Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Well, I ended up in an ambulance on friday for the absolute worst panic attack I have ever experienced
You ok? What triggered that?

The nurses when asked if they have had a lot of covid patients, the response was "not really".
Well, that is great news!

It means people are taking precautions and not ending up in the ER.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
@NaffNaffBobFace I just have to say again and I'm sure I speak for everyone, you are doing amazing work and I appreciate the constant updates.
No problem dude, I'm only copying what I'm reading so no hassle at all. Looks like a mountain peak to crest with Winter in the way, then a nice easy down hill from there with vaccine rollout into spring and 2021 👍

Hope you're feeling okay, and thanks for the update, good to hear your local medical facilities are doing well 🙂

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
You ok? What triggered that?
You're gonna laugh, but it was bad weed from a friend. Good people, had some extra pot and gave it to me for free. I thought they got it from a dispensary, turns out they got it from a friend. The ER docs said it either probably had something synthetic in it as the urinalysis came back negative aside from cannabis, or it was just really strong shit. Ive been having problems sleeping and my schedule has been all out of whack. Smoked in the morning and next thing you know my heart rate spiked to 170, my BP was 185/104, I couldn't form sentences without stuttering over a single word for several seconds and I was shaking / shivering so bad my muscles were sore. Scared the living hell out of me, I couldn't think straight on top of it all. I wasn't high, I just had this feeling of terror come over me. Never called an ambulance for myself in my life. Needless to say, I'm not smoking anymore, I'll figure something else out. Just like tequila, you love it until you have that one night with it.

Well, that is great news!

It means people are taking precautions and not ending up in the ER.

It really is. I just find it so odd man, what im being told does not reflect the reality around me.

Hope you're feeling okay, and thanks for the update, good to hear your local medical facilities are doing well 🙂
Thanks man. Hopefully this is my last visit to the ER for a while, for myself or family. It's been one hell of a year.

Reactions: Vavrik

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Yeah... maybe in the beginning.., but now, with 250,000 dead, I am happily marginalizing every twat out there with a different perspective. The numbers are in. The different perspective crowd is FUCKING WRONG!
Lol... yeah... news flash... people die everyday, they die of cancer, car accents, pedestrian accident, all kinds of stuff. People die, its what we do. According to your logic, we should outlaw food, because it contributes to heart disease. When are people going to understand, it is no different than cancer or heart disease... it is a FUCKING DISEASE\VIRUS. COVID19 is an excuse for power, it is a FUCKING VIRUS... you can't reason with it.

Of the people who died due to covid19 this year... how many do you think would have died from cancer or heart disease this year, if covid19 was not here, smarty pants. You FUCKING don't know, because it is a disease, not a nuke, not a war, not a crack OD.

Data are for the U.S.
  • Death rate: 867.8 deaths per 100,000 population
Source: National Vital Statistics System – Mortality Data (2018) via CDC WONDER

• Number of deaths: 2,839,205
  • Life expectancy: 78.7 years
  • Infant Mortality rate: 5.66 deaths per 1,000 live births
Source: Mortality in the United States, 2018, data tables for figures 1, 2, and 4
Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
  • Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,274
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 147,810
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 122,019
  • Diabetes: 84,946
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 59,120
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 51,386
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 48,344
Source: Mortality in the United States, 2018, data table for figure 2

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
No one except for, you know, doctors, scientists and healthcare workers that are dealing with it every fucking day!
We all deal with it every day... the front lines deal with a lot of things, like, you know car accidents. Normal people do not have a choice because one side is ramming it down the throats of the other... that is why this virus is so bad, not only the death, but the distrust between family and friends it sows. As bad as it is it is still not worse than cancer or heart disease... for some reason you choose to accept those problems.

If 10 scientists tell me the earth is a sphere, and one tells me its flat.. there is no "both sides". Fuck the guy who says its flat.
I am not sure where you get the flat earth crap... there are people who worship trees... and I am pretty sure there is a scientist in the group. So you are interested in philosophy huh, please explain how you know you actually exist (flesh and blood)? Are you crazy because you think you exist? I don't know... that is for you to tell us.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today, Wednesday 25th of November:

- World: 60,101,887 confirmed cases and 1,416,112 confirmed deaths.

