Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Zhangjiajie , a population of 1.48 million as of 2010, I can only assume its grown since then.

And from the news article I read:
"The city ordered residential communities sealed Sunday, preventing people from leaving their homes. In a subsequent order on Tuesday, officials said no one, whether tourist or resident, could leave the city."
Was thinking how many horror movies start or shortly after the intro have a population put into lockdown before things go really sideways?

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
A long the line of "there are no atheists in foxholes" and "there are no anti-firefighters when your house is burning down"...
"In hindsight, I wish that had not become law," Hutchinson said during a news conference. "But it is the law, and the only chance we have is either to amend it or for the courts to say that it has an unconstitutional foundation."
You passed that law you douche canoe!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Thursday 5th of August:

- World: 200,652,700 confirmed cases and 4,263,709 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 200 million confirmed cases.

- US: Sees over 100,000 new daily infections for the first time in 6 months.

- UK: 73% of adults have had two doses of vaccine, with 89% having had at least one.

- UK: 20% of people in hospital with COVID at the moment is aged between 18 and 34 and classed as 'seriously ill' enough to be admitted to hospital.

- UK: 'Pingdemic' of track and trace notifications drops 48% on previous week - the data was taken before the changes were made to make it inform fewer people so was still working on 5 days of contacts not 2 days.

- UK: Gateshead NHS trust starts making its own FFP3 mask supplies. "It's taken us a lot of hard work and investment to get to this stage,"

- UK: Scotland, and firefighters have started driving ambulances to reduce pressure on health services.

- UK: Paediatricians association slams the government on a "shambolic" vaccination rollout for vulnerable kids, indicating doctors have been left in the dark on plans for the programme and can't answer parents questions: "The rollout of the vaccine programme for adults has been incredibly impressive but, for children and young people, it has been frankly shambolic. This is the second announcement around vaccinations for children or young people in the last three weeks but we still haven’t seen detailed plans for rollout of the first."

- Ireland: Begins vaccinating 12 to 15 year olds.

- France: Courts rule the vaccination Health Pass to access places such as restaurants and cafes are legal.

- Africa: African Union begins distributing 400 million vaccine doses.

- Indonesia: Passes 100,000 confirmed deaths.

- Japan: Tokyo sees another day of record high new daily cases, expands restrictions to eight new regions.

- Australia: Enters into a snap lockdown.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 6th of August:

- World: 201,271,096 confirmed cases and 4,272,990 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Following the CDC announcing vaccinated persons can still contract and transmit COVID-19, Public Health England announces its research has come to the same conclusion. Although vaccinated persons are less likely to be infected or suffer serious illness, but if they do harbour it they are shedding just as much virus as an unvaccinated person. "Some initial findings ... indicate that levels of virus in those who become infected with Delta having already been vaccinated may be similar to levels found in unvaccinated people. This may have implications for people’s infectiousness, whether they have been vaccinated or not. However, this is early exploratory analysis and further targeted studies are needed to confirm whether this is the case.”

- UK: Prime Minister Johnson refuses to self-isolate following being in close personal contact with an aid travelling with him on a tour of Scotland who tested positive.

- UK: Another woman has been sexually harassed in a Quarantine Hotel despite new measures and rules to stop this - a new hotline has been set up for residents to be able to report incidents.

- US: Average Hospital COVID admission numbers up 40% on the week before.

- US: CNN fires staff members who attended the office without first being vaccinated.

- US: Jennifer Anniston explains why she has removed some people from her weekly routine following finding out they have not accepted vaccination: "Because if you have the variant, you are still able to give it to me, I may get slightly sick but I will not be admitted to a hospital and or die. But I can give it to someone else who does not have the vaccine and whose health is compromised (or has a previous existing condition) - and therefore I would put their lives at risk."

- EU: Drugs regulator advises it has so far not been able to find any evidence of a link between vaccines and menstrual changes.

- Ireland: Cap on persons at outdoor events lifted to 200.

- St Vincent and the Grenadines: Prime Minister injured by a rock to the head hurled by protestors riling against a potential vaccine mandate.

- Sri Lanka: Strengthens restrictions fillowing reports of COVID sick dying in queues waiting to get in to overcrowded hospitals.

- Japan: Australian Olympic Hockey Team failed to grab gold but too silver. They got booze to drown their sorrows but in doing so broke the rules leaving the village to get it. 5 team mates now confined to their rooms and isolating.

- Japan: Passes 1 million confirmed cases.

