Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The missus has it right now (I mean it's inevitable since she works at a hospital's Covid ward). I've been self isolating with her (paid...so err yay?) since we've obviously been in close contact. We've both been triple vaxxed and well....doesn't seem like I'm getting it (it's been almost 10 days for her). I've had 3 PCR tests so far and they've all come up negative.

She's actually kinda pissed that I'm not even exhibiting mild symptoms.
As long as she doesn't cook up a vaccine evading mutant in her cells just to spite you 😅

Reactions: Vavrik

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I'm going to be one of those weirdos who is still wearing their crappy cloth mask a year after the restrictions have been lifted.

I remember when the instructions on how to make them ended up in the news and I asked Mrs 'BobFace to make it for me, and I started wearning it immediately before It was mandate... first in last out - it won't save me from them, but it might save them from me.
You do you, buddy.

I'll never begrudge anyone for taking the appropriate measures to protect them or their families.

Hell if I see someone getting berating in public for wearing a mask, I'll probably jump in and shout the abuser down.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You do you, buddy.

I'll never begrudge anyone for taking the appropriate measures to protect them or their families.

Hell if I see someone getting berating in public for wearing a mask, I'll probably jump in and shout the abuser down.
I find beating them with logic is pretty useful. Any excuse they can think of for being an ass can be countered with irrefutable facts. Just have to keep ones self up to date with the latest revelations.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Friday 18th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 420,830,552 Global Deaths 5,868,318

- UK: Keep isolation and free Covid tests - NHS bosses

- UK: Quarter of Helpline NHS 24 winter calls unanswered

- UK: Prime Minister faces police questionnaire deadline (10pm) over parties

- Canada: Police arrest leaders of trucker convoy in Ottawa

- US: US TV star sues Disney over Covid 'discrimination'

- South Korea: South Korea reports more than 100,000 new cases for first time

- Australia: Western Australia to reopen 3 March to triple-vaccinated travellers

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 19th of February 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 422,442,561 Global Deaths 5,877,865

- New Zealand: Record high new daily cases logged at 1,900 in the latest 24-hour period

Not many other reports due to continuing situation in east Europe.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Sunday 20th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 423,855,986 Global Deaths 5,885,014

- UK: Queen tests positive for Covid

- UK: Johnson: Do not throw Covid caution to the wind

- UK: PM won't say if he will quit if he broke Covid law

- US: Experts warn ‘not to get too cocky’ as nation contemplates life after Covid

- Australia: Country prepares to welcome back tourists, but operators warn it will be a slow start

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Monday 21st of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 425,163,862 Global Deaths 5,890,511

- UK: Johnson announces end to Covid self-isolation from Thursday

- UK: Free Covid tests in England will end on 1 April, Boris Johnson announces

- UK: Queen works on light duties after Covid symptoms

- Germany: Germany hopes protein-based Covid vaccine will sway sceptics

- Australia: Hugs, tears and Vegemite as Australia reopens international borders

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Tuesday 22nd of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 427,005,566 Global Deaths 5,900,961

- Hong Kong: Mandatory Covid tests for all Hong Kong residents

- Ireland: Irish government to end most Covid measure from Monday

- Booze: Scottish alcohol deaths increased during pandemic

- Canada: Canada extends emergency powers after trucker blockades ended

- UK: Sturgeon: 'I must express frustration at the position of the UK government'

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Thursday 24th of February 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 430,507,279 Global Deaths 5,922,220

- Hong Kong: Hong Kong to allow in doctors from mainland China as Covid cases overwhelm hospitals

- Vaccines: Sanofi and GSK seek approval for Covid-19 vaccine

- UK: Student claimed £50k loan for firm he did not have

- UK: Covid isolation rules end in England

- Iceland: Iceland to lift all remaining coronavirus restrictions on Friday

- Japan: Japan to accept J&J vaccine for border entry next month

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Going back to post #1. Socioeconomic fallout. Even if COVID is "over" at some point in the near future, we will be seeing things deteriorate across the globe as we are today. I don't want to get into the politics of it, but I was expecting to see the type of conflict were seeing. World economies were damaged and it has completely changed how other nations view themselves on the world stage. COVID has really rocked the world into a state we havent seen before. I want to say since WW2 but the world was different back then. We weren't so interconnected with other nations and things move much more rapidly today, its uncharted territory. It doesn't take more than a high school history class for you to understand what follows instability. Lets hope for the love of all that is great, that things don't get worse.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Going back to post #1. Socioeconomic fallout. Even if COVID is "over" at some point in the near future, we will be seeing things deteriorate across the globe as we are today. I don't want to get into the politics of it, but I was expecting to see the type of conflict were seeing. World economies were damaged and it has completely changed how other nations view themselves on the world stage. COVID has really rocked the world into a state we havent seen before. I want to say since WW2 but the world was different back then. We weren't so interconnected with other nations and things move much more rapidly today, its uncharted territory. It doesn't take more than a high school history class for you to understand what follows instability. Lets hope for the love of all that is great, that things don't get worse.

I was going to say a state we have not seen in our generation as I read "haven't seen before" but I see you already mentioned WW2. While I agree in some ways the world was not as heavily linked or manufactured so closely tied to international trade there are still lots of similarities in economic instability that causes governments to look for easy answers that place the blame on others. The other facet being uncertainty causes people to look to strong vocal leaders and strong vocal leaders look to prove themselves by picking fights.

