Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Kale baked in the oven until crispy, seasoned with some salt, is actually a pretty good snack.
It really is actually! Must get some Kale on the way home after I get Scotch and Whiskey.
Okay, I thought Kale was basically posh lettuce... You can cook lettuce now?

You guys are having me on!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
No clue, it was the food that popped up on a google search of healthy foods. It looked green and unedible so I figured it was a good example.
And That, my friend, is why you keep safe search ON!

Side effect of all schools and university closing in France starting next week : a massive rush on the stores today. You need to feed those kids at home now.
Kinda the same here in Hungary, again all the hand sanitizers, loo rolls, canned food and grains were scooped up, although it's just universities closed yet (schools and kindergartens are allowed to stay open if they wanna).
I overheard someone at the store asking about a specific sanitizer product, and the clerk told em that they receive 20 pieces every morning, and someone comes in just as the store opens and takes all of it.
I'm guessing all of it is already up for sale on a website for a ridiculous price.

Been walking the kid yesterday and saw a huge line at the pharmacy, I guess a lot of ppl just realized that all of their meds at home are past their best before dates.

Also there is a rumor going around in the media that we got our first patient who got better, so it's not all doom and gloom.
This reminds me, Doom Eternal is out next Friday, yay!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ok, now I'm salty AF. Corona finally impacted me. I finally got selected to be a background actor for a major cable tv pilot. Was supposed to go for fitting today and filming on Monday, but of course all production is now shut down. FML.
That sucks. Our office just got told we are now working form home until further notice.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ok, now I'm salty AF. Corona finally impacted me. I finally got selected to be a background actor for a major cable tv pilot. Was supposed to go for fitting today and filming on Monday, but of course all production is now shut down. FML.
Sit tight dude, it'll be worth the wait when production ramps back up :like:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
In case you need Kale chip advice :P

Yeah, they are shipping all of us home to work from our desks for the foreseeable future. At least April.
yeah, my company has said everyone does WFH until end of april. People like our receptionist has been assigned to work with our admin group to organize all the new webex meetings, facilities people are in charge of organizing a deep clean/sanitizing of facilities, etc. so no layoffs..

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah, the major issue for nurses with kids is that if your kids are home and there is nobody to watch over them, you have to stay home.
Yeah man. This is our situation. Thank fuck I'm in the military and the CAF basically just told all non-essential personnel to go home for the next 3 weeks (and I was already on post-tour leave. FML). But I have no idea how others who work in health care are managing it.
UK not closing schools as "The scientific advice is that this could do more harm than good at this time..."

Tell you what, I'd love to see the scientific research that says postponing daily gatherings of in some schools many thousands of individuals would increase the virus transmission rate 🤔

Suspending large public gatherings has also been shied away from at this point. They went on to say "The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread - but it does place a burden on other public services" however I am not sure how this equates to delaying the spread of a contagion until it can be contained and combated in summer months?

I'm just a layman here, anyone got any ideas what the plan is there?
Jesus, Canada went completely the opposite: social distancing is a huge past of flattening the curve. People in 6 months to a year will be saying things like, "that wasn't so bad" because of the measures being taken now to reduce the burden on the healthcare system.

That means any doctors, nurses, researchers with kids are no longer available to support.
Yup.
Tell more about the kale?

Is it organic?
And gluten free!
While people raided the hand sanitizer and toilet paper at Costco today my Wife raided the alcohol section and managed 4 bottles of their Vodka. I need to get some emergency provisions on my way home in the form of Scotch and Whiskey.

The panic is humorous at best, definitely makes me wonder if life is better with average intelligence. Yeah we need to take this seriously, but it's not a panic worthy event. I want to thank all the people of "average intelligence" in Colorado who raided the shelves of toilet paper and bottled water, but left the medicine shelves virtually un-touched. To the cunt who took 40 bottles of hydrogen peroxide, I hope the cops stopped you from buying it all, we just wanted 2.
Haha, the panic buying is in full effect. I got beer, we bought some normal groceries, and settled down at home to catch up on some shows. Maybe go for a hike or two in the wilderness, haha.
Side effect of all schools and university closing in France starting next week : a massive rush on the stores today. You need to feed those kids at home now.
Today was fucking nuts where I live for food etc. People are scared and acting like idiots.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
North Carolina Governor has issued an executive order to shut down k-12 schools for two weeks starting Monday the 16th, and to also ban gatherings of 100 or more people.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Rumors in the wind the UK is about to restrict large gatherings.

Also fatalities have doubled to just over 20 in the past 24 hours and confirmed cases now at 1,140 but they are only testing people who go to hospital, not people who self isolate as is the recommendation if you develop any of the symptoms.

Also, 229 scientists call bullshit on the Heard Immunity theory the initial management strategy had apparently been based on: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

I saw another article that points out a big thing about Herd Immunity is that it a feature of vaccinations where near to 100% of a population are given immunity by exposure to a deactivated pathogen in a quick and broad application, then with an ongoing coverage of immunizing persons who have not yet been exposed who themselves are defended from the illness until they can be given the vaccination by herd immunity.

Just letting an illness stroll through a population isn't going to create herd immunity. Examples of conditions that have not been contained by natural herd immunity: The Common Cold, Flu. Examples of illnesses that were not managed by natural herd immunity but were by vaccines which then created herd immunity: Polio, Smallpox.

Last edited:

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Watching the news, I see some disturbing behavior, but expected. Folks, try not to be part of the problem, do your shopping early morning or late at night (my preference). Walmart, Kingsoopers and others have order via the internet. You schedule a pickup time and they come out to your car.

My wife was telling me to go to the store today, I told her no and to use the King Soopers service. Because of the demand I have a 3pm pickup on Monday. I might have to wait two days but at least I do not have to go into the store with the mob.

Use local services to get what you need and do not become part of the problem.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Rumors in the wind the UK is about to restrict large gatherings.

Also fatalities have doubled to just over 20 in the past 24 hours and confirmed cases now at 1,140 but they are only testing people who go to hospital, not people who self isolate as is the recommendation if you develop any of the symptoms.

Also, 229 scientists call bullshit on the Heard Immunity theory the initial management strategy had apparently been based on: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

I saw another article that points out a big thing about Herd Immunity is that it a feature of vaccinations where near to 100% of a population are given immunity by exposure to a deactivated pathogen in a quick and broad application, then with an ongoing coverage of immunizing persons who have not yet been exposed who themselves are defended from the illness until they can be given the vaccination by herd immunity.

Just letting an illness stroll through a population isn't going to create herd immunity. Examples of conditions that have not been contained by natural herd immunity: The Common Cold, Flu. Examples of illnesses that were not managed by natural herd immunity but were by vaccines which then created herd immunity: Polio, Smallpox.
That's a stupid fucking government right there. Are they trying to turn the UK into Italy? Canada will most likely flatten the curve enough to (hopefully) let the healthcare system keep up. Good luck if your government thinks that they're going to build herd immunity by letting everyone get sick. Egad.

Forgot your password?