- World: we passed 59 million cases yesterday meaning 1 million more cases in 1 day.

- World: Analysis from Routers indicates it took 17 days to go from 50 million cases to 60 million, compared to the 21 days it took to go from 40 million to 50 million cases.

- US: Records one COVID death for every 40 seconds of that day.

- Germany: Sees record high new daily deaths.

- Iran: Sees record high new daily cases.

- US: Sees new record week for new infections, at 1.5 million.

- UK: The Chancellor of the Exchequer (government money man) announces spending review and warns an "Economic Emergency" has only just begun.

- Wales: Two pubs in town of Cardigan linked to cluster of 55 cases and counting, with warnings of "significant" community transmission issued in the area.

- France: Due to ease lockdown this weekend - but sees a surge in cases from 9k the day before to 16k today.

- Mozambique: Appeals to former colonial country Portugal to help it access vaccines as soon as they are available “The Portuguese prime minister made his country available to support Mozambique in this universal battle, both within the European Union and in bilateral cooperation,”

- Italy: Sicily requests Medics from Cuba as their hospitals run low on staff to attend to the sick.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
- UK: Nations of the UK agree for Christmas restrictions to allow bubbling of 3 households to meet between Dec 23rd and Dec 27th. Warnings are clear - the virus hasn't gone away and choosing to continue festivities even within these small bubbles carries a very real risk those vulnerable, even in the allowed bubbles, may not see Valentines Day.
SMH

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Germany Covid numbers seem to plateau but are still relativly high:

- partial lockdown gets extended till christmas

- meaning that mask should be worn also in front of businesses and parking lots

- private gatherings are limited to 5 people. (excluding kids)

- there should be no more than 1 person per 20 m² (when the business is larger than 800m² )
till 800 m² its 1 person per 10 m².

- restaurant and other leisure business are closed (or limited takeaway orders)

- public firework will be prohibited on crowded places(its allowed to fire firework yourself on new year)

- financial help gets extended

cases per 100000:

Unbenannt.png

to me it looks like most new cases seem to be related to border traffic. Especially france and italy? (why is always you two guys? ^^).
But also population density:

Last edited:

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

It’s now 3 days of no new cases, no deaths from Covid, and no active Covid in Victoria. We’re testing waste water to watch for anything that hasn’t been detected because people are asymptomatic.

Retail has reopened, small business is opening up again, and interstate travel is recommencing.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Thursday 26th of November:

- World: 60,719,579 confirmed cases and 1,427,184 confirmed deaths.

- UK/World: "up to" 90% claim on Oxford University vaccine called into question as the finding came from a subset of 3000 people in the test who were originally given the half-then-full dose by accident. As it was not tested in the full trial, questions called if that can be stated confidently - still appears to be 70% effective with good shelf life and easier requirements for travel and storage.

- France: Transmission R rate falls to 0.65.

- US: Supreme Court overrules limits on religious congregations in New York in the hardest hit infection areas. The rulign was passed on a 5 to 4 vote indicating that the rules "single[d] out houses of worship for especially harsh treatment."

- Sweden: Prince of Sweden and his wife test positive for COVID-19.

- UK: New Tiers system outlines for all areas of the UK, the majority in Tier 2, a lot in Tier 3 and nearly none in Tier 1. The stock market got a but wobbly when it became clear about 55 million people would remain under tougher restrictions.

- Europe: Talks between countries continue on how best to ban ski holidays which were a cause of a major outbreak in Austria in the first wave.

- UK: First patients admitted to one of the countries seven "Nightingale" field hospitals, this one in the Exeter area.

- South Africa: Sees sharp jump in COVID cases.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
- UK: New Tiers system outlines for all areas of the UK, the majority in Tier 2, a lot in Tier 3 and nearly none in Tier 1. The stock market got a but wobbly when it became clear about 55 million people would remain under tougher restrictions.
I'm not sure about this, i live in a tier 3 but i work in all other tiers, apparently that wont matter and i can continue as normal

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 27th November.