- Australia: Prime Minister warns businesses who plan to make vaccination mandatory that there are no plans to make that law.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 7th of August:

- World: 202,001,985 confirmed cases and 4,283,154 confirmed deaths.

- WHO: Goes on record to warn scammers are operating falsely claiming to be working on their behalf, claiming that victims have won the COVID-19 Lottery Compensation Prize of $1 million: "These scammers – who claim to be a financial management firm in London – falsely state that they have been appointed by WHO to process payment of the “COVID-19 Lottery Compensation Prize.”

- Australia: Sees record high new daily cases.

- UK: Wales, and most restrictions are lifted following in the footsteps of England.

- UK: Northern Ireland, sadly sees its first child death in the under 15's age group from COVID-19.

- Italy: Sees more protests over targeted restrictions for the unvaccinated.

- France: Sees more protests over targeted restrictions for the unvaccinated.

- Thailand: Sees more protests over the countries handling of the pandemic.

- India: Gives J&J vaccine emergency approval status.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 8th of August:

- World: 202,570,646 confirmed cases and 4,292,041 confirmed deaths.

- US: Right wing radio presenter Dick Farrel who had been anti-vaxx and advising listeners not to get vaccinated until as recently as June dies from COVID-19 after being admitted to hospital on the 4th of August... I don't know who he was because I live 3,000 miles away, but it made my news feeds so I presume he was well known... A close friend of his indicated on Fasebook: “He texted me and told me to ‘Get it!’ He told me this virus is no joke and he said, “I wish I had gotten [the vaccine]!”

- US: National Institutes of Health director raises concern on the comparatively high level of young falling ill to COVID-19: “the largest number of children so far in the whole pandemic right now are in the hospital, 1,450 kids in the hospital from Covid-19.”

- US: Tesla tells workers at its Nevada battery factory that they will have to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status from Monday.

- Iran: Sees record high new cases and deaths.

- Vietnam: Sees record high new daily cases.

- UK: Health secretary calls on watchdog to investigate firms overcharging on COVID tests for people wishing to travel.

- UK: Another top government minister, this time the Foreign Minister found to have dodged Quarantine rules on return from France which at the time required 10 day quarantine. Officials responded "It is his job to pursue the UK’s interests abroad, including on security, trade, and international development" and it transpires, according to the news article: "Government ministers are exempt from quarantine on account of conducting essential state business for the UK outside of the country" which is news to me.

- Spain: UK student nurse who tested positive prior to leaving to return to the UK put up in a Majorca Quarantine Hotel, however reports they were not given any water and had to wait over 12 hours before being fed: "This boy cut up a bed sheet, tied it all together, tied the water and roped it down to me, so I could have a bottle of water. People are ordering food and putting the rope down and the delivery guy will just tie it on," in response officials for the facility advised "The operation is sanitary (more similar to that of a hospital than to that of a hotel), and therefore the meals (four a day) are served by the hospital catering, supervised by hospital dietitians."

- Australia: Army dispatched to poorer suburbs of Sydney to enforce COVID restrictions, causing concern. Critics point out more people in these areas are essential workers who are in the food, service and other industries which stop them from being able to work from home and to still be in contact with people and blame cannot be squarely sat not them following or disobeying restrictions at home.

- Saudi Arabia: To allow Umrah pilgrims again, however they have to be vaccinated.

- Democratic Republic of Congo: City of Lubumbashi makes not wearing a mask in public punishable by up to 7 days in jail.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
- US: Tesla tells workers at its Nevada battery factory that they will have to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status from Monday.
This is because the whole state has mandated mask-wearing irrelevant of vaccine status starting Friday, Aug 6th hours after CDC's announcement.

I don't know who he was because I live 3,000 miles away, but it made my news feeds so I presume he was well known.
Never heard of him either. And given he did not have a Wiki page until this I would suggest he was not very well known but is simply a pawn in the political game of look at those dumb republicans.

- US: National Institutes of Health director raises concern on the comparatively high level of young falling ill to COVID-19: “the largest number of children so far in the whole pandemic right now are in the hospital, 1,450 kids in the hospital from Covid-19.”
This has been a growing concern that my doctor friends are talking about. It is still not known if they are starting to see a rise in the number dying or simply just getting very sick and in the current climate parents being far more protective reactive, especially given the vaccine age has only been recently reduced to 12.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 9th of August:

- World: 203,157,632 confirmed cases and 4,299,933 confirmed deaths.

