Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Stupid

Covid reasoning aside, this is dangerous, now all the bath slalt sniffing conspiracy theorists who have been belting on about living with it from the start will feel justified in all their weird facebook posting shit and vindicated that they were right all along.

This is what happens when there is more stupid than not and a desperate premier
It is hard to see this as anything other than smoke and mirrors to distract from the Lockdown rule breeches isn't it?

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 12th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 409,454,427 Global Deaths 5,806,289

- New Zealand: New Zealand plays Barry Manilow to repel protesters

- France: Paris police fire tear gas at Covid protesters

- Canada: Police launch bid to clear Canada bridge blockade

- UK: Prime Minister sent lockdown party questionnaire by police

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Sunday 13th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 411,195,822 Global Deaths 5,813,652

- Canada: Canada police clear remaining bridge protesters

- Cook Islands: Cook Islands braces after Covid-positive traveller

Reports are otherwise lacking while attention is focused on the current tensions in Ukraine and surrounding area.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Monday 14th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 412,665,299 Global Deaths 5,820,309

- Germany: Germany’s plan for vaccination mandate losing momentum

- France/Belgium: French Covid ‘freedom convoy’ heads for Brussels despite police warning

- UK: UK ministers press ahead with plan to wind down Covid testing

- Israel: Israelis mount their own Covid-19 'Freedom Convoy'

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Anyone see a pattern?

I think more Governments are going to have a problem letting the Pandemic restrictions go. It's like the pandemic turned into an endemic and they don't getitdemic. This is exactly the conditions they were supposed to be protecting us until. Well we're here now and they don't want to let go. Not surprised.

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Anyone see a pattern?

I think more Governments are going to have a problem letting the Pandemic restrictions go. It's like the pandemic turned into an endemic and they don't getitdemic. This is exactly the conditions they were supposed to be protecting us until. Well we're here now and they don't want to let go. Not surprised.
I've been mostly against lockdowns since the beginning....preferring to trust folks to do the right thing (masks, vaccines, etc). I wasn't really in favour of vaccine passports and would like to see them go away.

That being said, I do think there are certain 'forces' that have hijacked anti-mandate/lockdown discourse everywhere. I'm talking about the Far Right, Inforwars/Qanon crowd that honestly need to piss off. Here in Canada we're looking at foreign money pouring in to support the convoys. Money that is sketchy at best and frightening at worst.

Governments will open up everywhere and have been already. BC already declared Covid endemic not that long ago, no thanks to these loons.

What's gonna suck is that these Confederate flag flying, Swastika waving motherfuckers are gonna claim credit. This is only gonna embolden these ideologies and we must be vigilant.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What's gonna suck is that these Confederate flag flying, Swastika waving motherfuckers are gonna claim credit. This is only gonna embolden these ideologies and we must be vigilant.
I think you got it right on all counts there, myself.
Just remember that the far right has a counterpart that's just as janky on the far left. We need a measured response, and in Canada I can tell you it's a little easier than it is in the US.

Reactions: Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Anyone see a pattern?

An issue the UK had was most restrictions were eased off but Omicron put too many health workers in their beds off sick which caused hospital after hospital in to emergency measures as they didn't have enough staff to look after the regular sick let alone the COVID I'll on top of that.

Moving into the endemic phase won't be as simple as it sounds, when we were at 1 in 20 people in the country with the virus that effect was felt everywhere.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Tuesday 15th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 414,687,350 Global Deaths 5,832,243

- UK: Hancock failed in equality duty over Covid roles

- Long Covid: Vaccinated less likely to develop long Covid

World events currently effecting the amount of reports on the Global Pandemic.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
An issue the UK had was most restrictions were eased off but Omicron put too many health workers in their beds off sick which caused hospital after hospital in to emergency measures as they didn't have enough staff to look after the regular sick let alone the COVID I'll on top of that.

Moving into the endemic phase won't be as simple as it sounds, when we were at 1 in 20 people in the country with the virus that effect was felt everywhere.
Well this isn't really about whether we're ready for it or not. The term endemic is a phase of a virus, not a political declaration, and the virus certainly doesn't ask permission. It is becoming a part of our ecosystem anyway.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well this isn't really about whether we're ready for it or not. The term endemic is a phase of a virus, not a political declaration, and the virus certainly doesn't ask permission. It is becoming a part of our ecosystem anyway.
I think holding on to restrictions while entering the beginning of endemic status is less political and more stopping the health services being overwhelmed not because of the number of sick people coming into the hospitals but the number of sick staff not coming in to the hospitals.

If a hospital has 500 staff and 1 in 20 people in the country are off sick that's 25 staff down. As hospitals tend to be the epicenter of illnesses it's not unreasonable to say it could be 1 in 10 staff that's 50. That may not sound like a lot compared to the total number of staff but if that hospital only has 7 heart surgons 50 is suddenly a big number and the heart attack services are gone for a week.

