Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My gimmick alarm went off. I mean it's a nice try I suppose, but once your nose OR mouth are uncovered, all bets are off. Capital letters are significant in the OR. It's a logic OR which means Either, or both
lol, my first reaction to that was, "Not gonna help all the mouth breathers"

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Friday 4th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 389,158,188 Global Deaths 5,716,459

- US: U.S. Confirmed76,008,495

- South Africa: South Africa makes its own version of Moderna jab

- US: As Omicron peaks, US healthcare system left ‘broken beyond repair’

- Russia/Ukraine: Record Covid cases in Russia and Ukraine complicate conflict situation

- Austria:
Austria passes vaccine mandate, but questions linger over enforcement

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
lol, my first reaction to that was, "Not gonna help all the mouth breathers"
Including the one in the photo that accompanied the article. It's a gimmick, that's all. I just hope people around here where I live don't get any dumb ideas like that. I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get rid of pleurisy, and that would cause me to laugh my right lung out.

Reactions: Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 5th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 392,224,663 Global Deaths 5,729,714

- US: U.S. Deaths 901,703

- UK: Girl, 7, tells Prime Minister to follow rules over No 10 parties

- Canada: GoFundMe seizes funds of Canada truck 'occupation'

- New Zealand: New Zealand reports record 243 daily cases

- Russia: Russia records 714 deaths as new cases rise again

- South Korea: South Korea logs record daily number of new Covid cases

- Austria: Compulsory vaccination rules come into force in Austria

- Hong Kong: Hong Kong reports record 351 daily cases of coronavirus

- UK/Booze: 'Oldest pub' shuts as licensee faces administration

- UK:
Booster campaign stalls as ‘partygate’ undermines trust in official advice

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I hope that the city of Ottawa gets some of that cash. This whole convoy business is costing the city almost $900k a day in extra policing, traffic control, etc. Not to mention the lost business many of the businesses in the Parliament Hill area are suffering.
I live in Texas now, but I'm from Ottawa. I saw the Global news reports, it looks like they missed their target and are instead targeting the businesses around Parliament Hill - so yeah, city police, city roads and businesses. It was never a great place to drive, but the area has some very unique shops, hotels and restaurants. Not entirely sure what the objective is, if they can't shutdown access to Parliament Hill - and they can't drive those trucks on those roads. Although if they did a lot of towing companies would earn a lot of money. There's always a bright side even if it's hard to see.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Not entirely sure what the objective is, if they can't shutdown access to Parliament Hill - and they can't drive those trucks on those roads.
I don't think those guys know what their objective is either. What I have read from several sources is that this protest isn't really about Covid Mandates. Covid Mandates are set up by Provincial Governments, not the Federal one. Another issue to note is that these guys are holding grievance to the fact that they're not allowed easy access to the borders. What does this have to do with the Canadian government when it's the Biden administration that's prohibiting entry to unvaccinated non-Americans? These guys have limited/inaccurate about Covid at best. Covid and 'Trucker rights' are basically convenient excuses to march against the government.

Several protesters voiced opposition to perceived authoritarianism and corruption by Justin Trudeau, stating they wanted him "out of office", while others said: "This is not an anti-vaccination movement, this is a freedom movement". Jason LaFace, Canada Unity's Ontario organizer for the convoy, has stated that the intent of the protest is to dissolve the government
The ultimate objective of the senior organizers is basically a coup d'état of the government that is to be replaced by a committee made up of members of the convoy plus sitting senators. No details as to how this will be achieved along with issues of political legitimacy. In short....a clumsy redneck insurrection.

These are idiots who have overdosed on American Right Wing media and have being inspired by the January 16th crowd. I mean....you're in Canada, why are you flying Confederate flags or the Gadsden flag? Why are you wearing MAGA hats or Infowars T-shirts? Throwing around words like 'Freedom' and 'Constitutional Rights' when they're not really Canadian concepts....what's up with that?