- Iran: State TV reports a new infection is happening every two seconds and one person is dying of COVID-19 every 2 minutes as the country sees a new record high daily deaths.

- US: Delta infection appears to be taking a heavy toll in Austin, TX. The local health authority stated "The situation is critical. Our hospitals are severely stressed and there is little we can do to alleviate their burden with the surging cases.” with data showing of the 499 ICU beds available to cover the 2.4 million population in the area, only six beds remain unfilled.

- UK: One of the biggest firms providing PCR tests for travellers lands themselves in hot water after images of test drop boxes overflowing with cartons waiting to be picked up go viral online: "Randox is providing premium testing services in dynamic and rapidly changing circumstances and is committed to continuously improving its logistics network, to ensure that international travellers receive their results in time. All of the sample kits pictured will be processed."

- UK: Disproportionately high number of pregnant women are in Intensive Care units with COVID-19. It is suggested the prevalence of the virus in the UK combined with vaccine hesitancy especially in those with child may be the cause.

- UK: Research suggests the UK may end up with a surplus of 210 million vaccine doses based on what has been ordered and what may be needed.

- UK: Anti-lockdown protestors attempt to storm the BBC for reasons best known to themselves. The Police apparently engaged in a 'scuffle' with them.

- Italy: Fake Green Pass vaccination proofs have been identified by police just days after their introduction to gain entry into various indoor places.

- Canada: Lifts ban on Americans entering the country, however requires full vaccination and a negative COVID test within 3 days.

- Nepal: Begins second vaccine doses following delays of many months following India halting exports of vaccine.

- Brunei: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Australia: Expands New South Wales lockdown.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Looking ahead...wait, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has already started? My how time flies. In any event, this seemed to be a trigger of a lot of cases in the Mid-West last year.

Given how several key states in the Mid-West have higher case loads now than they did this time last year...things could get really interesting in the next few months...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Tuesday 10th of August:

- World: 203,708,052 confirmed cases and 4,308,757 confirmed deaths.

- WHO: Implores for the leaders of the 20 most powerful countries on earth to take the lead in tackling Vaccine access disparity: "They head the big companies that are in charge of this; they head the countries that are contracting most of the world’s vaccines, and they head the countries that produce them. We need those 20 people to say, ‘we’re going to solve this problem by the end of September. We’re going to make sure that 10 percent of every country... is vaccinated’."

- Therapeutics: London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and All India Institute of Ayurveda to run a trial to see if ashwagandha herb (Indian Winter Cherry) can help with the recovery of COVID-19. Recent trials have proven its effectiveness in the reduction of stress and anxiety, increasing muscle strength and easing fatigue symptoms in those with chronic conditions.

- US: Governor of Florida threatens to withhold salaries from school leaders who enact mask mandates.

- US: Children accounted for 15% of new cases last week, at 94,000.

- US/Mexico: Officials to meet to discuss reopening boarders.

- UK: Number of fully vaccinated adults passes 75%, however a scientist warns politicians not to be complacent and that the idea of Hurd Immunity was not not currently possible and described it as "Mythical" in the face of the Delta Variant which has been proved to infect vaccinated persons even if they make the illness less severe or asymptomatic: "We know very clearly with coronavirus that this current variant, the Delta variant, will still infect people who have been vaccinated and that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus.”

- UK: Sees 146 new daily deaths, the highest number since March.

- UK: Boy who started living in a tent in his garden to raise money for the local hospice hits 500th day and totals £640,000 in donations and counting.

- Malaysia: Popular singer Siti Sarah Raisuddin dies from COVID-19 days after giving birth to 4th child while in medically induced coma. Reports indicate the did't get to hold her child before passing away.

- Thailand: Officials Back down from regulations they passed to ban the sharing of news that spreads fear, even if it is genuine news.

- Thailand: Police clash with protesters criticizing the governments reaction to the pandemic.

- Myanmar: Rights groups report the Army which carried out a coup earlier in the year had carried out over 250 attacks and threats on medical staff, killing at least 25 medics, with over 190 medical staff arrested and 89 hospitals raided, citing 15 incidents where it directly hampered the response to the COVID crisis.

- Sri Lanka: As hopsitals struggle, government official indicates the government is resisting lockdown to be used as a last possible resort, saying: “Our target is to get everyone over the age of 18 vaccinated by September and thereafter it is in the hands of the gods.”

- Germany: Considers abolishing free COVID testing in attempt to get more people to accept vaccination.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Wednesday 11th of August:

- World: 204,380,499 confirmed cases and 4,319,918 confirmed deaths.

