Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
Update from Poland.

1st casualty, 56 year old, who had other conditions (unspecified) that required taking immunosuppressant drugs (probably transplanted organ).
Total 49 confirmed cases, 16 new just today.

Government introduced state of epidemic emergency, closing schools, sport events, churches and other public gatherings.
They are working on bill to suspend repayment of mortgages and loans for few months.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Woah, have they all already been used up?
It is the me first mentality that exists around the globe. People who have the slightest sneeze, cough, runny nose - in the middle of a normal flu season magnified by spring with the allergies.

If you are not old and do not have confirmed exposure... you SHOULD NOT be getting a test. Let the elderly get it first... they have said a million times, kids and younger adults without other medical conditions are not at risk - if they are exposed they'll be fine.

But a healthy 20 year old should not be the first one in the doctors office, clogging up the system - overloading the labs, and preventing people from who are really at risk from getting the treatment they need.

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Yup, if you are young and healthy, but feel like you got the flu, just stay home. No need to rush out and get tested if you are not an at risk demographic.

However, if you start coughing uncontrollably, or have trouble breathing, you will require medical attention, get that shit checked out!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It is the me first mentality that exists around the globe. People who have the slightest sneeze, cough, runny nose - in the middle of a normal flu season magnified by spring with the allergies.

If you are not old and do not have confirmed exposure... you SHOULD NOT be getting a test. Let the elderly get it first... they have said a million times, kids and younger adults without other medical conditions are not at risk - if they are exposed they'll be fine.

But a healthy 20 year old should not be the first one in the doctors office, clogging up the system - overloading the labs, and preventing people from who are really at risk from getting the treatment they need.

I'm not even sure I'd say the elderly should be tested. I would save the tests for those who could be exposing the elderly or those in the medical community so that they know if they are infected or not and thus limit their spreading it to those who would be most impacted by it.

Knowing or not knowing doesn't have much of an impact on the vast majority of people's outcome as if its the flu or corona the actions are pretty much the same. Take time off rest and stay hydrated. Few will have complications and need medical assistance and then I'd leave it up to the doctor to use the tools they deem appropriate.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Woah, have they all already been used up?
No, they are not being manufactured fast enough in the US, for some reason. Check out the numbers of tests given:
Tests-March-10.png

see also:

EDIT: Just saw this, seems to sum up the current lack of testing situation in the US very well:

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

I'd agree with you if I hadn't found the US had 75,000 kits on the 6th of March and only 10k tests had been used since the
No, they are not being manufactured fast enough in the US, for some reason. Check out the numbers of tests given:
View attachment 15177
see also:
I went a-googling, there's some stuff about the tests needing approval and there were apparently 75k available on the 6th March which is a drop in the bucket compared to the 300+ million population of the US.

EDIT - Aha interesting info in that link you provided, especially on the article/s it links to, I had assumed it was a small number of tests to go round but it seems a lot more complicated than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here's another good source of info, the article author (who has a Ph.D. in Microbiology) compiles a daily update.
Trigger warning: Do not click link if you do not believe in experts, lol

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My kids are on break from tomorrow.

Feels like a close call.
Ontario is closing all public schools after spring break (next week) for an additional two weeks. It'll be hell on parents who have to either find childcare (added expense) or stay home from work (lose of income). But at least the gov is starting to fucking do something to protect people.

Forgot your password?