- World: 61,319,899 confirmed cases and 1,438,508 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 61 million cases, we passed 60 million on Wednesday meaning an additional million in 2/3 days.

- US: Number of people needing hospital admission for COVID-19 nearly doubles in the last month, reaching 90,000 today, a new record high.

- Russia: Sees record high new daily cases.

- UK: R number bought down to 0.9/1.

- Iran: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Italy: To begin easing restrictions in some of the less effected regions.

- UK: Test and Trace in connotation with the NHS system incorrectly advises 1,300 people they have contracted COVID when their tests were in fact void.

- Brazil: President Bolsonaro, who has previously contracted COVID-19, has said of vaccines: “I’m telling you, I’m not going to take it. It’s my right.”

- UK: Countries efforts to allow gatherings for Christmas come as a kick in the arse for those who were not able to celebrate other religious festivals such as Eid and Diwali due to country wide lockdowns.

- Isle Of Man: Main hospital cancels non-essential Orthopedic surgery as winter admissions 50% higher than this time in 2019.

- Switzerland: Warns citizens not to attend or indulge in Oom-pa Band performances this Christmas: “Singing together and playing wind instruments can increase the risk of infection,”

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I thought this would happen to, I think it is unfair on other religions
I think about a month into 2021 is when we'll now if it was just hypocrisy or a tragedy of mass proportions in waiting.

Time will tell, potentially those who sacrificed their festivals were saved from a worst fate...?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Lol... yeah... news flash... people die everyday, they die of cancer, car accents, pedestrian accident, all kinds of stuff.
None of that is contagious.

that is why this virus is so bad, not only the death, but the distrust between family and friends it sows.
No, its been a great filtering mechanism for who I choose to have around me based off IQ.

Of the people who died due to covid19 this year... how many do you think would have died from cancer or heart disease this year, if covid19 was not here, smarty pants. You FUCKING don't know, because it is a disease, not a nuke, not a war, not a crack OD.
Why is it just because you dont know something it must mean nobody else knows?

There is an expected mortality rate we see on any average day/year as a result of all the conditions you listed. Based upon this data set, if we see a big spike in deaths that do not match the expected data set, and there happens to be a epidemic raging, we have a term for it, which is "mortality displacement".

All things being the same, we know to expect a certain number of people do die from all the issues you mentioned every day of the year.

We can plot a bunch of previous years, then compare it to 2020.

Pink is 2020.

1606519901975.png

You can go read the entier Cambridge study if you want: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/excess-mortality-in-the-united-states-during-the-first-three-months-of-the-covid19-pandemic/F893889230439143C3E1F40E3D70400A

Attachments

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm not smoking anymore, I'll figure something else out. Just like tequila, you love it until you have that one night with it.
Im glad to hear you are ok, that must have been some awesome weed! But maybe this is what you need to get you off the devils lettuce!

It really is. I just find it so odd man, what im being told does not reflect the reality around me.
Just because the health services in your particular area are not having issues does not mean all surrounding areas as the same. A friend of mine is a nurse in Toronto, they are setting up field hospitals in anticipations of more patients.

The story last week from the nurse in SD? How patients are insisting the virus is fake right and only stop babbling about conspiracies once they are intubated?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Why is it just because you dont know something it must mean nobody else knows?

There is an expected mortality rate we see on any average day/year as a result of all the conditions you listed. Based upon this data set, if we see a big spike in deaths that do not match the expected data set, and there happens to be a epidemic raging, we have a term for it, which is "mortality displacement".

All things being the same, we know to expect a certain number of people do die from all the issues you mentioned every day of the year.

We can plot a bunch of previous years, then compare it to 2020.

Pink is 2020.

