrupted by the pandemic putting advancements at risk.

- UK: Number of confirmed cases from flight reported yesterday which was carrying COVID-19 raises from 7 to 16. There were 200 people on that plane so expectations are that number will only raise.

- UK: Organizers of the 3000 strong rave have been hit with the maximum £10,000 fine which was bought in recently for gatherings which brake COVID regulations.

- India: Economy contracts by 23.9%, the worst in decades.

- UK: The "Eat Out To Help Out" scheme ended today. No up to the moment numbers, however in the first three weeks the discounting had been used 64 million times.

- Norway: An illegal Rave attended by 200 people in Oslo is discovered after the attendees suffer carbon monoxide poisoning. The event was only discovered when a police patrol stumbled upon a group of confused young people (suffering the effects of the poisoning) and were directed to the cave where unconscious victims were discovered. 25 people have been admitted to hospital where 5 are in critical condition. It is suspected the generators used to power the event may have been responsible for the gasses.

- UK: Government found to have paid Social Media Influencers undisclosed amounts to promote Track And Trace system. In line with rules on advertising, the infuencers uploaded posts marked as ads, which contained hash tags #gettested and #letsgetback (to normal, i assume...?). As @Montoya is an Influencer I'm sure he can tell us how much they paid him.

- Australia: The days death toll of 41 souls were all from Victoria.

- New Zealand: Reports 5 new community transmitted cases, all of which are linked to the Auckland Cluster.

- UAE: Sees worst day in two months at over 500 new cases.

Last edited:

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
On that mortality number, of those 41 deaths announced on Monday, only eight of them occurred within the previous 24 hours, with another 33 cases added to the tally since late July following changes in reporting obligations for aged care services in August.

Monday saw 73 new cases, down from the 114 we had recorded on Sunday. Our graph looks like this.

AA4CB12E-CBD0-4F07-8BDC-EB224A96850D.jpeg

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
On that mortality number, of those 41 deaths announced on Monday, only eight of them occurred within the previous 24 hours, with another 33 cases added to the tally since late July following changes in reporting obligations for aged care services in August.

Monday saw 73 new cases, down from the 114 we had recorded on Sunday. Our graph looks like this.

View attachment 18447
Thanks for the Info, August - reports on a news-feed are okay but there is nothing like eyes on the ground to get to the meat of the details. :like:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Tuesday 1st of September:

- World: 25,559,850 confirmed cases and 852,109 confirmed deaths.

- Russia: Confirmed cases pass 1 million.

- Scotland: Parts of Glasgow and parts of west Scotland back in lockdown restrictions as cases spike, including limitations on visiting other households, apparently effecting 15% of the Scottish population.

- UK/Portugal: After government mulls adding Portugal to Quarantine list, tickets back to Blighty sell out fast even though it has not yet been confirmed.

- Greece: School reopenings are canceled as cases increase.

- UK: Promising Oxford University vaccine enters final stage of its phase 3 testing.

- WHO: Director General of the World Health Organisation has said of the opinion that early deaths of the elderly (and in association people who would have "died anyway" who had other conditions): "Accepting someone to die because of age is moral bankruptcy at its highest, and we shouldn’t allow our society to behave this way."

- Australia: Former Prime Minister Tony Abbot suggests that trying to save all lives of those afflicted with COVID-19 was a "health dictatorship" and that families should consider letting elderly relatives die by letting nature take its course, stating treatment to recovery is costing $200,000 per patient which for those of advanced age to only expect a few more years is economically unviable. At the age of 63, it's unclear if he wishes for this to be applied to himself when he reaches Pension age in two years time, if nature takes its course and visits him with conditions such as Diabetes, Flu, heart disease, COVID-19 etc etc etc.

- China: Research finds one asymptomatic person on a bus in the country infected 23 other people on a 50 minute ride. The case was from before masks were made widespread, and the infected were from positions seated all throughout the bus, indicating that air currents in poorly ventilated areas and recirculating air conditioning can assist in the transmission of COVID beyond the 1/2 meter limit and from people simply breathing, in contrary to the belief that it required the heavy respiratory droplets of coughs and sneezes or even the small droplets from talking, to spread from person to person which could not travel very far.

- France: Masks made mandatory in all shared, enclosed work spaces from today.

- Hungary: As indicated, has closed its boarders with restrictions reportedly harsher than those in place during the original lockdown.

- Cuba: Havana placed in lockdown for the next 15 days to stamp out a low level but persistent simmering COVID-19 spread.

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Wednesday 2nd of September:

- World: 25,835,301 confirmed cases and 858,661 confirmed deaths.

- US: Rejects world coalition "Covax", which is a coalation of 172 countries which have signed up to an agreement to share equally any potential vaccine eventually found by buying 2 billion doses in 2021 for distribution fairly across the globe. The concern is if the richest countries do not agree and play by the spirit of the agreement, their money may be able to buy ALL off the worlds supply to treat their citizens first. The USA has a track record of this, having bought the words entire supply of Remdesivir for a solid 3 months at the end of June.

- World: Previous small trial findings that steroid dexamethasone improved surviveability of severe COVID infection confirmed by major global studies, which also find another steroid called hydrocortisone is just as effective. It was stressed that this didn't cure COVID, it improved a serverely sick persons chances by about 25%, taking fatality rates from 40% to 32% so although not a magic bullet a definite improvement on previous.

- Iceland: Study of 30,000 finds antibodies in recovered people remain for up to 4 months, much longer than other studies have suggested.

- Canada: Chief Medical Officer says the of transmission risk during physical relations in the pandemic is similar to any action which involves being close to another person, not to kiss, and to wear masks while fornicating to reduce the risk of catching COVID-19. Goes on to advise solo self pleasuring is by far the safest course of sexual satisfaction action during the pandemic.

- UK: Schools fully reopen with millions returning to classes.

- US: Trials of Oxford University vaccine start in America with 31 people. One of whom, Jacob Serrano, has lost 7 members of his family to COVID-19.

- Uzbekistan: Holds examinations outdoors to be able to give students best chance at attaining university places.

- Hong Kong: Restrictions eased as cases ebb.

- South Korea: Cases surge in the elderly leading to a spike in critically ill cases.

- Germany: Following legal complaints of a politician using the term "Covidiots" on Twitter in relation to the lockdown protestors, prosecutors have dismissed the case meaning that legally "Covidiot" has been ruled as a legally definable term to describe a lockdown protestor.

- Peru: Eight professional Clowns are arrested as they perform at the wake of a recently deceased colleague, for breaking group gathering rules. They apparently said they just wanted to pay their respects.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?