- World: Facebook deletes posts and accounts linked to a targeted attempt by a state to sew disinformation on the pandemic via influencers.

- Therapeutics: WHO to test 3 anti-inflammatory drugs as treatments for COVID-19. “These therapies – artesunate, imatinib and infliximab – were selected by an independent expert panel for their potential in reducing the risk of death in hospitalised Covid-19 patients,”

- Germany: Nurse suspected of switching Vaccine doses with harmless (and useless) Saline. 8,600 thought to be effected, with a police person stating there was “a reasonable suspicion of danger” for vulnerable people who had not received the protection of a vaccine.

- US: Passes 36 million confirmed cases.

- US: Google US advises staff if they continue to work from home their pay will be lowered and have provided a calculator for staff to see if it will be worth it for them.

- UK: Accused of pushing poorer countries to the back of the queue as it orders booster shots for Autumn 2022.

- Pfizer: Accused of profiteering as it increases vaccine prices for the National Health Service by a fifth, a move described as “shamefully unsurprising”.

- EU: investigates three more potential rare side effects with potential links to Pfizer and Moderna vaccines: Erythema multiforme which is a skin allergic reaction, and glomerulonephritis and nephrotic syndrome which effects the kidneys.

- Iran: States pandemic is the countries Number 1 problem with the Supreme Leader saying: “The pandemic is Iran’s number-one problem today ... The number of infected people and the fatalities are truly tragic. ... It is an urgent matter that must be curbed,”

- Russia: Sees record high new daily deaths.

- South Korea: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Thailand: Sees second day of police clashing with protestors calling for the government to resign over COVID response.

- China: To test vaccine mixing to see if it can attain a higher efficiency rating.

- Australia: Olympic Committee accuses South Australian officials of cruelty as it makes the returning Olympic team quarantine after already having quarantined in Sydney.

- Cuba: Recalls hundreds of doctors from overseas and converts hotels into hospitals as cases spike.

- Switzerland: To halt free COVID testing now half the country is vaccinated saying: "For the government, protecting hospital structures now has priority, no longer protecting the non-vaccinated population,”

- France: Vaccination centres vandalized “We are cleaning off these horrors, this is odious. Other centres have also been hit by these racist and cowardly attacks. On the vaccination centre poster, a target was painted, as if for a weapon,”

- China: State media articles quoting a Swiss biologist saying the US has politicised COVID-19 are quietly deleted following the Swiss Government confirming no such person exists.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not sure if anyone saw this but it popped up in my news feed.

Intranasal COVID-19 Vaccine (NIH)

It would certainly be nice if we could get something like this prepped for human usage - a lot of my old friends are terrified of needles and the reduction in anxiety would go a long way in follow through on getting it done.
Good find, interesting study results. The amount of innovation this global crisis has created is wonderful, lets hope it continues on to great things for humanity.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Thursday 12th of August:

- World: 205,082,290 confirmed cases and 4,329,833 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Competition and Markets Authority to investigate reports of rip-off prices of PCR tests provided by private companies.

- UK: To pilot Air Purifiers in classrooms to combat transmission of COVID-19.

- UK: Economy recovers by 4.8%, encouraging but below projections.

- UK: Cases begin to climb again with 33k new daily cases and numbers increasing in all age groups except the 10 to 19 year old age band i England.

- US: Considers booster shots of vaccine for immune compromised persons and is now investigating how long vaccine coverage lasts with one official saying when immune response falls below a critical level "that’s when you’re going to be hearing about the implementation of boosters".

- US: California McDonald's franchise restaurant settles with workers suing them for having reportedly provided Dog Nappies to use as face masks. The group of workers went on to contract COVID and pass it on to their families.

- Vaccines: Trial on Sinovac vaccine states it falls below critical efficiency threshold 6 months after second dose, however booster shot results in strong immune response again.

- Russia: Sees record high new daily deaths.

- Mexico: Sees record high new daily cases.

- New Zealand: Announces boarders will remain closed until at least 2022.

- France: To share 670,000 vaccines with Vietnam.

- Israel: To make COVID testing mandatory for children as young as 3 so they can return to schools.

- Charities: An Oxfam report on billionaire wealth gains during the pandemic states if a one-off 99% tax was implemented on those 2,690 individuals gains over the pandemic, it would raise over $5 TRILLION which would be enough to vaccinate every person on earth and provide $20,000 for every person put out of work by the pandemic, and leave them $55 billion spare to share between themselves.

Forgot your password?