Fucking 'Eh'-Right crowd.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't think those guys know what their objective is either. What I have read from several sources is that this protest isn't really about Covid Mandates. Covid Mandates are set up by Provincial Governments, not the Federal one. Another issue to note is that these guys are holding grievance to the fact that they're not allowed easy access to the borders. What does this have to do with the Canadian government when it's the Biden administration that's prohibiting entry to unvaccinated non-Americans? These guys have limited/inaccurate about Covid at best. Covid and 'Trucker rights' are basically convenient excuses to march against the government.
That's hilarious. It's not even a US/Canada thing, If you're not vaccinated, you have limited travel options all over the world, regardless of who's passport you carry.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Sunday 6th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 394,508,315 Global Deaths 5,737,531

- UK: The game that shows how to spread fake news

- Honduras: Honduras president tests positive

- China: Chinese city of Baise locked down and reportedly sealed off after Omicron breakout

- Winter Olympics: Olympics-China reports 10 new COVID cases among Olympics personnel on Feb 5

- Russia: Russia's coronavirus cases hit new record high

- Wales: New woodlands to be created in memory of those who died from coronavirus

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Monday 7th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 396,394,748 Global Deaths 5,744,695

- Canada: Truckers defiant as Ottawa protests grind on

- Canada: Ottawa declares emergency over trucker protests

- UK: Out-of-date Covid jabs given by mistake

- Australia: Australia to fully reopen borders for vaccinated

- Oxford/AstraZenaca: Harm to AstraZeneca jab’s reputation ‘probably killed thousands’

- Sweden: Sweden to ease travel restrictions

- Papua New Guinea: PM of Papua New Guinea tested positive for Covid arriving in Beijing for Winter Olympics

- UK: NHS continuing to face 'really high levels of staff absence' due to pandemic

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
In the article, they use the term Endemic. Edit: Just read the first paragraph... everything else is just me spewing.

We've been basically waiting for our Governments to start using the same word for about 2 months. They've been resisting for reasons that seem to have to do with hanging onto the power to restrict movement. It is in part an acknowledgment that the Pandemic is ending. We need to open the borders sooner rather than later, and if some poor unvaccinated sob gets sick, it's on him. I mean other than we all end up paying more taxes and/or more for medical insurance.

We live with several diseases, including viral diseases in the Endemic phase, for hundreds of thousands of years. One of those diseases is the flu, but I think it is a mistake to think it is done with us. Ebola has a 90% death rate so far but hasn't had a known pandemic. We know that because the only people ever found with antibodies have suffered from the disease. The lucky 10%. Be happy this pandemic wasn't that virus or any of it's relatives (collectively, hemorrhagic fever).

Those truckers in Canada - I don't like what they're doing. But at the same time I don't like either US or Canadian border policy at the moment. It doesn't add up, and I know there are scientists and medical doctors who know this at the CDC, and Health Canada (because the data science shows it, and they read the data science that's how they get the data for papers and articles. I mean at least I hope that's where...)

• o7
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Friday 11th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 406,940,980 Global Deaths 5,794,030

- Canada: Breaking - 'Illegal' protest spurs Ontario state of emergency

- France: France to end face mask requirement for entry to indoor places subject to Covid vaccine pass

- France/Russia: Macron refused to take Russian Covid test

- Russia: Russia's daily COVID-19 case tally tops 200,000 for first time

- UK: Hospitals declare critical incident

- US: 3,000 NYC staff face lost jobs over vaccine rules

- Iceland: Iceland to lift Covid restrictions earlier than planned

- Canada: Canada to announce changes to Covid border restrictions next week

- Belgium: Belgium to reopen nightclubs and ease mask mandate as infections fall

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
Stupid

Covid reasoning aside, this is dangerous, now all the bath slalt sniffing conspiracy theorists who have been belting on about living with it from the start will feel justified in all their weird facebook posting shit and vindicated that they were right all along.

This is what happens when there is more stupid than not and a desperate premier

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Great large scale study (using a US veteran population).
The study focused on 153,760 veterans who tested positive for COVID-19 between March 1, 2020 and January 15, 2021 and survived at least 30 days afterward. They then assembled a comparison group of 5.6 million veterans from the same period who did not test positive and a historical comparison group that included health records from 2017 from an additional 5.9 million veterans.
The authors then looked at the incidence of 20 pre-determined serious cardiovascular diseases over the course of a year in the three cohorts. They also calculated the excess burden of disease that linked with COVID-19.
Summary here:

Original article here:

TL:DR
"people infected with COVID-19 had a 63 percent higher risk of developing any of the 20 cardiovascular diseases over the year than their uninfected contemporary cohort."

This was **before** the vaccine was available, so hopefully that has made a dent in things. This is still a disease you don't want to catch.

Forgot your password?