Technically the hospital wasn't overwhelmed by incoming patients but it wasn't able to offer care and services to those who need them, which is the definition of the health service being overwhelmed...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think holding on to restrictions while entering the beginning of endemic status is less political and more stopping the health services being overwhelmed not because of the number of sick people coming into the hospitals but the number of sick staff not coming in to the hospitals.

If a hospital has 500 staff and 1 in 20 people in the country are off sick that's 25 staff down. As hospitals tend to be the epicenter of illnesses it's not unreasonable to say it could be 1 in 10 staff that's 50. That may not sound like a lot compared to the total number of staff but if that hospital only has 7 heart surgons 50 is suddenly a big number and the heart attack services are gone for a week.

Technically the hospital wasn't overwhelmed by incoming patients but it wasn't able to offer care and services to those who need them, which is the definition of the health service being overwhelmed...
I am totally on board with that. I wouldn't be surprised if hospital staff shortages are even more than that or become more than that. We have the same thing, in spades, happening here in the US. The area I live in has a whopping 40% vaccination rate just for example. But these are social and political decisions that relate to that. It's a little late, but we could do something about it if there was enough will.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Wednesday 16th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 416,802,424 Global Deaths 5,844,371

- US: U.S. Confirmed 78,103,127

- UK: England to offer Covid jab to five to 11-year-olds

- UK: Scotland offers Covid jabs to children aged 5-11

- UK: Five to 11-year-olds in Wales offered Covid jabs

- UK: Men deny fraud over unregulated Covid test

- Hong Kong: Hospitals overwhelmed as Covid surges in Hong Kong

- Africa: Container lab plan for Covid vaccines in Africa

- Europe: Coronavirus restrictions ease across Europe despite high case rates

- Germany: Germany to relax Covid restrictions

- Switzerland: Switzerland to lift most Covid restrictions from Thursday

- Malaysia: Malaysia registers record high daily Covid cases

- Austria: Austria to lift most Covid restrictions on 5 March

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Thursday 17th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 419,054,067 Global Deaths 5,857,783

- US: US has seen more than 1m excess since since pandemic began

- US: Nearly three-quarters of Americans have some Covid immunity, experts say

- Canada: Police warn protesters to leave Ottawa

- Isle Of Man: Isle of Man coronavirus death toll rises to 79

- UK: Train services down by a fifth after Covid slump

- Israel: Israel’s PM says ‘green pass’ system to be suspended as cases decline

- Portugal: Portugal to scrap coronavirus restrictions

- Germany: Germany to lift most Covid restrictions in March

- Switzerland: Switzerland's president Ignazio Cassis self-isolating after testing positive for Covid-19

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
We have a kind of disconnect between the advice people are being given, and what is actually happening. Self isolating after testing positive isn't necessarily bad, unless it begins to infect the economy.

The problem is, if you test positive today that means that you have developed antibodies... a process that takes time. And that means you were infectious for between 3 and 15 days before depending on the variant and the health of your immune system. Also if it's Omicron 1 or 2, I wouldn't worry. You can take all the measures you want (even in China) and it's still going to infect every human on the planet, probably even multiple times - and each time will boost our total herd immunity.

If you are at least double vaccinated, even without a third booster - this is good news, because the chances are you will have anything between a sneezing fit, and what feels like a bad cold for 3 or so days. The people going to hospital are largely people with comorbidities, or who have never been infected.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
If you are at least double vaccinated, even without a third booster - this is good news, because the chances are you will have anything between a sneezing fit, and what feels like a bad cold for 3 or so days. The people going to hospital are largely people with comorbidities, or who have never been infected.
The missus has it right now (I mean it's inevitable since she works at a hospital's Covid ward). I've been self isolating with her (paid...so err yay?) since we've obviously been in close contact. We've both been triple vaxxed and well....doesn't seem like I'm getting it (it's been almost 10 days for her). I've had 3 PCR tests so far and they've all come up negative.

She's actually kinda pissed that I'm not even exhibiting mild symptoms.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We have a kind of disconnect between the advice people are being given, and what is actually happening. Self isolating after testing positive isn't necessarily bad, unless it begins to infect the economy.

The problem is, if you test positive today that means that you have developed antibodies... a process that takes time. And that means you were infectious for between 3 and 15 days before depending on the variant and the health of your immune system. Also if it's Omicron 1 or 2, I wouldn't worry. You can take all the measures you want (even in China) and it's still going to infect every human on the planet, probably even multiple times - and each time will boost our total herd immunity.

I'm going to be one of those weirdos who is still wearing their crappy cloth mask a year after the restrictions have been lifted.

I remember when the instructions on how to make them ended up in the news and I asked Mrs 'BobFace to make it for me, and I started wearning it immediately before It was mandate... first in last out - it won't save me from them, but it might save them from me.

Forgot your password?