View attachment 19506

You can go read the entier Cambridge study if you want: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/excess-mortality-in-the-united-states-during-the-first-three-months-of-the-covid19-pandemic/F893889230439143C3E1F40E3D70400A
Now that is interesting, Glorious Leader - I was looking at the UK deaths over average graph and can see the first wave with it's vast mountain of deaths all at once, then nothing for a bit, and the second wave now building:

Deaths over average.png

My question for anyone saying those who died were likely those with existing health issues and the elderly who "were going to die soon anyway" is:

Where is the valley compared to that mountain from the first wave to offset it? If they were going to die later in the year, exactly where in the above graph is the bit where all those deaths that happened early didn't happen later? It's 73,000 excess deaths and counting in the UK... If it were indeed the case that it was mainly people who were going to die soon, should the above graph not look like the below, where those early deaths are accounted for:

1606524218323.png

Because 2020 hardly had any dip below the expected 5 year average. I'd like to ask those who believe the victims "would have died soon anyway", when "soon?" is meant to be? By the looks of the graph for those who died early in April to May, "soon" wasn't in 2020... So, next year maybe? If it's the year after that, that's getting on to be the last three years taken off someones life... Three years is a lot of living, that's too long to be considered "soon" anymore, isn't it...? Is five years still considered "soon"? Ten perhaps? And how many years robbed off the end of tens of thousands of lives is considered too many to no longer be able to justify protesting and refusing mandatory masks or a month long Lockdown to get cases under control?

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Now that is interesting, Glorious Leader - I was looking at the UK deaths over average graph and can see the first wave with it's vast mountain of deaths all at once, then nothing for a bit, and the second wave now building:

View attachment 19507

My question for anyone saying those who died were likely those with existing health issues and the elderly who "were going to die soon anyway" is:

Where is the valley compared to that mountain from the first wave to offset it? If they were going to die later in the year, exactly where in the above graph is the bit where all those deaths that happened early didn't happen later? It's 73,000 excess deaths and counting in the UK... If it were indeed the case that it was mainly people who were going to die soon, should the above graph not look like the below, where those early deaths are accounted for:

View attachment 19508

Because 2020 hardly had any dip below the expected 5 year average. I'd like to ask those who believe the victims "would have died soon anyway", when "soon?" is meant to be? By the looks of the graph for those who died early in April to May, "soon" wasn't in 2020... So, next year maybe? If it's the year after that, that's getting on to be the last three years taken off someones life... Three years is a lot of living, that's too long to be considered "soon" anymore, isn't it...? Is five years still considered "soon"? Ten perhaps? And how many years robbed off the end of tens of thousands of lives is considered too many to no longer be able to justify protesting and refusing mandatory masks or a month long Lockdown to get cases under control?

It is a good question and one that was floated at the start as the Covid-19 virus seemed to mostly target the old and frail. I would say soon would need to be in a years time and even that is pushing it a bit. Anything beyond that and it becomes to broad to truly qualify. As for the valley it has not been realized (would be careful to make sure that you take the Covid-19 deaths out of total deaths when comparing it against previous years avg to see if there is any drop as you want to see if there is any impact on those who would have died this year from the baseline causes) Personally I would be surprised if there was not a drop in the standard causes of death even if you remove accidental causes from the yearly totals (due to reduced movement and work, would also remove the increase from drug overdose due to stresses and boredom). But I would be surprised if the drop in 2021 was even half the deaths to Covid-19 in 2020 as those over 60 are disproportionately impacted its not unexpected for them to still have years left normally.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 28th of November:

- World: 61,967,977 confirmed cases and 1,448,411 confirmed deaths.

- France: Shops reopen following end of nationwide lockdown.

- UK: Government spokesperson indicates tiers system after lockdown is to defend hospitals from overloading.

- Europe: Passes 400,000 COVID Deaths.

- UK: Vulnerable people to be given Vitamin D supplements for free as studies continue to investigate if there is a benefit in it defending against COVID-19.

- Iran: Report indicates of 160 cities in the country 89 have moved out of the High Risk category.

- Australia: Victoria sees 29th day without a new COVID case.

- Greece: Lowers the price of COVID tests that people have to pay for from between €95 to €75 to a flat €40 with plans for a €10 rapid antigen test (faster but less accurate) being debated.

- UK: 60 people arrested at Lockdown protest in London.

- Germany: Ministers warn if cases do not drop Lockdown will continue until Spring.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik
Forgot your password?