I still stand by my earlier call so many years ago that the best move would have been to do nothing, no mandates, no lockdowns, or government stimulus. Let the people decide for themselves if they so choose to wear a mask, go outside or party onward like rock stars. And honestly, the graphs of infected/dead would more than likely be the same as we have been spending so many hours pouring over like tea leaves in the hopes to understand what's going on. For there has been no conclusive metric so far documented that shows any of the measures taken have done anything to curb or flatten the infection rate. Even now while they are calling an end to the pandemic nothing has truly changed they are offering up another booster for the vaccinated and this end seems to be more politically motivated than anything else.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Aloha chums,

With all COVID regulations being dropped in the country I live in today, including self isolation if infected no longer being required, I have had a bit of a think and it seems like the right time to bring the daily corner updates to a close, accepting it may reopen should a new variant emerge and the whole shebang ramp up again. I'm not going anywhere I'll still be here chatting and chipping in articles I see which are interesting, however the dailies don't seem to be needed any more.

Be under no mistake, the pandemic has not ended and people are still dying here in their hundreds every day, however with endemic status now achieved and restrictions abandoned it seems there is little point in repeating the same repeated reports day after day after day.

Aloha,
NNBF.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It doesn't take more than a high school history class for you to understand what follows instability. Lets hope for the love of all that is great, that things don't get worse.
Amen to that, dude.

I still stand by my earlier call so many years ago that the best move would have been to do nothing, no mandates, no lockdowns, or government stimulus.
I saw what happened in the UK when this was done when Omicron came along, with my own eyes with my feet on the ground in local villages and towns. At one point one in 20 people in the UK were infected and out of action - there were not enough fuel tankers with drivers to deliver fuel to filling stations - Public Transportation ran out of staff to be able to run a sufficient service - Hospitals fell below staffing required to offer not just COVID but a safe level of all health services in some areas... Imagine that but the world over, and I think the level of socioeconomic fallout would have been same or similar to bring the world to the position it is looking at now.

And I would be hesitant to put all the blame for the current world crisis at the feet of COVID-19 - what is happening at present has been unfolding since at least 2014 and the instability caused by the pandemic would have had a big effect restrictions or not.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Aloha chums,

With all COVID regulations being dropped in the country I live in today, including self isolation if infected no longer being required, I have had a bit of a think and it seems like the right time to bring the daily corner updates to a close, accepting it may reopen should a new variant emerge and the whole shebang ramp up again. I'm not going anywhere I'll still be here chatting and chipping in articles I see which are interesting, however the dailies don't seem to be needed any more.

Be under no mistake, the pandemic has not ended and people are still dying here in their hundreds every day, however with endemic status now achieved and restrictions abandoned it seems there is little point in repeating the same repeated reports day after day after day.

Aloha,
NNBF.
I cannot say enough to thank you for your contribution to this thread. Honestly dude, you have been absolutely amazing by keeping us all up to date on the global news. Thank you thank you thank you. Your hard work and dedication to bringing us the news has not gone unnoticed and is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Amen to that, dude.

I saw what happened in the UK when this was done when Omicron came along, with my own eyes with my feet on the ground in local villages and towns. At one point one in 20 people in the UK were infected and out of action - there were not enough fuel tankers with drivers to deliver fuel to filling stations - Public Transportation ran out of staff to be able to run a sufficient service - Hospitals fell below staffing required to offer not just COVID but a safe level of all health services in some areas... Imagine that but the world over, and I think the level of socioeconomic fallout would have been same or similar to bring the world to the position it is looking at now.
The thing is when one compares countries and even States in the USA with those who have strong restrictions against those who have low restrictions the data does not show a difference. Omicron was very contagious and the vaccine did not seem to offer much resistance to its spread. Top that with wearness of the pandemic and a decrease in staffing of all kinds (heck I have been shocked to find fast food places closed at 6 PM on a weeknight) and a lot of the resource issues are not directly related to workers being sick at that moment.

And I would be hesitant to put all the blame for the current world crisis at the feet of COVID-19 - what is happening at present has been unfolding since at least 2014 and the instability caused by the pandemic would have had a big effect restrictions or not.
You are right that the pandemic would have had a ripple effect with or without restrictions. What I am suggesting is we have not seen the bottom yet and the reaction took the ripple that would have been and amplified it significantly. It is like the overreaction to a car merging into your lane where if you did nothing they would have bumped into you and done some cosmetic damage but instead you yanked the wheel and end up losing control and flipping tumbling down the road in spectacular test fashion.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I cannot say enough to thank you for your contribution to this thread. Honestly dude, you have been absolutely amazing by keeping us all up to date on the global news. Thank you thank you thank you. Your hard work and dedication to bringing us the news has not gone unnoticed and is greatly appreciated.
Ditto.

But beyond that thank you for sharing your point of view and experiences as I look forward to the time when we can gather once again and drink beer in each other's company.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
@Bambooza, Welcome back!
My advice: Stop thinking about COVID and get back into SC and Discord! I mean you don't have to but that's my advice.
Working on it. We completed step one of the relocation and are now temporarily living in an apt while we remodel our house before putting it up for sale. Step two will come in June when we move to California for the new job. While COVID has been disruptive, it has also opened up opportunities for me so it's not all bad.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Working on it. We completed step one of the relocation and are now temporarily living in an apt while we remodel our house before putting it up for sale. Step two will come in June when we move to California for the new job. While COVID has been disruptive, it has also opened up opportunities for me so it's not all bad.
That is fantastic news. Better weather forecasts in your near future. Earthquake potential notwithstanding.

Forgot your password?